R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #256
Tech Initiate

My shocks just arrived. I did a test fit on the front. The prospecs came with the delrin bushing on top and the metal ball in the lower however the ball was too narrow. They included a couple of wider balls in the bag. Only issue I have is the coil retainer hits the lower control arm at full droop. Wondering if this will cause an issue down the road.

Last edited by novajustin; 01-05-2017 at 06:08 PM.
novajustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #257
Tech Master

Try swapping the lower eyelets from the stock shocks onto your upgrade shocks and see if they fit better.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #258
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Try swapping the lower eyelets from the stock shocks onto your upgrade shocks and see if they fit better.
i was thinking about doing that, but the shafts on the new shocks are quite a bit larger than the stock shocks. i could probably thread them on just fine, but then i wouldn't be able to go back to the stock shocks if i ever needed to. which probably would never happen but you never know!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #259
Tech Initiate

Finally took the time to take the front diff out. Going to replace the pinion bearings while I have it apart. The stock ones are still ok but I know it's only a matter of time. I'm wondering if I should replace the axle bearings at the same time. Has anyone had issues with the front axle bearings failing?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #260
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajustin View Post
Finally took the time to take the front diff out. Going to replace the pinion bearings while I have it apart. The stock ones are still ok but I know it's only a matter of time. I'm wondering if I should replace the axle bearings at the same time. Has anyone had issues with the front axle bearings failing?
So far the only bearing issues ive had were the pinion bearings grenading.. Most of the other bearings were crunchy though so I would recommend getting a bearing kit like the one from FastEddy because its only a matter of time before others start failing as well..
Fordboi415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #261
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboi415 View Post
So far the only bearing issues ive had were the pinion bearings grenading.. Most of the other bearings were crunchy though so I would recommend getting a bearing kit like the one from FastEddy because its only a matter of time before others start failing as well..
Yeah I went ahead and replaced them. I'll be ordering a fast eddy kit soon. I ordered a pack of 4 boca bearings for the pinions and swapped them out before they seized. For the out drive bearings I just went to my lhs and got some sealed bearings they had.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #262
Tech Master

Quote:
i was thinking about doing that, but the shafts on the new shocks are quite a bit larger than the stock shocks. i could probably thread them on just fine, but then i wouldn't be able to go back to the stock shocks if i ever needed to. which probably would never happen but you never know!
Maybe you can get a spare set of shock hardware, and drill-out the lower eyelets to fit the larger shock shafts.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #263
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Maybe you can get a spare set of shock hardware, and drill-out the lower eyelets to fit the larger shock shafts.
I just went ahead and used the stock eyelets. Even with those the lower cook buckets just barely touch the lower control arms. The 12mm bodies on the prospec shocks use a a really wide spring. They don't hit as bad now so I'm not worried about them.

One note about the prospec rear shocks on the front... the springs are way too soft. I've ordered a spring kit for them. They use a longer spring than the powerstrokes which sucks. My lhs had a spring tuning kit in stock for the powerstrokes but when I measure they were about 1/2" too short
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #264
Tech Initiate

Ok so I'm pretty disappointed in the prospec shocks. The stock prospec springs were way too soft. The spring tuning kit from proline is out of stock. I searched and searched and found that the losi scte ten uses the same spring size for their rear shocks as the prospec shocks use. Bought a spring kit. Put the stiffest springs on which are 3.6, still too soft. Cranked the preload almost all the way in to finally get my ride height. Just doesn't seem right. I think I'll be ordering up powerstrokes as they seem to have more springs available. Just an FYI for anyone else looking at these shocks for the front of their Rey. The powerstroke xt's in the rear are great. A little undersprung, but it's not bad. I think without the spare tire on it would be good. They don't buck as bad as the stockers. There seems to be no spring tuning kits available for them which kind of sucks.

On a separate note, I installed a savox 1258 servo. Steering is very quick, however it seems to be pretty weak at a stand still. Not sure if that's because of the esc or because I'm on 2s. Also, since I installed the servo, I sometimes have trouble with reverse. The truck just will not go in reverse occasionally. I'm wondering if the esc is just going out or if maybe the rx is going bad?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #265
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try a glitch buster CAP
they help that issue with some servos
monsterbrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #266
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
try a glitch buster CAP
they help that issue with some servos
X2 i added a glitch buster to my setup when up upgraded to the savox 1286 servo. I read that Savox servos are power hungry and it was recommended. I run 2s on my track and 3s occasionally with no issues so far..
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #267
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboi415 View Post
X2 i added a glitch buster to my setup when up upgraded to the savox 1286 servo. I read that Savox servos are power hungry and it was recommended. I run 2s on my track and 3s occasionally with no issues so far..
I had read about the problems with power draw so I put a glitch buster in at the same time as the servo. I had the issue right away. I tried taking the glitch buster out and nothing seemed to change. I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-Glitch-Buster-Capacitor/dp/B0077R5I4M

Maybe I got a bad one?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #268
Tech Rookie

Quote:

Maybe I got a bad one?
Yea could have been faulty.. i just used one from Spektrum..
Old 01-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #269
Tech Initiate

Hello all, was just wanting to know if anyone regularly races their Baja Rey at races and has seen any success? I'm racing pro 2wd buggy and pro2 SC right now, just really like the realism of the trophy truck. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #270
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDarrah View Post
Hello all, was just wanting to know if anyone regularly races their Baja Rey at races and has seen any success? I'm racing pro 2wd buggy and pro2 SC right now, just really like the realism of the trophy truck. Thanks!
There was one owner that tried early on. Just to see how it would do. If remember right it didn't. Now it was running against standard trucks so not too suprised.
Billy Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote