R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree11Likes

Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #586
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
No, it sure isn't. I'm assuming that it cracked due to shock. We have one particular triple that is literally a full throttle run up, half the length of the track kind of jump. I had to install thicker shock fluid in all of my cars to deal with the landing.

Cain:I looked up those Mckune pads and noticed they are designed for carpet, astro and very high grip clay. I wonder if they would have too much grip for a dusty hard pack type track. Then again, the best 4wd I've ever driven on this track is the 44.3, which is straight gear diff, no slipper at all.
They feel like garolite discs and should be fine and fade free.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #587
Tech Addict

So.... tomorrow is the first race of the year. All Team Durango cars and trucks are ready except for the DESC410V2.Just not gonna happen, ran out of time. I don't feel any of them are where they need to be but there's nothing else I can do for now.

That was until this morning. I decided to take all four out and just practice with them. By lunchtime I was down to two functioning Durango's.

The diff in the DESC210R is toast. Anything less than so tight you can barely turn the wheels in opposite directions and it barks and slips. Cornering is either like having a solid axle rear end or slip city violent oversteer. Looks like I'll be taking the SC5M tomorrow.

The DEX410V5 was actually doing pretty good. The setup is close. The shocks are probably at 95% right. I was actually enjoying driving it until I started to hear a faint grinding sound when first initiating a turn under power. I immediately brought it in. Spur is fine and mesh is perfect. All diffs rotate smoothly and spin in either direction with very little friction So I put it back down and within two laps it was grinding louder and started to feel like something was slipping. Something is wrong with a diff somewhere. It's had 40-45 minutes of run time. So I'll have to tear the diffs apart and see if I can see anything. Looks like the B44.3 is coming off the shelf.

I am glad this happened now though and not during a race. Is what it is. Plenty of months left in the year!
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #588
Tech Addict

Dun Dun Dun.... And just like that I'm down to two Durango cars for this weekend. During practice today the DESC210 toasted the diff and the DEX410V5 has developed a strange, faint grinding sound when entering turns. It feels like its slipping while this is happening. So I'm going to have to tear it down and figure out what is going on. No time tonight with tire gluing, packing and stuff. Thankfully I've got my trusty SC5M and B44.3 on standby with race tires ready to go.

I was really hoping to race the V5.Its only got about four batteries worth of run time on it. Gear diffs don't slip.....
Old 02-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #589
Tech Legend

Quote:
Dun Dun Dun.... And just like that I'm down to two Durango cars for this weekend. During practice today the DESC210 toasted the diff and the DEX410V5 has developed a strange, faint grinding sound when entering turns. It feels like its slipping while this is happening. So I'm going to have to tear it down and figure out what is going on. No time tonight with tire gluing, packing and stuff. Thankfully I've got my trusty SC5M and B44.3 on standby with race tires ready to go.

I was really hoping to race the V5.Its only got about four batteries worth of run time on it. Gear diffs don't slip.....
Sorry to hear that man. Post pics of what you find for the problem be curious.

As for the barking and such, see if the slipper pad has an issues. I found the durango pads would wear funny and cause strange slippage issues. Went to a garolite pad no issues, or do an AE stock pad trimmed, that helps alot.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #590
Tech Addict

Quote:

Damn, sorry to hear that too!

Alan, have also a look at the front shafts, as you mentioned, there was some binding at the time you built them...
It's realy cracy that it is only entering turns!?
There was also a ball bearing problem on the older dex's, if i remember correctly, so may worth to check them too?

Hope you can figure out and it's not a big problem...

Cat K2 / DEX410V3 / DEX410V5 / DEX210 / DEX210F / Cougar SVR /
YZ-10 '94/'95 WCS/
Spectrum DX3R
micholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #591
Tech Addict

Yeah guys it's been a bad weekend. Came down with the flu on race day.

So while most people would be in bed, I'm in my PJ's tearing apart the V5.... Dedication... Dedication

To be honest, I've never seen an issue like this before. It was fine for over 35 minutes of race pace driving. If it were an assembly mistake or something like that, no way would it have lasted that long. I was actually practicing against an Ebuggy about 5 minutes into the battery when I first heard it. It gradually got louder and as I was trying to limp it in it started slipping to the point it wouldn't move. Hopefully I'll be able to see something abnormal. I'll post pictures of what I find.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

turning on power sounds like a cvd issue
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #593
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
Damn, sorry to hear that too!

