R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the 8IGHT-E 4.0 Wiki

USEFUL LINKS

Overview
Manual
Pictures
Parts

Print Wikipost

Like Tree20Likes

Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #61
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog9 View Post

I will be trying the 0 degrees today. I like the 4.4 so far. Supposedly it suppose to give you even drive front and back, as opposed to just overpowering the rear with the 0
I am interested to see what you think and if the change is felt or just theory.
james633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to frog racing

maddog9 - thanks for the info.

Quote:
You will want to run a 15 pinion with the stock 45 Spur.

Lastly, regarding the manual, there is a mistake in the manual for the anti-squat. The build gives you a 1 insert having the hole face upwards and says that is 3 degrees for the box stock setup, that 1 up is actually 4 degrees or if you have 1 down its 2 degrees.

One suggestion for you is look on youtube on how to build the diffs either by adam drake or ryan lutz. There is a french video of how to assemble the 4.0/3.0 shocks that will show you how to build the shocks as well, if you google it. Pretty much if google how to build something there is a video out there. The most helpful videos in the past were Adam Drake Videos if they have not been deleted.
Hitec HSB-9370T
www.whf-texas.org
frog racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james633 View Post
I am interested to see what you think and if the change is felt or just theory.
I run on a high traction indoor clay track. I ran the 0 today definitely faster; however, the car is looser with the 0 vs the 4.4. It did have better corner rotation in the 180 turns with the 0. I think 0 is less stable than the 4.4. I had to make a couple changes to the car after doing the 0 degree to make the car tighter. I will say come outdoor 4.4 will be the way to go as it is more stable and outdoors is typically larger sweeping turns.

I think by far this is the best car TLR has developed. My local TLR driver and I both ran the fastest laps today, by nearly a full second over everyone in our area. An area that is mostly Tekno. If your still are on the fence I would pull the trigger and get a kit!
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #64
TLRacing

Quote:
I run on a high traction indoor clay track. I ran the 0 today definitely faster; however, the car is looser with the 0 vs the 4.4. It did have better corner rotation in the 180 turns with the 0. I think 0 is less stable than the 4.4. I had to make a couple changes to the car after doing the 0 degree to make the car tighter. I will say come outdoor 4.4 will be the way to go as it is more stable and outdoors is typically larger sweeping turns.

I think by far this is the best car TLR has developed. My local TLR driver and I both ran the fastest laps today, by nearly a full second over everyone in our area. An area that is mostly Tekno. If your still are on the fence I would pull the trigger and get a kit!
I like it!
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #65
Tech Adept

Quote:
If your still are on the fence I would pull the trigger and get a kit!
ordered two those
will replace my JQ and my sons Mugen to new TLR`s...only bad thing that till the first summer season race still 2 month to go...
hardijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardijs View Post
ordered two those
will replace my JQ and my sons Mugen to new TLR`s...only bad thing that till the first summer season race still 2 month to go...
Awesome glad i could help!

Anyone building a new kit i would build the car box stock. Minus the shocks, i would build them emulsion with the kit oils, 40 and 25 almost completely dead it makes the shocks super plush . Note use the kit shock oils,but throw away the diff oils. Never use the red loctite period. Use blue loctite on any spot that is metal to metal. Use the 4.4 center angle.

Biggest note the box stock setup shows 3 degrees antisquat. The build has 1 pills, you will want to. Switch those with the 0 pills.

Lastly do not try to put your 3.0 setup on the 4.0, i tried it and my car was terrible. It doesnt look like much of a change, but differences have been huge on the track. I drove my dads box stock setup with emuslion shocks and the car was amazing out the box.

Final note on electronics, turn your punch down and even turn travel down on your radio. I have seen way too many people overpowered and usually spinning the tires. Slower is faster.

Hope this helps anyone new to racing or new to the kit.
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0

Last edited by maddog9; 02-20-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #67
Tech Adept

Quote:
Awesome glad i could help!

Anyone building a new kit i would build the car box stock. Minus the shocks, i would build them emulsion with the kit oils, 40 and 25 almost completely dead it makes the shocks super plush . Note use the kit shock oils,but throw away the diff oils. Never use the red loctite period. Use blue loctite on any spot that is metal to metal. Use the 4.4 center angle.

Biggest note the box stock setup shows 3 degrees antisquat. The build has 1 pills, you will want to. Switch those with the 0 pills.

Lastly do not try to put your 3.0 setup on the 4.0, i tried it and my car was terrible. It doesnt look like much of a change, but differences have been huge on the track. I drove my dads box stock setup with emuslion shocks and the car was amazing out the box.

