Wiki Posts
Search

My T4 motor is HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry My T4 motor is HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Alright, after my first race I've come to notice that my motor is a freaking oven. I have an RC10T4, and I race indoor carpet at rcmadness right now with my stock 15 turn with a 3,600 battery. Well I do about 5-6 minutes of racing and my motor is cooking, literally. Past the point where it's so hot that you can't even touch, but to the point that you can smell this baby cookin, that burnt smell from like 4 feet away easy. The guy at the shop named chris said I should changed my pinion gear. I'm running a completely stock set up, motor and gearing, so I'm slightly confused that my motor is overheating so much at stock set up like it is.

Although, I'm also pointing this confusion and my question towards associated owners. Another guy at the track said "yeah, that motor is cookin, I had one and I burnt it out in a week" and that's all I heard from him. So is this a naturally hot motor or something? If so this shouldn't be that big of a deal because I'm looking to get a 12 or possibly 10 turn maybe as an upgrade because I have a no limit esc. But I'de still like to practice more with my 15 turn while my car is still fast but not goin mach 3 on the track with a 10 turn.

BTW incase your wondering I'm a good driver actually, I was in second place until I hit a jump and had a dnf. Turns out that my esc was too far away from the motor when I re stickied it with tape and the jump landing popped both wires apart at the connectors. Yeah and the kid that was beating me had a 5 turn brushless....So yea I would like to get a 12 turn after a little while longer with my 15 turn.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

AE-What kind of 15 turn is it?If it's the one that comes in the RTR kit that motor(sorry for being honest) is JUNK.That motor is great to bash with but Im not sure I would even call it a practice motor.
What pinion do you have on it.The pinion that is on the truck is designed for bashing NOT carpet racing.
Probally geared totally wrong is the reason for it cooking.
They are not know for the most efficient motor's either.
A 12-13 turn should be plenty for the track your racing on.You might invest in a HAND WOUND mod due to the efficiency usually being a lil higher than a machine wound.
I would check with OTHER guys to see what they are gearing.Im guessing it's 4-6 teeth over the wind.
IE:12 turn motor geared 4 over would be a 16 tooth pinion.
IE:12 turn motor geared 6 over would be a 18 tooth pinion.
Hope this helps.
Les
Old 11-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ur over geared or its a crapy motor make sure ur comm is shimed
Old 11-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

sigh...... I had a feeling that the motor wasn't too great. I'll check that pinion gear right now.

Okay, it's a 20 tooth pinion, so according to you tex that should be okay....

But yes I'm probably going to get a 12 turn soon anyway...

And about cutting the comm. I don't really know how to get at it on this motor? I learn a lot every day but I'm still at noob level when it comes to disassembly of motors. Fact being that I've never taken one apart at all, besides taking out the brushes. I don't know if the stock associated motors give you access to the comm in order to trim it. If so then yes these really are crap. But I try my best.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This is the procedure you need to follow;
1. Remove pinion gear from AE 15t motor
2. Remove 2 screws holding AE 15t motor in RC10T4
3. Unplug bullet connectors
4. Take AE 15t motor and place in garbage can
5. Goto your local hobby shop and purchase a Team Orion Revolution 12x2 motor, some spare brushes, suitable pinion gear and some deans connectors to go between the motor and ESC.

And yes AE electric motors are across the board some of the lowest quality motors I've ever seen (that statement does NOT include Reedy motors which are distributed by Associated).
Old 11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if your motor is getting that hot I seriously encourage you to drop the pinion. I'd start by dropping it two teeth and see what kind of temp reduction you get. You are overgeared and it's quite a bit of the reason for the rediculous temps. You should be able to put your finger on the motor for at least three seconds.

Also, check your motor connectors and your battery connectors. If your using those white tamiya connectors that can be causing a good bit of resistance as well. If they are getting hot you risk melting them, in a bad melt they can short out and fry your esc.

basic motor maintenance can be view HERE , some good pictures to give you an easy view of how things work.

Good luck, and get that thing reduced in temps.

I agree wholeheartedly that you need a comm cut as having those temps have scorched the brushes and comm. I'm actually surprised you didn't melt the motor wires solder and have them pop off.

