Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Cactus Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
changing a dirt/clay track is a lot of work compared to setting up a near instant ozite or astro turf track where u just move boards and jumps, tape this here and there. they could do some surprize changes to some jumps or add something here and there.

very rare and near impossible for shutting down a track 1-2 weeks prior to a race for a business. SRS no matter who owned it has used CC-warm up races as a money making opportunity, plus there are some dedicated racers travel from out of state or area to attend them

locals imo have no advantage due to set-up, but more due to surface types that are deemed as offroad these days. AZ drivers go to XX-race at XX-location that have various carpets, stucco, various dirt comps, etc surfaces, have to also adapt seriously fast and to having to switch car types
I can recall two large (1 over 200 entries, other over 700) offroad races in the past 6 months that I've attended where no one was allowed ANY track time on the race's layout until the event officially started.

I can also recall this for the Reedy Race of Champions 2016, the 2015 ROAR fuel and electric nationals.

This would not require SRS to be closed for "1-2 weeks". It'd require they be closed for literally 3 days.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhughesjr
Wow what can of worms did I open here. Not the response I expected.
Really?!?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhughesjr
Wow what can of worms did I open here. Not the response I expected.

Honestly I don't have a problem with the entry free.

The rest of you go pound sand for crying!
Really?!!?
Buy our crap food or pay to bring your own?
Pay a high entry fee but pay for pit space (what if I bring a table?)?!?
Feces on the floor and closed bathrooms?!!!

These are 3rd world conditions and policies and most people wouldn't tolerate it for free, let alone at an elevated cost.

If these comments are true, and this were my only choice for racing, I'd simply walk away from the hobby. I don't see how I could enjoy it in such a negative environment. I can't understand how you could feel thankful for these conditions.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Pay a high entry fee but pay for pit space (what if I bring a table?)?!?
Yeah, out of everything else, I never understood the pay for pit space thing, especially at a permanent track that, at the current entry level (most people appear to be running so many classes that the 190ish entered as of right now really won't be that many people), should have more than enough spaces anyway.

It's like charging each racer a $5 per day light fee - if everyone doesn't pay it, they don't turn on the lights that day as charging to use existing facilities is mind-blowing.

P.S. If the racers get there and they've started a $5 lighting fee, my apologies for having suggested something even this track hasn't thought of yet...

Otherwise, this = +eleventybillion:
These are 3rd world conditions and policies and most people wouldn't tolerate it for free, let alone at an elevated cost.

If these comments are true, and this were my only choice for racing, I'd simply walk away from the hobby. I don't see how I could enjoy it in such a negative environment. I can't understand how you could feel thankful for these conditions.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The layout is absolutely amazing..
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

There are numerous locals that have either walked away or picked up an 1/8 scale to race at a different facility.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
There are numerous locals that have either walked away or picked up an 1/8 scale to race at a different facility.
This is unfortunately a true statement, the turn outs have been down for weekly Sunday races, there is an onroad group in town that literally pulls twice as much attendance in a parking lot race.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jslider
This is unfortunately a true statement, the turn outs have been down for weekly Sunday races, there is an onroad group in town that literally pulls twice as much attendance in a parking lot race.
well that sucks. hopefully it makes a change for the better, the cactus classic has been one of those races i always wanted to travel to.... especially when it was outdoors. but with how much it costs and the conditions i have been hearing it doesnt seem worth it....
Old 03-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Early 2000's it was definitely worth it.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Add alot of steady non racers that would show up Tue.Thur.sun for practice at W3. Alot of people booted there gear when W3 closed.. Including me.. Just recently invested back into some gear to run at srs. Kind of regretting it after reading this thread.. Hopefully the practice days are a more laid back.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Well, after reading about the CC race for years and finally having the opportunity to actually race in it I'm going to make the best of it. No track is run perfectly. I'm sure that almost any track across the country has racers that are dissatisfied about something, and SRS is no different.

I race to relax and have fun. Yes it is expensive, yes it will be crowded, yes, there will be a line for the toilet, and yes, I'll have to pay $2 to bring in food from the outside. I knew that before I signed up, so I just have to accept those things and go there and have fun. I think sometimes we forget that.

There is always something that could be done to make the experience better and I really hope that SRS continues to make improvements as they can.

In the end, we race toy cars to have fun and I think a lot of people in the hobby have forgotten that. So, sign up, show up, race and have fun. Change the things you can and accept the things you can't
Old 03-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Socket
The layout is absolutely amazing..
Looks like a fast layout as well. Well, for most people....
Old 03-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
Well, after reading about the CC race for years and finally having the opportunity to actually race in it I'm going to make the best of it. No track is run perfectly. I'm sure that almost any track across the country has racers that are dissatisfied about something, and SRS is no different.

I race to relax and have fun. Yes it is expensive, yes it will be crowded, yes, there will be a line for the toilet, and yes, I'll have to pay $2 to bring in food from the outside. I knew that before I signed up, so I just have to accept those things and go there and have fun. I think sometimes we forget that.

There is always something that could be done to make the experience better and I really hope that SRS continues to make improvements as they can.

In the end, we race toy cars to have fun and I think a lot of people in the hobby have forgotten that. So, sign up, show up, race and have fun. Change the things you can and accept the things you can't
That's all you or anyone else can do that chooses to attend. This thread and the one from last year at least give you a ROUGH idea of what to expect. If by some chance SRS beats the expectations you have going in, then it's a win.

I've been to tracks/races that everyone said were run terribly. I went anyway, and lucky for me, it turned out better than expected. Was it great, No. BUT most people don't go to a race with the mind set that "this is gonna suck". As such my expectations were really low and weren't hard to beat. That said, with the money it would cost ME to attend this race. I would never do it.

Best of luck and make the most of it.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Was just there a week ago. Store seemed decectly stocked. had plenty of primes on the shelf which is the tire of choice there. They were just tearing the track up to start the cactus layout and I was told that you could only run after the new layout was in if you were signed up for the CC.

Not sure why W3 went under. Always seemed like a good crowd there and looked like a well run place.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
You got the responses you did for a reason. Food for thought.
do they charge to bring in food for thought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.