Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Reviving 4 wheel drive! >

Reviving 4 wheel drive!

Reviving 4 wheel drive!

Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Jon-If you do it behind the servo there is nothing to keep the tunnel down.So you would have some massive flex in that part and allow dirt and other things to get in.
You would have to make some brace for it.
Thats why we did it between the servo mounts for years.By using an associated spacer it keeps the tunnel intact.

I do mine the way I did in #2 or Like DrOlds has his.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does the XX4 have enough room for the Novak SS+ brushless ESC? If that one can fit then the others can probably fit.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hey, I've got a question for the sponsored guys how have plenty of test time. We all usually run 2 stage foams in the rear and from what I've gathered stock foams up front. Now my question is we use the two stages for added tractions and acceleration . Why wouldn't this be as benificial up front on a four wheel drive. unlike typical buggies they need the extra traciont and side-bite as well right. So have any of you guys actually expereminted w/ this and what were the results?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Rear 2 stage helps with the tire rolling over.

The front doesn't have this issue as it is going the direction the car is going(or close to it most of the time)

The front tires don't have the amount side load as the rears do.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

The X - 5 is a hop-up kit for the xx-4 which sells for $229 at www.4wdrc.com The Kit contains everything you need to convert a 3-belt drive xx-4 into a single-belt drive X - 5. The car uses the xx-4 suspension and steering put onto a new chassis. Regardless of how the xx-4 belt tunnels are modified, the X - 5 is easier and simpler to work on. The X - 5 is just less complicated.

There is also an X - 5 conversion kit for the xxx-4 which converts that car to the same xx-4 suspension X - 5. The xxx-4 conversion kit is $359.

Finally, we sell the Entire Car at $499. This kit includes everything that comes with the re-released xx-4 to make an X - 5 with all new graphite parts.

Because of the way the x - 5 single-belt system requires all the xx-4 components to be re-located, the weight distribution, while virtually identical at each wheel to the xx-4, is subtly changed. Many drivers say the X - 5 is actually easier to drive than the xx-4, going through corners and over bumps even faster. The X - 5 is the ROAR National Champion.

www.4wdrc.com is the only site devoted exclusively to 4WD, with info about every manufacturer, news, results, and space on the forum for and about all 4WD world-wide.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just had my first full night at the track with the XX4WE. OMFG! Why Losi ever went away from this car is beyond me. It's so good. Right off the bat. I used a little different setup than what the kit shows. Kind of went through a bunch of the older setups on the Losi site to get an idea where to start and it's been dialed since. Some minor adjusting of the one-way and tire changes for track condition and the car is great. And as far as the drive train not being efficient enough, I had more than enough punch and no major motor wear issues, nothing.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just built my XX-4 WE, and I can't seem to figure out why people had trouble working on this car!!! Other than some fit and finish problems (some molded parts looked like CRAP), It turned out beautifully.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Mr. Sinclair, hold on to one of those X-5 conversions for the XX-4. When I get back from Egypt next month, I want to get it. The way that car ran at CRCRC a couple of weeks ago made me want one even more. My XXX-4 wasn't slow, but Paul's car seemed more consistant.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Young Chazz, how often are you guys updating the site with info on all 4wd vehicles that are submitted and what counts as news for the site?

I also heard a rumor that you guys have a 2wd vehicle in the works, the X-6 or something?

Good luck with your vehicle, I have seen it go and it was pretty impressive.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Well I look at the price is in the hobby shop, because that is hopefully where most people get their racing equiptment....screw e-bay to hell!!! I think anybody who buys all of their equiptment on e-bay shouldn't be allowed to race...LOL well I do know they will be cursed with not having anywhere to race!! Why... do you think that few bucks you pay to race keeps the track open..... if you do you must be the absolute biggest idiot to ever live and don't deserve to breathe....

Most first time racers get their stuff in the hobbyshop, why cause it's almost always and impulse buy.... racing looks cool and I wanna try...

The problem is most guys like yourself don't think about the guy that comes in with his 2 kids to race and each one wants to get in on the fun.... What about the 13 year old kid who mows lawns all year to buy his fvirst hobbygrade RC to race... or the 70 year old grandfather who lives on his social security but wants to find something he can do with his grandchild on Saturday afternoon.... or the poor family down the road who wanna keep their kids away from drugs and other illegal activities??? these people can't afford the high priced racing gear you can and may not have access to a computer..... are you gonna let them borrow your back-up gear every week??? I don't think so.... me personally if I had it I'd give it to them, but I don't race at every track and I can't afford it, but if I could..... but having the access to the low priced spec gear at the track, that they will definately be able to at least compete with gives these people access, and remember those 8-15 year old kids will be 16-18 someday and they will be making better money their selves, so eventually there will be funds available for them to step up, or they can slowly buy the higher end equiptment that we deal with and use it on their spec cars until they can afford the chassis and batteries and finally step up... with the racing knowledge and skill that it will take to compete....

So go ahead and be greedy and take the "if you can't afford to keep up then go away" attitude so many of us have in this and almost every competetive hobby.....

You obviously haven't been to a track that has a good spec program and seen the kids who race it watch the "big boys" run and admire them thinking "I wanna be there someday".... but still they go out and race and be happy with their slow, poor handling cars.... laughing and giggling, just happy to be able to join in on the fun.....

If you don't get it... probably you never will..... I feel sorry for you
Look bro I buy where I can save money. Here in Wisconsin we can get Raped violently when it comes to getting into the sport. If ebay should go to hell then the BST section of this website should go to hell......Look I don't have kids and when I do I hope that I can race with them. I buy from my local shops here but sometime I go to Ebay OR HERE, to buy my things. It's so very hard to get any 4-wheel drive class started here in Wisconsin. It gets cold here for 5-6 months where we cannot race indoors and electric touring starts up and off-road has very little following other than 10th scale off-road. Carpet is easier than dirt. Everybody complaines about prices, there is really nothing we can do about. Your telling me that Pro's go to their local Pro Shop to buy their stuff? Your telling me if you saw a deal on-line verses the local storeyou'll still buy from the local store?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

And Impact I'm not saying if you don't have the money don't race I'm just telling you it's everywhere. EVEN IN FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was a revolt in Paintball a few years back that is being revived again. There is nothing that we as racers can really do. I sold all of my paintball stuff to race R/C. That's the ONLY way I could afford what I do now. All I do is race. I try helping my local track out when I can and it's hard because I'm really not part of the click that R/Cing has. Maybe because I've been black listed for buying on Ebay...who knows.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

And lastly Impact....
That line about me helping people out when they need stuff....I couldn't tell you how many times I've given parts away FOR FREE.....Batteries that have been broken when handed back to me....TONS of parts to help any way I can......Don't go assuming things when you don't know jack crap about me buddy.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sorry to sound like the Internet Police, but can you guys take this to PM? This is supposed to be a positive thread about bringing back a fun race class. Not bashing each other. This kind of bickering is what keeps a lot of people out of racing unfortunately.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

WisRacr1 - do you not have an button?

Last edited by Jason B; 12-29-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Jason, Go practice falling down....

I'll be there in a minute!

Can't wait to run my XX-4 we this sunday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.