Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2.5 rustler

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2.5 rustler

i just got a traxxas rustler, nitro, 2.5, i was wondering what kind of things i should do to make it a bit quicker..... dont want to spend too much money, but all suggestions are welcome.....
BLAKE
Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Please go into more detail. If you are driving it up and down the street then you can go up one or two teeth on your pinion gears. If you want to race it then go and pick up a set of springs for it. As far as tires go some team losi edge and some losi or pro line step pins should give you enough traction on most tracks, you can also find out what other people are using to lay down the power. You should also get a spring set, an assortment of various spring tensions. The rougher the track the softer a spring you typicaly want to run. A stiffer spring will make you handle better, but the car will bounce too much on a rough track. If you find you need more rear traction then run a softer rear spring. If you need more front traction then run a softer front spring, you can experiment with these until you find something you like. If the track is tight I would gear the pinion gear down one tooth, this will help you to accelerate faster. If its wide open then run it stock. Next get yourself a coke can and a flat surface. Adjust your tie rods so that your tires are barely leaning inwards. Stand the coke can up next to them and use your eye to keep them even. Next set up the front two wheels so that they are barely slanted towards each other. The stock rod end and spring positions should be fine. If you are bashing your car around in the street and grass, lots of wide open full speed then be sure not to run your car very lean, the engine will get too hot and this can cause damage to it. The factory recomended settings should be fine for this though. The easiest way to get more speed though is to go out and buy a temp gun. Run your car for about 3 minutes and check the temperature. The engine is made to run around 235 deg, stock settings keep it under 200 in typical conditions. Every 3 minutes turn the little tuning screw on the carb about one tick on a clock clock wise untill you get a temperature around 225 deg. a little higher is ok, but be careful because getting it too hot will shorten the life of your engine. Once you get it tuned you should be able to leave it alone untill there is a drastic change in climate.