Alan, have also a look at the front shafts, as you mentioned, there was some binding at the time you built them...
It's realy cracy that it is only entering turns!?
There was also a ball bearing problem on the older dex's, if i remember correctly, so may worth to check them too?

Hope you can figure out and it's not a big problem...
Hey Mich, yeah that makes sense except I replaced the entire cvd on both sides when I found that bind.

Not to mention, I ran a few batteries through the car before this started. I'm sitting here going over everything and so far,

All three diffs are smooth as butter, don't skip... All four cvd's are smooth and bind free. What makes no sense is the slipping. Gradually got worse until the car would barely move. The only thing that can slip on this car is......the slipper.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #594
Tech Legend

did your set screw on the rear input gear (the gear that connects the rear drive shaft to the gear that then goes to mate with the rear diff?)

I recall on my dex210F that the screw screw loosened enough that I would get this weird "play" that seemed like it would rotate a bunch before engaging. When I opened it up I saw it had loosed up a lot.

That could be seen as "slip" as it would not snap to it under throttle.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #595
Tech Addict

That's one of the first things I thought of, had that happen on a PROSC 4x4 a while back. So I pulled them and took pictures. You can see the little circles made by the set screws, perfectly centered. They were tight and secured with the TD red thread lock.

I am stumped. There is nothing wrong anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
New Team Durango DEX410V5 Thread-imag0233.jpg   New Team Durango DEX410V5 Thread-imag0234.jpg   New Team Durango DEX410V5 Thread-imag0235.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #596
Tech Addict

The slip I'm referring to is motor screaming, slight ratcheting sound with the car only ghosting forward at a crawl. By the sound, I expected to see carnage somewhere. But everything looks new, as it should...
Old 02-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #597
Tech Addict

I did find glazing on the slipper pads. It was set per the manuals specs when I first started out. I did tighten it slightly after running for a lap. If it was the slipper slipping, it does not explain the grinding.
Attached Thumbnails
New Team Durango DEX410V5 Thread-imag0236.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #598
Tech Legend

odd thought. Could you replicate the grinding noise on the workbench? Basically, assemble say half the drive train (slipper to rear) and give it power and see if it grinds, swap diffs in to test.

Speaking of diffs, have you opened any of them yet and confirmed (pull everything out and then check, not leave assembled) the gears, gears to input shafts connections, etc.

As for the slipper, if you have the exotek locker on hand, try that too. Could be a good way to eliminate one area.

Also, confirm the motor is good to go too in another vehicle.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #599
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
odd thought. Could you replicate the grinding noise on the workbench? Basically, assemble say half the drive train (slipper to rear) and give it power and see if it grinds, swap diffs in to test.

Speaking of diffs, have you opened any of them yet and confirmed (pull everything out and then check, not leave assembled) the gears, gears to input shafts connections, etc.

As for the slipper, if you have the exotek locker on hand, try that too. Could be a good way to eliminate one area.

Also, confirm the motor is good to go too in another vehicle.
Trying to replicate the sound is my next step. I tore it completely down and inspected everything. The diffs are like new inside, the fluid still looks new, that's how little wear has occurred. I will have to try isolating it to the front rear of center. I do not have the locker, so that's not in option. But I did tighten it all the way down at the track to eliminate the slipper when it first happened. No effect at all.

I did pull the motor pinion to make sure it wasn't slipping, it was tight and centered as it should be. It's a brand new Team Orion XLT magnesium 6.5. It was never installed in anything else so far but I will swap it to test.

Methodically going through this thing. It has to be something. This is crazy as hell. If I can't find it after completely rebuilding the car, my DESC410V2 is fully restored, waiting on assembly. I believe I can hot swap each individual assembly until it fixes the issue; this revealing the faulty component. It may just come down to that...
Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #600
Tech Legend

cool.

If you don't have them, try to get some different pads for sure, and the exotek slipper locker isn't a bad tool to have.

Don't like durango's pads, too thin. AEs will work.