Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10 4wd 70% basher / 30% racer - Suggestions? >

1/10 4wd 70% basher / 30% racer - Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 4wd 70% basher / 30% racer - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
a2t
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10 4wd 70% basher / 30% racer - Suggestions?

Looking for suggestions on a good 4wd 1/10th electric used for 70% bashing / 30% not very serious racing on the odd free weekend.

The Slash has too high a COG, and the truck body, I dont like it. I know all about the Slash and am looking for something else. A buggy, hopefully.

Ideally it could be tunable for both scenerios. I prefer a buggy style chassis (lower to ground, open wheels). Or maybe a short course truck that can run an open wheel body, and lower suspension if thats possible?

Ive got an associated B4.2 right now and its a nice car but breaks every time I run it. Ive thought about a B44.3 as Im sorta partial to AE but watched the fanboy youtube review where the guy is nearly in tears by the end of the review because the B44.3 is so fragile. So I guess I dont want that either. I wonder if the 44.2 or 44.1 are fragile too ?

Durable, easy to find, easy to work on, cheap parts, upgradable, could run at the track for mainly practice, hell maybe an event if I get the time.

All suggestions appreciated here, please let me know make/model you would suggest and why.

Not looking to break the bank here, just get into a decent 4wd that I can play around with and maybe get more serious into the hobby.

Last edited by a2t; 01-15-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

strc slash 4x4 chassis
Old 01-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

No 1/10 4wd race buggy will suffer bashing well. If you have 1/8 racing available to you, you'll be a lot happier with a 1/8 buggy.

If not, you juat need a racer and a separate car to bash/play with.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

bash kits and race kits are typically mutually exclusive. If you have a class you want to race, put together a race kit to compete in that specific class. If you want to bash, buy a basher just for that.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 AM
a2t
Tech Initiate

ok well which semi decent racer is more durable than a b44.3?

good value, easy to maintain, and has good parts support ? Doesnt need to be the best racer just good enough hopefully with some durability at least.

i dont want 2 cars, and want to stick with 1:10.

If you really cant offer any suggestions for a dual purpose buggy, then let me know what basher buggy you'd suggest.

thanks for help
Old 01-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by a2t

good value, easy to maintain, and has good parts support ? Doesnt need to be the best racer just good enough hopefully with some durability at least.

If you really cant offer any suggestions for a dual purpose buggy, then let me know what basher buggy you'd suggest.

thanks for help
LOS03001. If the budget allows this will fit the bill
Old 01-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by a2t

thanks for help
I have the 44.2 and the only thing that I have broken were the front arms. Replaced them with RPM and haven't (knock on wood) broken anything else since. I think that car is more durable than the 4.2 by far.

But mostly everyone here is right. Not that the 4wd 10th scale are delicate flowers, but they are def. not made to be bashers. The top ones are all born and bread racers. I couldn't even imagine bashing my 44.2.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The B44 series of cars is widely considered one of the least durable race level 1/10th cars out there. If you want a 4wd buggy that is known for durability, go with the Xray. Part support may be on-online only, but the buggy, from what I hear, is very durable. But like I said... this is only a good choice if there is a predictable 4wd buggy class to race in. If not (there isn't here in the NW), it is a poor choice for a chassis.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

^^^ What Capt said. I haven't heard a lot of complaints on the TLR 22-4 nor the Hot Bodies D413. Many of the AE wheelers are running the B5 ball cups, RPM brand front arms, as well as updated aluminum steering racks and this seems to have improved the durability of the car.

Personally, I feel it's unrealistic that a 4wd car exists that is both durable and suited for bashing. They break even in the hands of skilled drivers. Compared to the other classes in 1/10 scale RC off road racing, 4wd is the fastest, most powerful, and in a relatively small package. They don't break because they are fragile, they break because they are small rockets!

You may have better luck with an 1/8 scale car.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
^^^ What Capt said. I haven't heard a lot of complaints on the TLR 22-4 nor the Hot Bodies D413. Many of the AE wheelers are running the B5 ball cups, RPM brand front arms, as well as updated aluminum steering racks and this seems to have improved the durability of the car.

Personally, I feel it's unrealistic that a 4wd car exists that is both durable and suited for bashing. They break even in the hands of skilled drivers. Compared to the other classes in 1/10 scale RC off road racing, 4wd is the fastest, most powerful, and in a relatively small package. They don't break because they are fragile, they break because they are small rockets!

You may have better luck with an 1/8 scale car.
+1 I never use my race cars for bashing.
I don't know what level of bashing is being done here, but I got an Axial Yeti just for that. Bought it used for cheap. Been holding up pretty good so far.
Not my vid, but very durable. This is my definition of bashing. If you did this with any 1/10 4wd buggy, it will probably break on the first hit.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The biggest impediment to a 1/10 4wd for bashing is wheel size and ground clearance. They're going to struggle on un-groomed surfaces. A 4x4 SCT might be a better choice, while still being a raceable class at many tracks.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're dead set on a 1/10 4wd buggy, give the d413 a look, very sturdy car. If 1/8 is an option, definitely go that route, go grab yourself an 8ight-E 3.0
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Define bashing as it applies to you. Where will you be driving it? If you think the Slash has too high a CoG for racing and you also want something you can bash you might be asking for something that doesn't exist.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Crashaholic
Define bashing as it applies to you. Where will you be driving it? If you think the Slash has too high a CoG for racing and you also want something you can bash you might be asking for something that doesn't exist.
Completely agree with this statement. I don't think what you want exists.

And for the others, hard to bash with a 1/10th anything, except a short course truck.

For the record, I race an older AE B4.1 buggy and despite some pretty serious hits and bumps and jumps, it has held up very well. Aluminum upgrades and better shocks solved any real problems I had, which were minimal to begin with. I also run a Slash and once I lightened it up a bit, did some minor reinforcements and put some rear A-arms on the front with a few modifications, that baby is solid.

But, if you were intent on a 1/10th 4WD electric, I have seen (not raced) a Kyosho Dirt Hog hold up well. There is a guy in my neighborhood that is definitely on the bashing side who runs one and it has taken a pretty good beating from what I have seen. That being said, the few times he has gone to the track with me for anything competitive, it usually does not hold up well to anything suped up on the track and further, he drove it in to my B4.1 in the middle of a race at a bad angle for both of us and the Kyosho lost that battle.

I would suggest either a 1/8th or two 1/10th cars. One on the cheap side for practice and bashing and one for competition. I think you'll figure out pretty quick which way you want to go and spend your cash on one or the other primarily.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

For 4wd buggy , I would suggest the hot bodies d413 or if you want something very durable and able to race when need be, the caster s10b v4.

But 1/10 4wd buggy is a kind of a racer type car anyway. I'd go 1/10 4wd sc and get the tekno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.