Wiki Posts
Search

Starting & 1st lap strategy

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Default Starting & 1st lap strategy

Looking forms some pearls of wisdom.

Started 1/10th buggies 5 months ago. I usually qualify anywhere from 3rd to say 8th, depending on who's at the meet. Slowly getting quicker.

Here's my problem, I reckon 80% of the time I've fallen 4-5 places behind by halfway through the last lap. Over the last couple of weeks I've concentrated on taking it easier on the first lap. I suppose your a bit edgier at the start and calming that down has helped a little.

Today for example I qualified 5th the first corner is fast right, followed by a tight right a dogleg left into the jumps. Speed is not a worry, plenty enough punch if I want it. I race 17.5t stock. I read to get the inside line, so today I did that. Problem is I get round through the 2 rights no worries. From there everyone had the momentum from the straight so it bunches up and something invariably gets in my way and is unavoidable.

I was thinking that it might be important to have the inside line on the left hander. Rather than the first 2 turns, I'm stuck all the way outside in effect by the left and feel like there is nowhere to go.

Does anyone have any strategies they find successful when starting mid pack. Could it be best to just drive wide of the race line for a while till a nice train forms. If I think about it, aye my subconscious just tries to drive the get on the line. That's probably where all the trouble lives. what do you think? Obviously if you are 1,2 or 3 it's not so difficult. But I'm usually just behind those guys.

Someone please a tested proven strategy, not so interested in hunches. Something that works for you.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

The track I race at is a very tight and technical track and the first half lap is usually a single file line until we all start spreading out. If you try to pass in that first half lap, chances are you'll take yourself out along with everyone behind you and it ends with a restart.

Without physically watching you race it will be hard to diagnose the problem. At my track there isn't an inside line or an outside line, there is THE line. If you're getting stuck inside or outside, then I would say you aren't holding THE line and the cars behind you are attempting to pass you. Stay on the a** of the car in front you and if they don't hold THE line, you take it!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would say patience is the key to the first lap. I usually do not go for any gutsy passes or really even worry about passing on the first lap. I focus more on not crashing. There will inevitably be at least one pileup on the first lap, if you get around that you gain a few positions which is nice. I wait until everyone settles into a rhythm (2nd and 3rd laps) to try and make passes on the people around me. Essentially the only time I try to make a pass on the first lap is if the person in front of me makes a sizable mistake. Other wise I just try not to crash. I also watch other mains starts to see where a pileup might occur. That way I know where to be careful in my main.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
The track I race at is a very tight and technical track and the first half lap is usually a single file line until we all start spreading out. If you try to pass in that first half lap, chances are you'll take yourself out along with everyone behind you and it ends with a restart.

Without physically watching you race it will be hard to diagnose the problem. At my track there isn't an inside line or an outside line, there is THE line. If you're getting stuck inside or outside, then I would say you aren't holding THE line and the cars behind you are attempting to pass you. Stay on the a** of the car in front you and if they don't hold THE line, you take it!
I think this is the way to go. If I just focus on staying on the rear of the car in front of me. Especially if I qualify more towards the front. That will help. Our tracks in Australia tend to be a lot bigger then in the US by the 2nd turn cars are all over each other it feels like. I've only been doing this a while and starts feel really crowded to me. I think I'm holding good lines, I might get someone to video the 1st lap so I can work out what's going on a bit more. Whilst you are doing it, it seems a jumble to me at times.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer
I would say patience is the key to the first lap. I usually do not go for any gutsy passes or really even worry about passing on the first lap. I focus more on not crashing. There will inevitably be at least one pileup on the first lap, if you get around that you gain a few positions which is nice. I wait until everyone settles into a rhythm (2nd and 3rd laps) to try and make passes on the people around me. Essentially the only time I try to make a pass on the first lap is if the person in front of me makes a sizable mistake. Other wise I just try not to crash. I also watch other mains starts to see where a pileup might occur. That way I know where to be careful in my main.
Yep, you are right. Like I said to JP and agree with you, I'll focus on following the car in front & concentrate on not getting tangled. I think it's easier to have a focus thought in my mind or 2 tops. On reflection I'm not even sure what I focus on previously. Just "stay on the inside line".

Changing my focus to patiently follow the car and/or race line, be vigilant for trouble . I'll see how that goes for me.

Thanks for both your replies.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer
patience is key. you can not win the race on the first lap but you can
lose the race on the first lap.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can't win the race in the first turn but you certainly can lose it.

If I'm in the back of the grid at the start I usually wait for one of the first turn heroes to take out half the field then shimmy slide on by and wind up a few positions ahead of where I started.

If I'm in the front of the grid at the start I do my best to avoid one of the first turn heroes from taking me out.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Downside of Ifmar qualifying starts for club racing (assuming that's the case at you track). Less grid start practice. If grid starts are used the starts usually or at least might get better with the increased practice. I'm in favor of rotated grid starts for regular club events. Makes more sense to any spectators and potential new racers that might be watching too. Save Ifmar for bigger events.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys.

I think just the fact I'm working on it will help. I'm not even sure what I was concentrating on in particular during the starts. I know I was going a bit hard up to a couple of weeks ago. Last few weeks took it a bit easier and still struggled. Didn't have the mindset not to avoid trouble and be patient.

Looking forward to getting to the track to practice my starts;
patience, keep my position (no pushing it), get around any incidents.

I'll be back to ask about the rest of the race, once I'm more subconscious with handling this bit.