TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree36Likes

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the 8IGHT-E 4.0 Wiki

USEFUL LINKS

Overview
Manual
Pictures
Parts

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derrick87

This is what im dealing with. Also i took all 8 bearings out of the hub carriers front and rear and there are no seals on the insides of them exposing the ball bearings is that normal with this kit? i bought it used dont know much about losi stuff
Your driftshaft is good to go. Shocks tops look good. I would swap the shocks left to right so that the bleeder screw is facing in so no dirt gets in there. The bearings have shields. I would check the whole car and make sure all the bearing have either plastic or metal shield over the balls. I woukd get just a regular set of avid bearings they sell them as a kit for the 8e 4.0 where you get one of every bearing. Then i would get 10 extra outer hub and inner hub bearings as those will be the first to go.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Picked up a used Hobbywing 1600kv motor for super cheap at my local hobby shop. Wondering if there are any gearing recommendations for this motor.

It came with an 18t pinion and I am running the stock Spur gear.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skent
Picked up a used Hobbywing 1600kv motor for super cheap at my local hobby shop. Wondering if there are any gearing recommendations for this motor.

Thanks!
I would try it with the 18 tooth or even maybe a 19 tooth. Normal range is 15/45 for a 1900 fyi. I would just keep going up teeth until the motor runs too hot after 10 mins and bump it back down to the previous pinion.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks!
You're in the right range. The youngest on our team drives w a HW 1600 on 4s. We had him geared w a 17, and it worked pretty well.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are the shock instructions in the manual for emulsion style or something else? It is not clear in the manual.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Are the shock instructions in the manual for emulsion style or something else? It is not clear in the manual.
I can't remember exactly whats in the book I believe it was bladders. If the instruction show a full bladder that it is a bladder system. If they have the o-rings that go into the cap (almost looks like cut bladders) then it is the emulsion system. I prefer emulsion in all conditions on the nitro and electric cars. Plus they are much easier to build and get all 4 shocks to match.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can't remember exactly whats in the book I believe it was bladders. If the instruction show a full bladder that it is a bladder system. If they have the o-rings that go into the cap (almost looks like cut bladders) then it is the emulsion system. I prefer emulsion in all conditions on the nitro and electric cars. Plus they are much easier to build and get all 4 shocks to match.
There is definitely a bladder in the picture. How would I go about building it emulsion then?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

https://youtu.be/Q_L6c1EaakA
There is definitely a bladder in the picture. How would I go about building it emulsion then?
it is not in english but it shows how to build it both ways
Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Well... I finally ordered this kit. It's been a year coming, but I finally committed to travel a bit to get to the 1/8 scale tracks this summer. All my 1/10 scale rigs are TLR (and I have every 2wd class), but I was looking at the Tekno and AE ebuggies. Fortunately, both of them have been on backorder quite a while and it made me reconsider the TLR.

Watching Dakotah's ebuggy main last night, it seemed like his buggy jumped really well and handled that rattlesnake section well. I know he wasn't at the front and ended up dropping out, but the car looked good.

I'm looking for something that is very forgiving and not aggressive. Any pointers for initial setup would be appreciated... I gather kit setup but emulsion shocks is a good start? I also ordered green rear springs. Should I start with kit diff oil, or go up to 15k in the middle like Maifield's setups from last year show?
Old 02-27-2017, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Callaway
Well... I finally ordered this kit. It's been a year coming, but I finally committed to travel a bit to get to the 1/8 scale tracks this summer. All my 1/10 scale rigs are TLR (and I have every 2wd class), but I was looking at the Tekno and AE ebuggies. Fortunately, both of them have been on backorder quite a while and it made me reconsider the TLR.

Watching Dakotah's ebuggy main last night, it seemed like his buggy jumped really well and handled that rattlesnake section well. I know he wasn't at the front and ended up dropping out, but the car looked good.

I'm looking for something that is very forgiving and not aggressive. Any pointers for initial setup would be appreciated... I gather kit setup but emulsion shocks is a good start? I also ordered green rear springs. Should I start with kit diff oil, or go up to 15k in the middle like Maifield's setups from last year show?
I would start with 5-7-3. If you drive super punched i would suggest the higher center diff. I would suggest emulsion with 37.5 and 32.5. They are much easier to build too.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddog9
I would start with 5-7-3. If you drive super punched i would suggest the higher center diff. I would suggest emulsion with 37.5 and 32.5. They are much easier to build too.
wouldn't a higher center diff oil make the car harder to drive?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pballer2777
wouldn't a higher center diff oil make the car harder to drive?
yes thats why i suggested a lower center diff like 7 instead of 15.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks! I am the opposite of super punched. I'm more like super conservative, almost too conservative. I don't know if a punched driving style (such as Maifield's) requires a super aggressive setup or a super forgiving setup. I could see it either way. Regardless, I need a forgiving setup, so that's my main question with regards to center diff. I'll start with kit and go from there!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

yes thats why i suggested a lower center diff like 7 instead of 15.
oh ok i misread the post.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Callaway
Thanks! I am the opposite of super punched. I'm more like super conservative, almost too conservative. I don't know if a punched driving style (such as Maifield's) requires a super aggressive setup or a super forgiving setup. I could see it either way. Regardless, I need a forgiving setup, so that's my main question with regards to center diff. I'll start with kit and go from there!
My experience from trying to use someones setup like that was the car would not turn unless you were a throttle jockey. I like a "lazier car", but a car that still will rotate so I can drive a little harder, but by no means maifield level hard. I usually run longer camberlink locations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.