R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   ARRMA Raider XL BLX - Looking for upgrades (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/936419-arrma-raider-xl-blx-looking-upgrades.html)

SwollenMinnow 03-31-2016 03:12 AM

ARRMA Raider XL BLX - Looking for upgrades

Hello all!

I'm brand new here, and have just stepped into the world of big boy R/C. I can tell it's going to be easy to get carried away with this hobby.

After some research into what I'd like for my first r/c, I went with an ARRMA Raider XL BLX. I was able to pick it up on sale for a modest price, I've always loved buggies, and the various feedback I'd seen about ARRMA wasn't horrible so I jumped in.

I'd like to start getting some upgrades specifically some nicer shocks. The plastic shock bodies and caps that come stock on the Raider are not great, and I don't see them lasting long since I'm still learning. I popped one open and dumped the oil after a pretty mild power slide into the side of a parked car's tire.

Since this is my first r/c I'd like to see it have a good lifespan before I step up into the nicer brands. Any direction/info/advice you fine folk could give would be much appreciated.

Welch189 05-25-2016 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SwollenMinnow (Post 14471073)
Hello all!

I'm brand new here, and have just stepped into the world of big boy R/C. I can tell it's going to be easy to get carried away with this hobby.

After some research into what I'd like for my first r/c, I went with an ARRMA Raider XL BLX. I was able to pick it up on sale for a modest price, I've always loved buggies, and the various feedback I'd seen about ARRMA wasn't horrible so I jumped in.

I'd like to start getting some upgrades specifically some nicer shocks. The plastic shock bodies and caps that come stock on the Raider are not great, and I don't see them lasting long since I'm still learning. I popped one open and dumped the oil after a pretty mild power slide into the side of a parked car's tire.

Since this is my first r/c I'd like to see it have a good lifespan before I step up into the nicer brands. Any direction/info/advice you fine folk could give would be much appreciated.

I bought a Raider BLX 3 years ago and love it. I bought ECX aluminum adjustable shocks for the front and back. They work really good on the buggy and are reasonably priced. The buggy itself is very durable, mine has tumbled down 30 ft rock paths and didn't phase it. Lol. I did put a Sidewinder 3 ESC in mine because I fried the stock one, but it was my fault. I only run the 6 cell NIMH in mine because its fast enough and I think it would get out of control on LIPO

Welch189 05-25-2016 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Welch189 (Post 14544356)
I bought a Raider BLX 3 years ago and love it. I bought ECX aluminum adjustable shocks for the front and back. They work really good on the buggy and are reasonably priced. The buggy itself is very durable, mine has tumbled down 30 ft rock paths and didn't phase it. Lol. I did put a Sidewinder 3 ESC in mine because I fried the stock one, but it was my fault. I only run the 6 cell NIMH in mine because its fast enough and I think it would get out of control on LIPO

The only weak spot I've found on it is the servo box. I crushed it in a full speed head on collision with a tree. It was a simple fix and only cost like $5-$7. Other than that the thing is like a tank. I don't run any of the aftermarket bumpers or anything.

SwollenMinnow 05-28-2016 04:08 AM

You wouldn't happen to know the parts numbers for the shocks would you? :D

Welch189 05-30-2016 10:46 AM

Sorry. I've had them for a couple years and lost my package for them. They were almost exact length of the stock ones maybe a mm longer. If I run across it I will post it for you. I'm pretty tough on this buggy and they haven't sputtered at all.

Johnny59 01-24-2017 08:55 PM

Hi everyone im also new in thia forum i bought an arrma raider xl and upgraded to brushless great looking ride but i seem to break the front towers also dogbones bent it cant seem to handle 3sel anybody with these problems?