Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good motor for T4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Good motor for T4?

What is a good motor for bashing around but has speed for a t4?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Reedy 19t handwound motor is quick, pretty cheap and doesnt require a ton of maintence. Or you could go with the Orion revolution motors, or the team checkpoint motors. They are expensive yes, but they're worth it since they last much, much longer than regular motors, plus they are way faster. For bashing I'd probably go with a 13 or 14t.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yea i just want speed and some torque to get overs some jumps for my t4

Last edited by coolguy5; 12-04-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

I would suggest maybe 12 turn. This is because these motors are really popular, so you have a wide selection between reedy, orion, trinity, etc. I mean this motor is going to be about fast enough for jumps too. I can state that to get over some big jumps, you do need atleast a 12 turn. Because I drove at my local offroad track, and we tried hitting this dirt jump on the clay track with a trinity chameleon, wasn't even close to landing it and we tried over and over. Then we even tried my stock associated 15 turn motor which is crap and that couldn't make it. So yes, please if you want to be able to handle anything thrown at you, speed or jumps like you said, get a 12 turn. I would suggest a reedy, I have high respect for these motors, and I have one of their brushless motors, and have used their 19 hand wound, 15 turn, and 12 turn and I have to say they perform great.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

I was thinking to go brushless but i cant afford it.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

IF I get the orion revolution, should i get a double or single modified motor
Old 12-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

well if you go with the orion, I would go with a double. Unless your T4 is only racing onroad which would be a shame but hey it happens. heres how it typically is: 12x1-onroad 12x2-onroad,carpet 12x3-carpet,offroad 12x4-offroad. 12x1 is going to have a lot of power right away, but on offroad tracks that can easily toss you into a wall, so x3 or x4 or even x5 will be much better for dirt tracks.

I totally agree with you going brushless. Ask anyone who went brushless including me and they will tell you it's the best choice you ever made. As for brushless, I would go with the LRP/Reedy Combination. Theres been some talk about problems with it, and this confuses me, as mine has been flawless from the package and has about 3 months of outdoor run time and carpet racing every friday on it. You would be so much better off to wait and get an LRP sphere before you do anything. If you have a lesser esc or stock one, either keep it as a back up or sell it if you have a 12 turn esc or no limit, you can get good cash for those usually, if you have the 17 turn or 15 turn stock T4 LRP esc's then just keep them as a back up. Anyway, the sphere can handle down to a 5.5 brushed/brushless motor. This means you have the option to run anything you want. You can snag an LRP Sphere for 190$ on ebay. Just save up for one.

The LRP has modes, and two values for each brushless and brushed. For example, I have my mode on forward/reverse with value 1 for example. You can set partial throttle, partial brake, reverse, full brake, smooth brake, really have the car doing what ever you want. Lets remember this does 5.5, so you can always throw a novak 5.5 if you want to see what it's like and not have that ugly and complicated novak esc.

The reedy brushless are really just top of the line. Right now they make a 9 and eleven turn. I don't know if the 11 turn has been released yet but it was supposed to be available by now. Plus the are also coming out with a 7 turn. But even my 9 turn is for sure enough power. I race carpet, and I was considering an 11 turn because mine is a little too fast for a carpet track. I'm sure they will even develope higher turns too.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

What about the trinity speed gemms 12-2
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

If your going brushless go for the Novak SS5800 from shopatron.com.It's refurbished and runs only $175. It still carries the novak warranty which is second to none.The newer burshless models were intended mostly for onroad.The Sphere/NEO 9 turn would be too much on 95% of tracks.Either wait for the higher winded models of the NEO or go for the 5800.
For the SpeedGems issue.They are lower end Mod's which won't give you the power you would need/want.Any revolution/peak vantage motor would give you a lot(10-15) more runs between cuts/new brushes, and are hella fast.Any 10-14 single/double would be best at most tracks
Steve
Old 12-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

When you run a mod motor you will have to understand that it costs a lot more to run brushed motors because you have to buy a com lathe($100 to 200 plus diamond bit$90) plus brushes($4.00 approx.) only last a few runs (1 or 2 runs if you aRE RACING). Plus new arms and the time to rebuild often. It really is a pain to keep a mod brushed motor fast.

You will save alot of money going brushless over brushed if you run much at all.

If you go brushless I would stay away from the SS5800 for a T4. The SS5800 pretty much sucks for anything but oval. Yes I have owned a SS5800 since they came out.

$175 for a bad but rebuilt electronic motor/esc ? Ummmm ....the New Novak is 239.00 everywhere I look. Save your money and buy the best..Novak 5.5 or 6.5 . If you buy less than the best one for your application you will be dissappointed, I think, just my experience.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Charles
plus brushes($4.00 approx.) only last a few runs (1 or 2 runs if you aRE RACING).

$175 for a bad but rebuilt electronic motor/esc ? Ummmm ....the New Novak is 239.00 everywhere I look.
You definitely have a problem if you brushes are only lasting 1-2 runs. Even $4 brushes should get you at the very absolute least 4 runs with any mod motor.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...565.7521.0.0.0

Not $239, but rather $165 for a solid brushless system. The only comments I've heard from people at my track and elsewhere are good about this SS system.I did hear of some problems with the SS+ however.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

I have a friend with a novak. He couldn't even work the damn thing and had to have the guys at my track install it it's so complicated and junk.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AE guy
I have a friend with a novak. He couldn't even work the damn thing and had to have the guys at my track install it it's so complicated and junk.
Just because this one guy had a problem with it does not by any means make it junk. Novak is one of the most reputable, and high-quality dealers of them all.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

All I'm saying is that if you had a sphere and novak you would probably like the sphere better. It's got better functions, less complicated, and backed by a great warranty and tech support.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AE guy
and backed by a great warranty and tech support.
We could argue all day about which brushless setup was better, but there is no way the LRP and Reedy warranty/support is better then novak. All IMO of course, but I'm sure lots of other people feel the same.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.