Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Who makes the best glow fuels these days? >

Who makes the best glow fuels these days?

Who makes the best glow fuels these days?

Old 11-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Who makes the best glow fuels these days?

It used to be that Byron's was the cat's a$$ in glow fuel, but today I can't even find anybody who sells it. Who makes the best today?
Old 11-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

O Donnel Racing Formula fuel
Old 11-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

What makes O'Donnells the best? I've read that Morgan's has a higher percentage of oil. Doesn't this mean better lubrication?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Default Best fuel

Grampi;

"O"-Donnell is good racing fuel. Alot of people use it, Alot of stores sell it. Runs a little hot in some engines. Is a few $$ cheaper than some of the other brands.

At a local on-road track they only sell "Mugen" (Byron) fuel. I see alot of guys using it, but I also hear alot of complaints about it. Don't know about price.

IN my opinion "Blue Thunder" is terrible. Alot of people buy it because it's cheap $$$. The one time I tried it, couldn't keep my engine running consistantly for nothing. Have heard the same complaint from others. I gave away the rest of the gallon to somebody.

I just tried a quart of 20% Wildcat fuel and my cars would barely stay running with it. I ended up dumping the rest of the quart it was so bad.

I have been using Trinity Monster HP for the last few years now and have been very happy with the overall performance of it. Engines tune easily with it, is consistant from gallon to gallon and makes good power. Price is a little higher than most others.

Hope that I gave you some useful information,
Old 11-27-2002, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Don't touch Blue Thunder, even the 'Race Formula' version, with a 60' pole. Used it once as I ran out of Model Technics and as a result snapped the conrod in my OS.

Couldn't tell you what the best stuff on the market is in the US, I use Model Technics 20% which my Picco seems to love!!!
Old 11-27-2002, 07:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Best fuel

Originally posted by popsracer
Grampi;

"O"-Donnell is good racing fuel. Alot of people use it, Alot of stores sell it. Runs a little hot in some engines. Is a few $$ cheaper than some of the other brands.

At a local on-road track they only sell "Mugen" (Byron) fuel. I see alot of guys using it, but I also hear alot of complaints about it. Don't know about price.

IN my opinion "Blue Thunder" is terrible. Alot of people buy it because it's cheap $$$. The one time I tried it, couldn't keep my engine running consistantly for nothing. Have heard the same complaint from others. I gave away the rest of the gallon to somebody.

I just tried a quart of 20% Wildcat fuel and my cars would barely stay running with it. I ended up dumping the rest of the quart it was so bad.

I have been using Trinity Monster HP for the last few years now and have been very happy with the overall performance of it. Engines tune easily with it, is consistant from gallon to gallon and makes good power. Price is a little higher than most others.

Hope that I gave you some useful information,
I went to Hobby Town last night. They had Trinity, Blue Thunder, and Wildcat fuels. Oddly enough, the Trinity was the least expensive of the 3. What do you think about running airplane fuel? S&W makes a 20% with 20% oil, and it's a lot cheaper than car fuels. I know I've read many times NEVER use airplane fuel in cars, but I've read testimonies from people who do and they say it's fine. They say their engines run just as good, and last just as long. So why not run it?
Old 11-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default I wouldn't do it!

There are supposed differences in the oil blends between airplane and car fuel. Car engines run WAY hotter than Plane engines and plane fuel does not offer the same protection at the higher running temperatures. I also hear that it will cause "Gumming" in a car engine for the same reasons.

I think that if you try a Quart/Gallon or Trinity fuel, you will be very happy with it. Especially if it's cheaper than the others at your LHS.