R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #331
Tech Fanatic
 
JRSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 752
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Yeah. I got me a set the day they became available. Im glad exotek made the wing mounts. Im wondering if they are going to make the rear diff holder. Mine broke the first time I drove the car for unknown reasons.

What do you guys think about the chassis flex? do you think is about right or a little excessive? I had center shaft popped out the center diff once due to the chassis flexing. That "brace" that sits on the rear could me made of a stiffer plastic or aluminum to reduce the flex IMO.
__________________
SOAR Seiki 998 TD1 Nitro
SOAR Seiki 998 TD1 E-buggy
PR Racing SB401
Dialed-RC Hobbies (www.dialedhobbies.com), SOAR Seiki USA
Bellgate Distributor (www.bellgatedistributor.com), PR Racing USA
JRSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #332
Tech Master
 
Laker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,810
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
Yeah. I got me a set the day they became available. Im glad exotek made the wing mounts. Im wondering if they are going to make the rear diff holder. Mine broke the first time I drove the car for unknown reasons.

What do you guys think about the chassis flex? do you think is about right or a little excessive? I had center shaft popped out the center diff once due to the chassis flexing. That "brace" that sits on the rear could me made of a stiffer plastic or aluminum to reduce the flex IMO.
I'm sure that if you emailed them at Exotek you could peak their interest in the rear diff holder. I would buy one. I haven't broken one yet but you never know what the future might bring. I keep a spare one in my box just in case.

I think the car has great flex, but for those time when you land on the peak of a landing I have had the front driveline pop out a couple of times. But I have to hit it pretty hard.

You could always spend the money and get the aluminum Side pods for the V4 and that would get rid of your flex issue, and keep the center drivelines in place. The only downside is that depending on your tracks grip it might take some setup changes to get the car to hook up like it did naturally before.
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors: Maclan Racing, Addiction RC, Exotek, Jconcepts, Futaba, and Trakpower
Brian Jenkins
Local track: Addiction RC in Ogden, UT - AddictionRC.net

Last edited by Laker67; 08-04-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #333
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,526
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

hmm, I haven't run the car as much as everyone else, but the times I ran it indoors carpet and outdoors low traction dirt I didn't see flex as an issue.

However, I am not running as much power through the vehicle as you guys are, and i also run the ESC behind the motor too which who knows maybe helps relative to what is flexing in some fashion.

having options though to tune or detune flex is a something nice to have.

Love the car, enough so its why I have been holding on to it still hoping for some 1/10 4wd action, maybe it will just be a winter carpet thing.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #334
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: mentor oh
Posts: 281
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzchop
Default

Got about 4 packs in the car Wednesday. Went to 3 In the rear and removed the front bar car seemed good with new tires. Seems to be a little twitchy has a lot of off power steering. I did pop the front center driveshaft out once. Also went to 60k on the center
Fuzzchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #335
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,526
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

nice vid of a dex410v5 in racing action (not mine):

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #336
Tech Elite
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,972
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzchop View Post
Got about 4 packs in the car Wednesday. Went to 3 In the rear and removed the front bar car seemed good with new tires. Seems to be a little twitchy has a lot of off power steering. I did pop the front center driveshaft out once. Also went to 60k on the center
Not sure if the V5 shares the exact same geometry as the v3 & v4 but the best change I made to mine is the 21 front blocks. It smoothed out and stabilized the steering. Before this my car would struggle a bit to turn unless I throttle steered or released the throttle and braked a bit but it scrubbed off too much speed. With the 21 blocks the steering is excellent all the time. Tires do make a difference though. Tires that don't bite hard cause the car drift a touch but evenly and pretty level. I've not found the rear to break away on me as a result. I run 7K/3.5K in the diffs with center slipper. Not sure how that translates to the center setup on the V5 though.
__________________
ROB RIVERA
≈ PRS1 2014 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Team Powers Plutonium17.5 ≈
≈ DEX410 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Reedy Sonic 6.5T ≈
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #337
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,526
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

for those running carpet, what do you guys recommend for tires if you are not allowed to use hard pin tires? Right now running worn clay compound tires or something like like an proline ion or a scrub.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #338
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
for those running carpet, what do you guys recommend for tires if you are not allowed to use hard pin tires? Right now running worn clay compound tires or something like like an proline ion or a scrub.
Can you run Schumacher tires? They're quite a bit softer than Pinpoints
blankenj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #339
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just read all 23 pages... Some great info in here. Just placed an order tonight for my DEX410V5 so i'm getting excited. Picked up a 22T pinon and 7.5T motor based on some recommendations in here along with an Exotec aluminum wing mount.

60k Center seem like an ok place to start? (Seems like people are doing 60k or 100k?) My LHS is a clay track where they just did the ROAR nationals at last week.

One stupid question though - I do tend to run out in the street with my buddies a lot when we're not at the track and i'm afraid to damage the front shock towers if I traction roll. Will some zip ties on front the suspension mounts give me a little added protection? Anyone have a different/better solution?

Last question - I hate beating up my chassis's - anyone make a decent chassis protector/skin for this platform? I haven't found anything so far other than this (http://www.s1racing.net/accessory-wr...is-protectors/) - but is the dex410 chassis all the same (v1-v5 would use the same film?)
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #340
Tech Adept
 
Evilgies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Just read all 23 pages... Some great info in here. Just placed an order tonight for my DEX410V5 so i'm getting excited. Picked up a 22T pinon and 7.5T motor based on some recommendations in here along with an Exotec aluminum wing mount.

60k Center seem like an ok place to start? (Seems like people are doing 60k or 100k?) My LHS is a clay track where they just did the ROAR nationals at last week.

One stupid question though - I do tend to run out in the street with my buddies a lot when we're not at the track and i'm afraid to damage the front shock towers if I traction roll. Will some zip ties on front the suspension mounts give me a little added protection? Anyone have a different/better solution?

Last question - I hate beating up my chassis's - anyone make a decent chassis protector/skin for this platform? I haven't found anything so far other than this (http://www.s1racing.net/accessory-wr...is-protectors/) - but is the dex410 chassis all the same (v1-v5 would use the same film?)
Here you go:


http://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?...ategory_id=245

and:



http://www.shapeways.com/product/G84...ionId=59314642
__________________
Racing Offroad in The Netherlands
Evilgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #341
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,526
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankenj99 View Post
Can you run Schumacher tires? They're quite a bit softer than Pinpoints
no they will still be considered hard pin tires.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #342
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 265
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thank you!

Can anyone explain why they use 14mm hex for the standard wheels? Seems like no one else does this and I can't seem to see why that's an advantage?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #343
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,526
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Thank you!

Can anyone explain why they use 14mm hex for the standard wheels? Seems like no one else does this and I can't seem to see why that's an advantage?
most likely it was felt that it wouldn't strip wheels as easy as a 12mm hex. Some other companies have 14mm hex wheels, Sworkz I believe (I am assuming they are 14mm) has the wheel hex setup like a 1/8 buggy so the nut that secures the wheel looks the same.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #344
Tech Master
 
Jtipsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 1,294
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Gearing for a 8.5 motor. Smaller track 100 x 40 small jumps on layout.
__________________
Joseph Tuepker
Jtipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #345
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,526
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtipsy View Post
Gearing for a 8.5 motor. Smaller track 100 x 40 small jumps on layout.
I started with the recommendation here:

http://www.durangofansite.com/main.p...0&page=gearing

from there see where you top out down the longest straight and adjust, and check temps. that shoudl get you where you want to be.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:12 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net