Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Recommend a decent budget friendly 2wd buggy? >

Recommend a decent budget friendly 2wd buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend a decent budget friendly 2wd buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

If you consider all the important variables a B5M Lite is absolutely the best bang for the buck that there is. The price is fantastic and the car is ready to race and competitive out of the box. You don't need a thing. Its durable, great parts support from the manufacturer and aftermarket, and there probably isn't a hobby shop that doesn't have parts.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WBB
Need some recommendations for a decent car. I'm looking for cars that are a decent value. We don't need something blinged out or some piece of crap that breaks every time you look at it. There are no hobby shops or tracks in our area at all so we have nothing to consider in that respect. I am looking for something that is fairly budget friendly as we have a lot of extended family and friends I would like to get involved as well. The more we have the better and keeping the budget at the lower end should help that. I'm not looking for cheap but value.

Here is what I'm looking for pretty much in order of priority:

Race car. No "bashers."
Parts availability.
Value for money.
Decent durability.
Minimum required upgrades due to design flaws.
Available as kit/arr/rtr (Doesn't seem to exist but this is a wishlist).
RM/MM convertible.

The idea is to find a decent buggy that isn't too expensive so that anyone interested can join us without breaking the bank. I'm going to build a backyard track at my house for my son and I and another track at one of our family hangout spots. Both will be outdoor clay tracks. I want a reasonably affordable car for this but a car that will be somewhat competitive if we travel to a track somewhere.

So far I'm leaning towards a rear motor B5. Associated's history, parts availability, and the price of the kit are all positives. I did consider the HobbyKing BSR BZ-222 as it seemed like an ideal very budget friendly car that was a decent race car. Unfortunately parts support is non existent so that's not an option. They really do seem to be making some excellent value race capable cars but no parts availability ruins them.

Anyone have suggestions on a better budget friendly kit? I've done a good bit of research and the B5 seems like it's about as good as I'm going to get. Just wanted to ask in case I overlooked something before I start ordering stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions.
The b5m is a very nice buggy but can get expensive. The losi 22 2.0 is a much more cost efficient way to go and still very competitive. Not to mention they are tanks compared to the b5m.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 4x4milk
The b5m is a very nice buggy but can get expensive. The losi 22 2.0 is a much more cost efficient way to go and still very competitive. Not to mention they are tanks compared to the b5m.
What?! I've had the losi 2.0 and I've driven my buddies 3.0's all the time and me with my b5m I am the one in the pits waiting an hour for my next race NOT wrenching like my losi buddies who break thing much more often than me and are probably better drivers than myself. Not saying the losi 2.0 is fragile at all and IMO is much more durable than the 3.0 but dude the B5M is seriously a masterpiece! Hats off to AE!
B4 series were good buggies but didn't have the durability r even close to what they achieved with the B5
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

The B5M lite is the way to go. I have raced mine 2 months on clay and 6 months of off-road carpet and I'm still running all the original chassis and suspension parts, even the front arms are original. I have worn out 10 sets of tires though.
Order a Trifecta rear wing with the kit, as the stock one only last 2 days. Also some of the ball links tighten up and have to be squeezed at the start of each day. Trackstar 17.5 V2 with a 34 pinion or a Trinity 24K with a 31 pinion for motor and a Hobbywing juststock XR10 esc Bluebird BMS 616 servo.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I have to say at least for stock motor if you are looking, that new maclan motor really screams. Very impressed so far.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

If you have no hobby shops or tracks in the area and want RTR or ARTR.

The RC10 B4.2 buggy comes as a RTR car. Yes the B4.2 has been eclipsed by the B5, but you say you are just trying to get a local group going. Seems it would be a great solution.

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...ucks/RC10B4.2/

299 on the TA website will get you everything. Or even cheaper on tower hobbies with coupon codes.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

He said he's on a budget not straight broke. The B4.2 was a good car but NOT DURABLE AT ALL. The B5M fixed that and then some.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default Used

Buy used.

Also dex210v1 or v2 sell for 100 to 125 with tires and spare parts. That is crazy value, just ask if they still have the parts to go from mm to rm and you can tackle anything.

Durango or Losi 2.0 come with both motor position mounting options.

If you want to get the most help from others at the track Losi and Associated always seem to have a large following.

Stay away from AE if you run carpet winter and dirt summer. Horrible value. You need two cars one for indoor carpet and one for dirt if you have an indoor season that far south. If it's all one season then it's a great option.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 AM
WBB
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I'll be getting a pair of B5M FLs. I'll pick up an additional used car like a B4.2 or B5 as a kind of loaner for peeps to try out. Hopefully that'll work out decent enough.

I really wanted to try to get one car that would work for everyone in order to have an easier time with parts. Due to wildly different budgets, preferences for kit or rtr and other things that was much more of a pipe dream than I initially thought. I wanted a kit for the kiddo to get the building experience. I also didn't wanna spend $1k on one car! I need at least two. One brother won't be happy with anything less than a blinged out xray or something similar and the other is probably going after a few used b4.2s for his crew. I'll gladly settle for having the same class of cars so we can race. Trying to race everything from 1/18th scale trucks to an old original e maxx and everything in between really isn't that much fun! This thread has given me lots of suggestions for good cars at different price points. Thanks a bunch.

Mid motor looks to be the hot thing these days. The last buggy I had (~30 years ago) was a Tamiya Hornet!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:26 AM
WBB
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Eddie_E
Also some of the ball links tighten up and have to be squeezed at the start of each day.
I've noticed this mentioned in other threads about various cars. There is a sizing tool used on helis. Will they not work so great on the cars? They work pretty good on hard plastic links but not as well if the links are on the softer side. Maybe the links are too soft? Too many different sizes to keep up with? They're very common with helis. A quick google didn't turn up much car related.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

I just give a quick squeeze with curved needle nose pliers if I feel binding. The links are different from brand to brand and even the from the 4.2 generation to the B5M generation. The good news is the new larger size are very durable and they almost never break. Helis are probably all clones of the TRex and that's why they are mostly the same.