Good luck and enjoy the truck!!!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

well, I guess I'm getting a new motor for sure though. It is still strange to me because I always thought that team associated was like a very high end company, and that all of their parts would follow. Yeah I didn't really know that my motor was a total piece of crap because I thought that as long as it was a disposable like a stinger or something, it had to have some juice in it. But I guess not. Plus it was strange I kind of thought that for a 15 turn it should have been going faster too. Well it looks like my pro shop is getting some business.

Motor wise I really am not sure what to get. The only company that I know is good for motors is reedy, I've driven 1/10 electrics and a mini t with a reedy mini max and they seem to perform very well. What ever works I guess.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

whel if it was a RTR they coem wit cheap stuff
Old 11-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you can get one, the checkpoint motor will probably be faster and require slightly less maintenance than the Orion motor. Not only that it will be easier to maintain when it is required. You may have to look for a checkpoint but it will be worth the time spent.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

well my hobby deals in mostly traxxas and duratrax upgrades and stuff, not too much to offer there so I don't think I'll find a checkpoint there.

My proshop at rcmadness deals in many upgrades and specializes in losi and AE so they have many high end ups, even brushless and what not. But idk if they would have one...

Any luck finding one online? Should I just ebay it or does anyone know a site with some good motors that they like????
Old 11-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Right now even tower only has a 9t. They are saying late November so I guess it should be any day now. If you want to get one now, you aren't making a bad choice by getting an Orion, I just think in the long run you will be happier with a checkpoint. You could try calling O'Donnell on monday and see what they say (they own checkpoint). Either way I am sure madness can help you out with your problems.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, a nine turn is a little much, and would still be very high maintenance no matter who makes it. I definitely will consider buying a checkpoint. I was possibly considering either trinity, reedy, or maybe thinking about brushless. I'm a big associated fan, and I know that AE is just a distributor for reedy and lrp, but I like lrp and reedy products. I won't be going any lower than a 12 turn brushed motor because I want more runs with one pair of brushes and don't want to worry about cutting the comm and what not.

The brushless thing for me I know is drastic. I'm still at rookie status in these forums and and the track. This I know. But one of the good things about the brushless is the no maintenance, which in my opinion is better for a rookie like me, because I won't have to focus on fixing my engine, I can just practice without needing brushes I guess. IF I did go brushless, being the AE, reedy, and lrp fan I would go with a reedy neo one brushless probably, they only have a 9 turn out right now but I talked to a guy at associated about a problem and we were talking about the neo and he said that around lat nov. or december sometime they are releasing the neo one 11 turn which is still very fast. Maybe if my ipod sells on ebay the brushless will become a reality.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The reason the motor in the T4 RTR is so bad is becuase they couldnt reach a low price point without cheaping out on something. The features of the motor are really not to bad, but its just plain low quality. For example look at how much play there is between the brushes and the brush hoods. The brush hoods are made of a low quality material, the magnets arent that powerful, the windings on the arm are pretty bad, etc...

You'll be good with any of the new generation motors with the machined aluminum enbells. The Epic shock, Team Orion Revolution (The Peak Vantage is the same motor), or the Checkpoint are all great motors. Just call up the shop at RC Madness and see what they've got in stock, if they dont have it I'm sure they can order it for you and have it in a few days. As far as brushless goes I would highly recommend it! I've got the Novak GTB/5.5 combo and it rocks! The ESC has all the adjustments you need for racing. I would recommend getting the 6.5 version rather than the 5.5 since the 5.5 has got too much power. The LRP/Reedy is nice system as well, the LRP ESC doesnt have a huge capacitor or fan to deal with either, so thats nice. In the end brushless is way cheaper than brushed, so just take the plunge now.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

MOTOR UPDATE!

My ipod sold on ebay. Right now I'm waiting for a newer rustler on ebay to sell. So I'm going to purchase the lrp and reedy combo. I think that the 5.5 novak is a little much, and I'm very acquainted with lrp and reedy already, and I was pleased with both their products. Thanks though.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AE guy
MOTOR UPDATE!

My ipod sold on ebay. Right now I'm waiting for a newer rustler on ebay to sell. So I'm going to purchase the lrp and reedy combo. I think that the 5.5 novak is a little much, and I'm very acquainted with lrp and reedy already, and I was pleased with both their products. Thanks though.
Have you not heard of all the issues regarding the LRP/Reedy system? Have a look at the threads over in the on-road section.

I'm not biased towards Novak or anything, i'm just trying to help you out because there have been far too many issues with this new system. I would seriously wait at least another 4 months before purchasing either the GTB or the LRP system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.