Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I want to start racing rc buggys >

I want to start racing rc buggys

I want to start racing rc buggys

Old 03-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I want to start racing rc buggys

Hey, I want to start racing rc buggys and I'm on a tight budget, 😁, I would like a ready to run (RTR) buggy, I am 10 yrs old! Is the Team Associated B4.2 good? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I want to start racing rc buggies

Hey guys, I've been going to Oc Rc Raceway and been watching races, they all have electric powered buggys (1/10 scale), I thought I might want to try but don't know where to start!! What kind of buggy do I get? All help is appreciated!

THANKS
Old 03-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You have a local track? Go see what type of track it is and what others there are running. Typically, Associated and Losi tend to have the most support from fellow local racers. For an RTR, you're likely going to end up with the Associated B4.2 RTR, although Serpent offers some good looking RTRs for just a little more. If there's any Serpent support in your area, that might be worth looking at, especially if everyone at your track is running mid motor.

For batteries, I'd recommend a shorty from SMC.

Another option is to try and pick up a used car up from someone at the track.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

T4.1 rtr is plenty for just starting! Welcome go buggy world!
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM
LT
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BD07
Hey, I want to start racing rc buggys and I'm on a tight budget, 😁, I would like a ready to run (RTR) buggy, I am 10 yrs old! Is the Team Associated B4.2 good? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
B4.2RS is a great starter buggy if your on a tight budget, handles well, parts are cheap and it's competitive considering it's age. Although if are serious about racing and can afford something better you should do that as the B4.2 will be quickly outgrown as your skills improve.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:53 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default B5m

Get a b5m artr off this site. Since you're 10, maybe someone will be cool enough to rebuild the diff for you and make sure the shocks are in perfct order before they send it. Many b5m's can be had on this site or better yet at your local track. Good luck and you'll be having a lot of fun buddy
Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Welcome to this great hobby!!!
Arent the B4 series buggies abit weak? Especially for someone starting out it might be frustrating having to change parts after every few crashes. I would go with with what JAE said and go for a used B5M. They are very affordable right now.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys!!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juicy74
Welcome to this great hobby!!!
Arent the B4 series buggies abit weak? Especially for someone starting out it might be frustrating having to change parts after every few crashes. I would go with with what JAE said and go for a used B5M. They are very affordable right now.
No.

The B4x buggies are quite durable and parts availability is still there. Personally I'd suggest either the 4.2rs or the 22 RTR OR if you can swing a little more, the RB6 RTR. Parts are a tad more expensive for the RB6 but it is the superior buggy.

The tricky bit in all this is that the best likely car right now for a beginner would be the B5M because of it's versatility but an RTR version is still not available.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

biggest durability issue I could remember with the B4 line was the a-arms and itwasn't much at that, assuming you had the alloy front hingepin brace. Then, it was the bulkhead.

before I sold my B4 to a buddy I put on the RPM front a-arms, things a tank and he beats it with a 8.5 motor for bashing. Loves the thing.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

This is probably the most generic answer you will get, but for good reason; I would recommend going to the track and see what most other guys are running. Team Associated is usually the go-to. They will most likely be around as long as RC is and parts are always plentiful. But its good to go with something similar to the other guys that are running at your local track so you can get support from them by either sharing setup tips or spare parts if you break something unexpected.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

The b4.2 is a great buggy. parts are relatively cheap and readily available. with practice, you can be very competitive.

try to find a used b4.x or b5.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't even run AE cars but I will second a B5M. OCRC is high bite so you'll want the advantage of mid motor and the buggy is pretty hard to break with parts support everywhere.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Put together a B5M and never look back! It's the way to go for sure. The B4 line was good, but the new generation of cars is significantly more durable! Durable = track time and less money in the long run spent on replacing front arms and shock towers etc. Wait until a b5m comes up in the used case at OCRC and pick one up!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
Put together a B5M and never look back! It's the way to go for sure. The B4 line was good, but the new generation of cars is significantly more durable! Durable = track time and less money in the long run spent on replacing front arms and shock towers etc. Wait until a b5m comes up in the used case at OCRC and pick one up!
From what I've seen at the track, B5M trumps everything else