R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   RADIO SHACK R/C ATV (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/92735-radio-shack-r-c-atv.html)

rs4rallydriver 12-04-2005 04:10 PM

RADIO SHACK R/C ATV

I know that radioshack is the last place to look for a hobby quality r/c, and that except for x-mods, none of the r/c vehicles that they stock have ANY potential compared to real r/c's in terms of decent performance and reliability, but when I was there the other day, I noticed that they had what looked like a 1/8 scale ATV!
I couldn't get a good look at it because it was in the window display, and underneath other things, but it appeared to have a decent long travel suspension, was even more scale in appearance than the hpi kawasaki, and had a nice looking wheel and trigger radio. so, my question is has anyone driven or seen one of these things in action?

RCSteve93 12-04-2005 04:28 PM

How much was it??

rs4rallydriver 12-04-2005 05:36 PM

I have to go back and see.

Rysuleod 12-04-2005 06:00 PM

The offroad motorcycle they sell with a rider looks pretty cool.

Radio Shack motorcycle

rs4rallydriver 12-07-2005 12:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It was $129.99. I saw one out of the box and stayed to check it out. It has 4 wheel drive, independent front suspension, with a solid rear axle. the rubber tires are a VERY soft compound, and the suspension looks as though it would easily fit oil shocks from a stadium truck.

It is very annoying that R.S. insists on listing the speed of their rc's in "feet per minute", (maybe they assume people will think it is faster) but it is listed on the box as being capable of 1100 feet per minute. I will edit that later when I find my calculator and convert that into m.p.h.. but it's probably not more than 15.

It looks very cool, and durable enough. it makes me wonder if one day, Radio Shack will carry hobby class vehicles. the other day, I was surprised to go in there and see a replacement antenna for "most futaba, JR, and Airtronics transmitters." and a gp 3300 nimh pack with a picture of what looked like a touring car on the package... it wasn't much, but even still. :nod:

pictures:

briansid 12-07-2005 03:07 PM

Based on 1100 ft. min it goes 12.5 mph. Not real fast, but probably fun to play with. If the motor and batteries can be replaced with something a little more high end, it might reach 19mph or even 20mph. Like a good tuned stocker and higher voltage batts, that might get it moving pretty good. It's always hard to upgrade that stuff since the compartments are always so proprietary.

1100 ft. per min * 60 = 66000 ft. hour
66000 ft per hour / 5280 = 12.5 mph

How many of us grew up playing with Radio Shack RC cars thinking they were some of the coolest cars in town? That is, I mean, before we discovered the RC cars we all have now. I had a few RS cars and I always had fun trying to tinker with them.

polesitter61 12-07-2005 03:26 PM

Oh Yeah! I can remember the days when I upgraded from my Sear's Bandit buggy to a Radio Shack Golden Arrow! Now I thought that was an awesome buggy......too bad I still don't.....I would'nt spend as much money :lol:

rs4rallydriver 12-07-2005 05:47 PM

my friend's father had a golden arrow a long time ago. that thing was fast. before I got my rs4, the best radioshack rc that I ever had (aside from my current x-mod) was this truck called the "eradicator". I remember that went 2300 feet per minute. it was a good truck...I forget what happened to it...?

I think that the ATV uses a 540 silver can motor. it's pretty big. anything smaller would overheat given it's size (and 7.2 volts). it uses standard stick packs. at $129.00 I may just get the thing and turn it into a project. hmmm... brushless novak 5.5 powered atv... :D

Kanai II 12-07-2005 06:20 PM

I think they shot the commercial at JCG's didn't they?They shot some commercial there.

rs4rallydriver 12-10-2005 01:14 PM

I saw the comercial yesterday. it looks much smaller than it really is in the commercial.

ogreasurada 12-10-2005 01:31 PM

It looks pretty cool actually. From what I seen so far, these toys are gettting faster, higher detail and with features like changing parts and bodies. :cool:

TBailey 12-18-2008 12:50 PM

Sorry to revive a 3 year old thread, but.....

My brother-in-law just got one of these blue Radio Shack ATVs from Goodwill, but, of course, there's a problem.
It didn't come with a remote control or a battery pack, but after a quick trip to Radio Shack, they fixed him up.
As soon as you power it on, the front tires start to slowly turn to the left.

Using the remote, I can make the tires turn to the left quicker, but then after they are turned, they won't straighten back out or turn to the right.

Is it a lost cause, or should I try to fix it?
Thanks!

foolio 12-18-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by TBailey (Post 5182832)
Sorry to revive a 3 year old thread, but.....

My brother-in-law just got one of these blue Radio Shack ATVs from Goodwill, but, of course, there's a problem.
It didn't come with a remote control or a battery pack, but after a quick trip to Radio Shack, they fixed him up.
As soon as you power it on, the front tires start to slowly turn to the left.

Using the remote, I can make the tires turn to the left quicker, but then after they are turned, they won't straighten back out or turn to the right.

Is it a lost cause, or should I try to fix it?
Thanks!

Hellz yeah. Put a high performance brushless/lipo combo in there and enter into the slash class at your local track. I might actually pay to see that!

MDB 12-18-2008 01:06 PM

Target sells a 1/8 buggy, but that doesn't mean it is any good.

TBailey 12-18-2008 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by foolio (Post 5182871)
Hellz yeah. Put a high performance brushless/lipo combo in there and enter into the slash class at your local track. I might actually pay to see that!

That sounds like a great idea, only problem is I don't know much about RC cars.
I'm a fair electronics tech, but never worked on RC units before.
Anyways, what I need to know is what might the problem be with this thing?
Could the receiver be bad, the motor, or what?
I just don't know much about RC at all, sorry.
Everything I've ever had before was so cheap, I considered it disposable when it quit working right.

Thanks!