R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #211
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,056
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

I took mine to race but we didn't have turnout for wheeler. I ran some laps though and just love the car. I went with the exotek slipper locker as a change, and of coursea replacement shock shaft, no breakage to report.

I did let another fast driver run my car who had a D413 previously that he sold to get the new Xray and he really liked the feel of my car. I let him try it unsauced and sauced I believe, steering was just amazing.

If he didn't get that Xray I wouldn't have been surprised to see a dex410v5 make an appearance
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #212
Tech Apprentice
 
PIHGUAM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 99
Default

Ran the V5 at the Sunday race. Took TQ and finished first in the main. So far the V5 is the only car that has made 10 laps on our track at 5 minutes.

The V5 is so consistent and predictable.

Couple things though, I seem to be burning through front tires. They are wearing much faster then the rear. To the point they are slicks whereas the rear are only worn about 40%. Im thinking this might be the center dif fluid. But I'm using Ofna 7k, which is much lighter then the suggested dif fluid.

Other issue is with the battery strap hold downs on the front side. There is only one screw that holds this hold down in place and it is bending from the weight of the battery tugging on it. Would really like to see a more solid battery hold down rather then the velcro straps. I'm going to work on something different and let you guys know what I come up with.
PIHGUAM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #213
Tech Elite
 
jhautz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,263
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHGUAM1 View Post
Ran the V5 at the Sunday race. Took TQ and finished first in the main. So far the V5 is the only car that has made 10 laps on our track at 5 minutes.

The V5 is so consistent and predictable.

Couple things though, I seem to be burning through front tires. They are wearing much faster then the rear. To the point they are slicks whereas the rear are only worn about 40%. Im thinking this might be the center dif fluid. But I'm using Ofna 7k, which is much lighter then the suggested dif fluid.

Other issue is with the battery strap hold downs on the front side. There is only one screw that holds this hold down in place and it is bending from the weight of the battery tugging on it. Would really like to see a more solid battery hold down rather then the velcro straps. I'm going to work on something different and let you guys know what I come up with.
Yea. Your front tire issue is surely the center diff oil being way to light. I'm running 60K in mine and think I'm going to go up because it still unloads alot of power to the front tires. I'm surprised you have any forward bite at all with 7K.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #214
Tech Apprentice
 
PIHGUAM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 99
Default

Are you running saddles in the back? Might have to do with the weight bias being more to the rear. Im going to go up on the center dif fluid and see how it works for the tire wear.
PIHGUAM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #215
Tech Master
 
Rideordieguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Park Slope NYC Baby.....
Posts: 1,570
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Cool 1st impression

Ran a bunch of practice lapse on Friday and I have to say the buggy handled very stable and responsive. Went with the stock setup/rear motor shorty/7.5 tax. Even the stock fluids felt right kept the power tamed and under control. I also left the front sway bars off. Had a couple flips due to a new layout and timing the triples and surface we are running primes but the track traction is dialed. Will report after its first official race. 2 changes I'm going to try is going with the rear red springs and gonna try the tapered shock inserts.
Rideordieguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #216
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,056
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Yea. Your front tire issue is surely the center diff oil being way to light. I'm running 60K in mine and think I'm going to go up because it still unloads alot of power to the front tires. I'm surprised you have any forward bite at all with 7K.
+1 . With that really light center diff oil I am not surprised you are burning up front tires fast either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordieguy1 View Post
Ran a bunch of practice lapse on Friday and I have to say the buggy handled very stable and responsive. Went with the stock setup/rear motor shorty/7.5 tax. Even the stock fluids felt right kept the power tamed and under control. I also left the front sway bars off. Had a couple flips due to a new layout and timing the triples and surface we are running primes but the track traction is dialed. Will report after its first official race. 2 changes I'm going to try is going with the rear red springs and gonna try the tapered shock inserts.
Good stuff!


Looks like its time to start getting the car ready for outdoor loose conditions where goose bump tires reign. Any tips on setup? Right now, thinking of pulling the locker off and slipper back on, going to stock 60K fluid instead of 100K.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #217
Tech Elite
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,974
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

OK here's one for you guys who have both the v5 and a V4 or earlier with a slipper…

My son now runs my v3 and it is simply money. Super smooth and stable and agile and nimble as can be. I have a different brand wheeler that initially included a center GD which I HATE, but this v5 has the center GD with slipper so I'm curious to know how it compares to the slipper in both performance and more importantly, adjustability. adjusting the slipper on the 410 and doing pretty much anything on the car is by far and large the easiest in the industry and nothing comes close.

I was finally able to get the slipper for my current car and it was a mission to remove the GR and drop in the slipper and the factory setting was pretty much locking it out which relegates it to no slipping anyway, and to adjust I have to tear things down again and hope it's just right or else it's revert to step 1. LOL

Needless to say, I took my son's car around the track to get his steering just right and I instantly knew I had to go back to Durango for my wheeler.

If anyone can fill me in on how this v5 compares to the previous version in terms of tendencies and how much previous setups translate to this car I'd really appreciate it.


Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
Yea. Your front tire issue is surely the center diff oil being way to light. I'm running 60K in mine and think I'm going to go up because it still unloads alot of power to the front tires. I'm surprised you have any forward bite at all with 7K.
Holy hell, why such a vast and drastic change in diff fluids for the v5 from previous versions?

Used to be 10K up front was pushing it and now 60k? I tried 100K in my current wheeler's center diff and heavier oils in both diffs and I feel like it's just added resistance for my drivetrain and my motor and ESC are cookin' by the time I finish a run.

On my son's v3 I have 7000F/3500R and it's so smooth and perfect traction front to rear on every surface type. Only a minor slipper adjustment is needed from time to time when conditions are looser than normal.
__________________
ROB RIVERA
≈ PRS1 2014 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Team Powers Plutonium17.5 ≈
≈ DEX410 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Reedy Sonic 6.5T ≈
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #218
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,056
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
..
Holy hell, why such a vast and drastic change in diff fluids for the v5 from previous versions?

Used to be 10K up front was pushing it and now 60k? I tried 100K in my current wheeler's center diff and heavier oils in both diffs and I feel like it's just added resistance for my drivetrain and my motor and ESC are cookin' by the time I finish a run.

On my son's v3 I have 7000F/3500R and it's so smooth and perfect traction front to rear on every surface type. Only a minor slipper adjustment is needed from time to time when conditions are looser than normal.
I believe and took his comment as he was talking about the center diff.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #219
Tech Elite
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,974
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Ah, misread that completely. LOL
ROUGH weekend.
__________________
ROB RIVERA
≈ PRS1 2014 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Team Powers Plutonium17.5 ≈
≈ DEX410 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Reedy Sonic 6.5T ≈
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #220
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,056
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

lol no prob.

I can't comment on the previous versions of the car, but I can say this car is the best handling one of the bunch of cars I have here in various classes. Its an effortless drive. Very impressed.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #221
Tech Elite
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,974
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

That's my dilemma. I'm going to definitely come back to Durango because my son's v3 was easy to drive and I wasn't working the wheel nearly as much as with my wheeler and the car did what I wanted. Hit every jump properly and could gun it just before the mid point of apexes and rip right out into the next one. Just sensational. As such I am leaning towards the v4 because I know it so well but the v5 looks really good with a BUNCH of revisions and upgraded components.

If I EVER hear anyone ask if there is an better system than Durango to work on, I just may pimp slap them. LOL

Installing the slipper in my car required a tear down of sorts and to adjust it I had to tear it down again and HOPE it was good or It'd have to be rinse and repeat. There has never been a better, more convenient system than Durango's quick pull setup. Event he battery removal is a synch! Takes me less than 10 seconds to pop out batteries and drop in fresh ones. Glad the v5 retained it for the center at least. Seems the battery strap system might need a revision though.
__________________
ROB RIVERA
≈ PRS1 2014 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Team Powers Plutonium17.5 ≈
≈ DEX410 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Reedy Sonic 6.5T ≈
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #222
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,056
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

for the battery strap setup coming from 1/8 e buggy where straps are common, I don't have too much complaints on it. It does the job fine, I think the only thing to keep in mind is some lipos in shorty form as slightly smaller than others lengthwise, so you may find you need a spacer of sorts on those to take up some slack, nothing major here, we are talking maybe about 3mm I have seen going from one pack to another on my car, and I run it in shorty configuration with ESC behind the motor.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #223
Tech Elite
 
the incubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,974
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
for the battery strap setup coming from 1/8 e buggy where straps are common, I don't have too much complaints on it. It does the job fine, I think the only thing to keep in mind is some lipos in shorty form as slightly smaller than others lengthwise, so you may find you need a spacer of sorts on those to take up some slack, nothing major here, we are talking maybe about 3mm I have seen going from one pack to another on my car, and I run it in shorty configuration with ESC behind the motor.
Thanks for the help sir.
__________________
ROB RIVERA
≈ PRS1 2014 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Team Powers Plutonium17.5 ≈
≈ DEX410 :: SP Reventon Pro 1.1 :: Reedy Sonic 6.5T ≈
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #224
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,056
Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default

no prob
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #225
Tech Elite
 
jhautz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,263
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Holy hell, why such a vast and drastic change in diff fluids for the v5 from previous versions?

Used to be 10K up front was pushing it and now 60k? I tried 100K in my current wheeler's center diff and heavier oils in both diffs and I feel like it's just added resistance for my drivetrain and my motor and ESC are cookin' by the time I finish a run.

On my son's v3 I have 7000F/3500R and it's so smooth and perfect traction front to rear on every surface type. Only a minor slipper adjustment is needed from time to time when conditions are looser than normal.
Front and rear diff oils aren't that high. Just the center. I'm running 7/60/4 right now. The center gets the heavy oil or all the power unloads to the front. (hence his bald front tires)

I personally like the center diff vs just the slipper. I never ran the old car without it but I am from a 1/8 background so the 3 diff tuning just makes more sense to me.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:36 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net