Brushed Electric Motor?? Anybody?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed Electric Motor?? Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Brushed Electric Motor?? Anybody?

I'm a brushless guy primarily. Was into nitro 7 years ago. All I did was tune tune tune, so this time around I've gone electric. Besides still trying to understand all the dynamics of batteries, I'm wondering about brushed motors.

I haven't a clue about them. I know they have brushes that wear out, and the comm has to be cut.

My question. For a basher, what is the most durable motor out there that is fast, around $50 and has brushes that will last a while before I have to take the damn thing apart.

Also, if you could provide me with a esc/brushed motor combo that meets the above guidelines, I would appreciate it. The cars that would be using this setup would be an XXX-4 and a XX-4.

Any help is appreciated.

I also might actually buy a lathe as well if they are reasonably priced. Not that money is a problem, but I'd rather buy reasonable priced items since I might just decide that brushed motors aren't worth it.

Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

For bashing purposes, you can go with the Duratrax Streak speed control. It's about $35 at Tower Hobbies. Tower also sells their own brand of 14 turn mod motors. They're cheap at $20 a pop. Get a couple of those and run them till the bearings fly off. You can also install another set of brushes that are easier on the comm and wear longer.

There may be a more durable motor, but for $20, it's not a bad deal.

Here are the links.
ESC - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD523&P=ML
Motor - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJA78&P=0
Brushes - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJY26&P=ML
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

Well thanks but. However I'm looking for something that might be a bit more reliable and perform better. I have no problem buying sphere esc, which does brushed and brushless, but I'd rather not purchase a $70 brushed motor that is going to go kaput after 20 runs.

Also I was wondering, with the number of turns of a motor

Is a 9T faster than a 17T motor? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by knucklebusta
Also I was wondering, with the number of turns of a motor

Is a 9T faster than a 17T motor? Or is it the other way around?

Thanks

Yes. Lower winds=lower resistance=faster motor.

I've not run one myself, but I hear that the Trinity XXX brushes are quite nice.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Talking

For longevity, the Orion motors are probably the best. For a 4wd a 10x2 or 11x2 should be plenty fast. With a 10x2 you could probably get between 6-10 run before a cut and use the brushes for 2 cuts. Add 2-3 run for the 11x2. These should be $50 most places with replacement brushes at $3.50 or $3.75. You might want to hold off on the lathe and try the local hobby shop for cutting your motor. Many shops will have a store lathe and charge like $3 or $5 for a cut. That way if you don't like brushes, the lathe won't go to waste. The Sphere would work, but the Sphere Competition that will be out shortly would be much better as they have tremendously upgraded the brushes settings. If you're in a hurry, a Quantum Competition 2 has no equal for the money. I have seen these as low as $140-$150
Old 12-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

I'll probably wait for this to come out. I'm not sure about LRP, I've read more bad stuff about them than I have of Novak. Perhaps you guys have a differing opinion. I sort of think you either get a good one or bad one with both companies. What about customer service? Anybody use both companies?

Jeesh, this things got more settings than I know what to do with. However here is what I like.

"LRP's exclusive Automatic Brushless/Brushed Adaptation. This pushes the convenient use of brushless and brushed motors to the next level. It detects the motor type and adjusts the correct brushless or brushed mode automatically without any switching or adjustment by the user. Therefore, no more manual setups are required after changing the motor type. The LRP SPHERE COMPETITION Brushless + Brushed will do this for you automatically!"

Sphere Competition
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

If you're not worried much about price, then I would recommend the Novak Super Sport Plus brushless system. It's very reliable and doesn't need any maintenance, i.e brushes, comms, etc. The SS5800 motor is equivalent to a 12-turn brushed motor, and the SS4300 is equivalent to a 19-turn brushed motor.

THe Super Sport Plus ESC handles brushed otrs down to 12 turns. The GTB systems have no brushed motor limit. The SS+ ESC has an RPM limiter to run a brushed motor in a stock race. The GTB system does not have a limiter, to my knowledge.

The GTB systems are good, too. They're equivalent to 8 and 9 turn brushed motors for the GTB 5.5 and GTB 6.5, respectively.

The lower the turns, the faster it is. A 9-turn is faster than a 17-turn.

You can get either one for a good price right now with Tower.
SS+ System - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKUX5&P=7

GTB 6.5 - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSW1&P=7

GTB 5.5 - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSW0&P=7

I have not run the LRP, but there have been quite a few problems and comments about it on this board.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

I have a ss5800 now and I don't like it much, it's in my xxx-4g and I'm running 18T/92 spur and the damn motor gets so hot you could fry an egg on it.

Now I'm a noob. I was running it first with a 21T pinion, per RC excitements advice and they told me that was fine for that car. Someone else told me that I should use 17T.

Now maybe it's a misconception on my part. I honk the crap out of this car. At first I thought these things were able to withstand 20 minutes of WOT, if the thing got to hot, it would shut off. Well, when I had the 21T pinion in it, it flew like a bat out of hell. I thermalled it once and smelled a burning smell. I don't know if this is normal. It seems ok. I have a fan on the ESC, but the esc doesn't get hot at all and I don't need to use the fan. It's the damn motor. Even with the 17T pinion, it gets hot as hell after like 5 minutes. I don't know the temp, but the 5 second finger test on the motor would melt my index finger skin down to the bone if I held the finger on there for 5 seconds. WTF? It's 2005, motors shoudln't get hot

Any advice? Are these things just not made for more than a few minutes of honking up and down the street? That's about all I've done as of yet. No racing till next season.

Kevin
Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Take the motor out and look inside of it. With the 5800 system you should you be experiencing cool motors and hot speed controls. There are no bruushes in the motor (this is where most of the heat comes from in brushed motors) and the Super Sport speed control is known to be a little weak in terms of amperage handling. I think you must have a blown bearing or a bad wind in the motor.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

I took it apart, it looks fine, smells ok. I couldn't get the end bell off, if that's what it's called, where the wires go. Had all the bolts off. Didn't want to force it. I reassembled it and it still works, still screws, just gets real real hot. I'll send it back to BOB when I order another setup for my xx-4 when it arrives.

But like I said, it's 2005 and sh*t shouldn't get hot, right? Technology doesn't impress me much.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Resistance creates heat...no matter what year it is.

Trinity's SpeedGems line are affordable and reliable. Trinity's XXX brush will last for a long time if you keep the comm in good shape, as will Reedy's Plutonium brush (but those things are expensive).