Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
False Peaking 3000HVs >

False Peaking 3000HVs

False Peaking 3000HVs

Old 11-09-2002, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow False Peaking 3000HVs

I recently purchasesed a 16x7 INDI charger and two 3000 1.21V batteries from Integy. I built them correctly and charged them. For some reason, they are false peaking every time. I charge at 6 amps with a 7 mV threshold.

The end charging results are always around this:
1233 mah
12:33 minutes
9.044 peak voltage

I use deans ultra plugs. I have a male plug with bare leads on the posotive and negative and clip the aligator clips to that.

Please tell me if I am doing anything wrong or anything I should do differently so the batteries don't false peak. All of these products are brand new so I don't know if any of them are defective.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

cells will often false peak for the first few charges - I'd only start worrying about it if it's still happening after a dozen charges.

I recommend the charging advice at www.smc-racing.com
Old 11-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow

I e-mailed Integy and they told me to charge it at 5 amps with a 14 mV threshold. So I did and it only charged up to about 2500 mah with a peak voltage of 9.525V.

I think this is still a false peak cause it is supposed to be a 3000mah. But maybe that is just the way it is. At the end of the charge it acted funny. right before the charger turned off the voltage was jumping up and down a lot. Like from 9.525 down to 9.475. It was changing really quick for some reason. Is this ok?

Old 11-09-2002, 12:19 PM
dw
Tech Adept

Are you sure the voltage threshold is 14 mV?
It's just according to the figures below the voltage has dropped off by 50mV which shouldn't happen on a 14mV threshold.
Or have you got flex charge turned on or something?

3000's rarely charge to anything like 3000 maH.
Should reach about 2700 as a minimum though.

What temperature are you charging at?
If the ambient temperature is lower than about 15 degrees centigrade then the voltage will drop off in the middle of the charge causing the pack to false peak.

Try tham on somebody elses charger.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run SMC batteries and here is what you should be setting your charger up for on Sanyo 3000HV cells

Charge rate 6amps
Delta peak 0.07volts per pack
No flex

I have not used your charger so i dont know how it sets up the paramater but you need to set it up so that your peak detect is set for 0.07v drop on a pack. some set up for pack voltage drop others per cell. What ever yours does just make sure its .07v for the entire pack.

What you descibed above is what happens when a pack is near its peak. Your charger is monitoring voltage and when it peaks and then drops of .07 volts it is done. Yours from your description peak at .05volt cut off. (this is ok but not optimum)

A fully charged HV pack will come off very warm to hot this is normal,, Dont pay too much attention to mah readings on the charger its not ever going to say 3000 so dont take too much from it. IF you charger shows a charge time this is more usefull. On my T35 i expect 1400seconds or so to fully charge my packs. MAH is only usefull during discharging or cycling.

False peaking on HV will happen if your running too low a peak detection as is in your case
Old 11-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow

Well, both of my batteries are exactly the same and have been charged the same amount of times. One of them seems to be fine because in ended at 9.450V and had 2850 mah put into it for 34:00 minutes

My other pack, also peaked at 9.497V but only had 2305 mah put into it for 28:00 minutes.

I charged both batteries at the same rates, why does one of them not charge fully? I hope it is not a bad pack.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

were both batteries discharged before you did that test? - because those figures look more like one of the packs had more in it to start with
Old 11-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

yes, they were discharged to 5.4 volts before I charged eighther of them.

But now i have yet another problem! I plugged in one of the batteries and it just didn't work. the other battery worked so now i know that the one battery has a loose connection or something. Another reason I know is a soon as it was done charging, I touched it and it acted like i unplugged it. So i know it was all charged good. So the problem is how do I discharge it so I can re- solder the battery bars? I tried discharging it but it says no battery error.

I have presed on each joint while trying to make it work but that doesn't even work. Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Try cycling them once or twice more. Then check the numbers. When I put my HV's together for the first time I cycled them three time over the period of two days. Then trayed them after they were done. Have had killer packs since. Try it and see what happens.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

If you put the pack in a equalizing tray you'll be able to get each cell discharged individually, then you can rebuild the pack.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

well, unfortunately, i do not have a tray. About how much would a good one cost?

Since I dont have a tray right now, should i go ahead and rebuild the pack? It would be pretty bad if it shorts since it is fully charged.

thanks
Old 11-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

For the time being, untill you get a tray, make up a single bulb discharger. Use an 1157 automotive bulb and a couple of alligator clips. Solder one wire with clip to the brass side of the bulb and a second wire with clip to both of the contact buttons on the bottom of the bulb.

Polarity doesn't matter here. Clip the bulb to each cell individually and wait untill the bulb gets really dim. Do each cell one at a time. Then resolder the pack.

This will get you by for now.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow

just today, i figured i would plug in the batteries in my car to see if they would work again, and they actually did! Pretty cool.

So I was discharging one of my batteries and it was fine. Then I decided to cycle it because it was acting wierd. When the charge part was almost over, it said "open circuit error". I wiggled my batt a little bit i could see one of the bars was loose. I don't see how charging could break off one of the bars.

I am so mad. I am depending on these batteries. They keep getting messed up. I have to do a science project with them and i have had to get a few extensions just because of my batteries not working.

can anybody help me?

thanks
Old 11-24-2002, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just charging the pack will not break a "good" solder connection on a pack. Either the solder joint was not preped well and sufficently flowed or the pack was subjected to a very hard impact at some point and the softest part of the connection let go.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Angry GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I hate these batteries, eveything they do is bad!
Out of about 10 charges, all but one has been a false peak. Today i just fixed the batteries wear the joints were broken, then i charged them.

The results for one battery were rediculous! this pack was fully discharged down to 5.4V.
the battery peaked at:
465 mah (yes, only 465 mah) - 9.569V - @ 5:49 minutes

2nd battery
2227 mah - 9.432V - @ 26:55 minutes

the settings for the charger were 5amps and 14mV threshold.

what the heck is wrong with these dumb packs?!?!?!?! is it something i did wrong?

please help me if you can

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.