Final note on electronics, turn your punch down and even turn travel down on your radio. I have seen way too many people overpowered and usually spinning the tires. Slower is faster.

Hope this helps anyone new to racing or new to the kit.
Thank`s for tips! Those will help
As well I see that many drivers use green springs at the rear and not grey ones which are included at kit...so probably will get them too.
After the first trials will write some feedack, but it`s at April
hardijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #68
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Nothing more exciting than a new buggy!
Attached Thumbnails
Official TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!-f1c4860d-f8db-4778-8e04-b79259fcaff1_zpszb9hkoa5.jpg  
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #69
Tech Adept

Quote:
Yep same here! Running mine today.
Hey man, I recognized your name from the races... have you ran the 4.0 at Sparks yet? I know I heard maddog on the speaker last night lol just didn't notice what you were running. Saw a couple 4.0s going tho.

If you've ran it much, be interested to see what you've done to it. I imagine the battery forward and the more aggressive diff angle kicks ass on that track.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Hey man, I recognized your name from the races... have you ran the 4.0 at Sparks yet? I know I heard maddog on the speaker last night lol just didn't notice what you were running. Saw a couple 4.0s going tho.

If you've ran it much, be interested to see what you've done to it. I imagine the battery forward and the more aggressive diff angle kicks ass on that track.
Yep I have ran the 4.0 the last couple weeks at sparks. I would run the 4.4 diff angle, battery up front and emulsion shocks. I would actually suggest the box stock setup with emulsion shocks. I tried my 3.0 settings and didnt like them on the new car. I think box stock with emulsion shocks. Keep an eye out for me next Friday I will be at Sparks with a new setup if you want to take a look at the car.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Yep I have ran the 4.0 the last couple weeks at sparks. I would run the 4.4 diff angle, battery up front and emulsion shocks. I would actually suggest the box stock setup with emulsion shocks. I tried my 3.0 settings and didnt like them on the new car. I think box stock with emulsion shocks. Keep an eye out for me next Friday I will be at Sparks with a new setup if you want to take a look at the car.
i've never seen any team setup that uses emulsion shocks in 1/8 scale. More of a 1/10 scale thing.

Serpent America: Triton engines/ Nitro pro.Fuel/ Rc Addiction products : Vp pro Usa/Dialed-Rc
Barnstormers: Chester, NY, N.Y.. IRH Lindenhurst
Vinny Cancilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla View Post
i've never seen any team setup that uses emulsion shocks in 1/8 scale. More of a 1/10 scale thing.
I love the emulsion shocks so far they are super plush just like my old kyosho st-rr shocks were. I had a lot more steering and was less prone to traction rolling with the emulsion vs. bladders. Give them a try and see what you think, you never know until you try it. I was skeptical at first as well.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #73
Tech Adept

Quote:
The 4.4 is the straight diff angle that puts more power to the rear? or the other way around?

Cool, ill setup stock with emulsion shocks. I probably wont be able to run it for a bit. Blew all my cash on the kit lol. I put together a stock buggy a few weeks ago too.. been running that up there. Don't care for 1:10 anywhere else, but its fun at Sparks.

What motor/ esc? Saw Losi's page recommends a 1900kv setup. I like hobbywing stuff for the price...I was looking at the SCT pro with a 2250kv motor in a combo on amain. Just don't know if it will be too much motor?

Thanks for the info
Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #74
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
The 4.4 is the straight diff angle that puts more power to the rear? or the other way around?

Cool, ill setup stock with emulsion shocks. I probably wont be able to run it for a bit. Blew all my cash on the kit lol. I put together a stock buggy a few weeks ago too.. been running that up there. Don't care for 1:10 anywhere else, but its fun at Sparks.

What motor/ esc? Saw Losi's page recommends a 1900kv setup. I like hobbywing stuff for the price...I was looking at the SCT pro with a 2250kv motor in a combo on amain. Just don't know if it will be too much motor?

Thanks for the info
0 degree is straight and puts more power to the back. 4.4 puts equal drives to the front and back. I would talk to Michael hunt at Auer Ace Hardware and he can get you squared away with a tekin 1900 kv motor and a hobbywing sct pro.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #75
Tech Adept

Quote:
0 degree is straight and puts more power to the back. 4.4 puts equal drives to the front and back. I would talk to Michael hunt at Auer Ace Hardware and he can get you squared away with a tekin 1900 kv motor and a hobbywing sct pro.
cool thanks that makes sense. the 0 should be looser and faster. cant wait to run it