R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If AE can run Durango diff in a b44 there should be a way to fit the b44 ball diff in a durango. I seem to remember some of Travis early setup sheets with a ball diff listed on his setups for his DEX410. Should be something out there to put in the case.

This is the 3D printer age in RC. Someone just need to design a new case with AE bearing sizes and print.
Cameron Kellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:04 AM   #47
Tech Addict

First Video from the DEX210F, i found on you-tube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdY647ApcxA

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #48
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

yeah should be interesting. Holding onto my plan b dex210 for sure though just in case.

Looking forward to see the vid this evening.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #49
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
First Video from the DEX210F, i found on you-tube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdY647ApcxA
looks like a lot of rotation there. should be interesting.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #50
Tech Legend

Well look what came in the mail today!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #51
Tech Legend

alright got pretty far along in the build, I didn't do the shock tower as I got some nice graphite ones coming, and I will leave the shocks for later.

Nothing suprising at this next step, I had a spare pre-trimmed front brace i guess for a lack of a better term so used that. I also went with B5 hexes right away, I can see why people are having issues with the plastic ones in the dex210v3, wayy too thin. Added the durango buttons for some bling as well as the tresrey steering link too

At this point I went ahead and added in the durango alloy hubs I have sitting here. I went head and just went with zero pills inside,so then toe I think can be controlled by the RR hangar, but it doesn't say exactly what it does for toe values. Strange. As a tip, pay attention to the hole they show to put the pin in that the hex sits on (added exotek at this point). It supposed to sit out "away" from the hub a bit.

at this point, it appears that the durango velcro included is too long. I don't know if it was meant to be cut (from the pics on the home site it appears so), but basically it will need to at this length. Also, make sure you follow the assembly step for the motor mount areas including the underneath screw. I wasn't planning initially on putting the motor on right away so didn't think to put the lower screw on that secures the motor mount. I also added in some RC Shox garolite disks as well. This will be pretty interesting if you run a chassis protector.

All in all the build went quite well, nothing really stood out as show stoppers. I do wish however those RR hangers would state what they actually mean for toe values, if that is what they are for.

Big thing now is figuring out the electronics mounting situation. the HW 3.1 SS is small, but it will still be interesting to get this to fit.

I also went with a 73T spur in the middle instead of a stock style 69T as I found that you were limited in getting the sliding motor mesh to reach outside of say a larger pinion (I was going to try a 33). maybe this is a really good thing as looking at the gearing chart for the vehicle, and assuming the FDR mentioned for 17.5 on the Durango fansite is a good place to start, Then even an 81T spur is more than sufficient to get the gearing ranges you want with appropriate pinions.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #52
Tech Adept

looks great...... tell us that such works
quimico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #53
Tech Legend

will do. I am waiting on my graphite front tower to come in saturday, car deserves that lol.

I'll get everything else together and go from there but really really need to know what those rear RR hanger inserts mean. Knowing that could do some toe adjustments easier than messing with the the inserts on the carriers.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Hi Cain,

the RR hanger uses the narrowest inserts and has stock 3 degrees inboard toe-in.
Its not really designed to tune toe-in from here, that part of the car is actually designed for future geometry options, this is why its not explained in the instruction manual.

having said that, you could use an insert that is less narrow which would give a little more inboard toe-in, however it might make the car a little too wide at the rear depending what rear wheels/tires you are using. but I would not recommend going any more than 1 step wider on the RR hanger insert than stock.

for example stock is "dash dot" with the dash inside.
you could use "dash" insert with the dash inside which would add some inboard toe-in. I calculate it would be approx 3.7 degrees each side.

Adjusting the toe-in in this area of the car isn't a go-to setup option but it is possible. but there could be negatives to doing this as its using the car outside of its intended design.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #55
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks real nice
Old 02-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
looks like a lot of rotation there. should be interesting.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
lol.... Rotating like a helicopter
Old 02-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #57
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrook View Post
lol.... Rotating like a helicopter
lol yeah, something they can calm down but I can tell that it will be fast on the track thats for sure. Wonder if they went with the kit astro setup or the carpet one? Carpet one appears to be more grip oriented than the astro.

I may throw the vehicle up on the setup station and confirm the rear toe here with each insert change.

Last edited by Cain; 02-19-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #58
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
Hi Cain,

the RR hanger uses the narrowest inserts and has stock 3 degrees inboard toe-in.
Its not really designed to tune toe-in from here, that part of the car is actually designed for future geometry options, this is why its not explained in the instruction manual.

having said that, you could use an insert that is less narrow which would give a little more inboard toe-in, however it might make the car a little too wide at the rear depending what rear wheels/tires you are using. but I would not recommend going any more than 1 step wider on the RR hanger insert than stock.

for example stock is "dash dot" with the dash inside.
you could use "dash" insert with the dash inside which would add some inboard toe-in. I calculate it would be approx 3.7 degrees each side.

Adjusting the toe-in in this area of the car isn't a go-to setup option but it is possible. but there could be negatives to doing this as its using the car outside of its intended design.

I hope that helps.
Thanks! Totally missed this post earlier lol. Darn, was hoping that would be what it was for as when you run the alloy rear hubs they can be a real pain to get the insert to come out. I guess If I try more toe, I'll run some standard hubs.

Got further along in my build and I had a dilemma on how to mount the electronics. With the Shorty Setup and using the Hobbywing V3.1 Super Stock ESC I couldn't find an easy way to locate the capacitor on the chassis so I decided to try something:

Basically, I used that middle piece (don't know what to call it) as a mount for the capacitor. so word of advice, if you plan to get this vehicle and run in this layout, have SMALL electronics or something that can allow you to run the capacitor out of the way. Also, a short but flexible sensor wire can work wonders. I used some TQ Wire.

So this is where she is at, the shock tower I am waiting on should be here tomorrow.

All in all so far so good, crossing fingers they have practice sunday!

Last edited by Cain; 02-20-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #59
Tech Addict

Default New front aluminum bulkhead

Doughty,
Glad to see you on there. Some of us have been discussing the front kickup of Chasis. 20 degrees is probably more ideal for the higher grip tracks of today. Since changing the Chasis would be difficult, would be great if Durango would come out with a front bulkhead, aluminum or plastic that decreased the kickup by 5 degrees at the inner hinge pin. This would eliminate the need for a lot of shims on the outer steering arm and keep the same castor gains.

What ya think?
WallyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #60
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I just picked one of these up, I've noticed that there are some pretty standard spares that are on backorder. This is my first Durango kit, is parts availability an issue with them?
raceyz is offline   Reply With Quote