Search

Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Buying Advice

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some advice and recommendations as I'm relatively new to the RC world. I'm after a 1/8 scale vehicle for bashing. I own/have owned an MT4-G3 (w. MAX8 and 4270SL 2200kv in it) in the past as well as an HPI Bullet ST Flux.

I like the MT4-G3 but its almost too monster truck'ish for me. I'm a huge fan of the buggy style but the low ground-clearance is a concern. In terms of look i'm a fan of the HPI Vorza but again the clearance is a concern. I really don't like the typical truggy look either which makes it very difficult for me to find something.

My priorities are:
- Has to be durable and relatively easy to fix; i'm not a tool wizard
- Has to be able to run on 6S
- Has to do at least 50mph
- Must be able to perform both off-road and on-road with obvious drawbacks (i'm not expecting a master of all; probably 70% off-road, 30% on-road)
- Must have decent parts support
- Doesn't have to be RTR
- Waterproof (if RTR)
- Budget: $1000

looking forward to some suggestions!

thanks a lot!

Last edited by mlax; 01-10-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mlax
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some advice and recommendations as I'm relatively new to the RC world. I'm after a 1/8 scale vehicle for bashing. I own/have owned an MT4-G3 (w. MAX8 and 4270SL 2200kv in it) in the past as well as an HPI Bullet ST Flux.

I like the MT4-G3 but its almost too monster truck'ish for me. I'm a huge fan of the buggy style but the low ground-clearance is a concern. In terms of look i'm a fan of the HPI Vorza but again the clearance is a concern. I really don't like the typical truggy look either which makes it very difficult for me to find something.

My priorities are:
- Has to be durable and relatively easy to fix; i'm not a tool wizard
- Has to be able to run on 6S
- Has to do at least 50mph
- Must be able to perform both off-road and on-road with obvious drawbacks (i'm not expecting a master of all; probably 70% off-road, 30% on-road)
- Must have decent parts support
- Doesn't have to be RTR
- Budget: $1000

looking forward to some suggestions!

thanks a lot!
Quoted to overcome post approval glitch
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Get a tekno eb48 but i don't own one yet so I can't tell you any stats
Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ok, and how does a Tekno EB48 differ from a Vorza Flux in terms of ground clearance etc. and if you don't own it, why would you recommend it?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have the Vorza. Does good on the surfaces I run on. Pavement,baseball field sand, grass. It's becoming an old vehicle. Heavy compared to a couple other buggies. Probably never run at a track so weight not a issue to me.
The recent Arrma vehicles seem to be interesting. Typhoon looks interesting. And they seem to have gotten past the early ESC issue. Never seem one run though.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

I'm getting a tekno EB48.3 to race but from what I read in the fourms it is a super durable buggy. So you could bash it and then if you decide you want to race you can race it.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

none of the recommendations address the concerns regarding ground clearance...are people modding the EB48 onto larger tires?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Arrma Kraton or Talion sounds like the truck for you.

Last edited by Rabidtrout; 01-11-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

From your description it sounds like you're looking for a truggy. You basically described your MT4. If you don't like your MT4 because it's too monster truckish then just get some different tires/body for it. You say you want ground clearance so that basically rules out all 1/8 buggies. You don't want a true monster truck. The only thing left is truggies. Someone else already mentioned the Kraton which is basically the same thing as your MT4 only it's waterproof with different tires, body, and a wing instead of a wheelie bar.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

thanks for the input. I haven't looked at Arrma so far at all, so this is great...that Kraton looks like it could do some damage...how is the performance of these things stock (6S)?

I saw that there is a truggy version of the EB48, the ET48, which looks pretty good as well.

I also came across the Losi XXL2-E...it might be again too much monster truck but damn that thing looks sexy i got to say...
Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

ET48 works well, however if you run truggy sized motors you can run into space issues available for the esc of anything but a Tekin RX8 Gen 2 if running sensored mode as the sensor ports get too close to the esc. Sensorless its fine, and, maybe with the mamba monster x it would be a non issue based on how the port comes out, but don't know.

Also, ET48 bodies unless they changed them are not durable at all, like garbage I hate to say it.

But it can take some serious power for sure.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

IMO, you have one of, if not, the best out of the box MT's built in the past few years. The MT4-G3 checks all of those boxes. It is the LEAST monster trucky of all the MT's due to it's chassis layout and center diff.

The Arrma will probably be less durable than what you have now. Have you considered making a few changes to the MT4 to take the MT look away? A lower stance with a softer suspension, different wheels and tires, and a new body would make a world of difference looks wise. You might spend $100-$150 doing that, leaving you with a ton of budget left to try a second rig like a buggy or something.

I personally intend on buying a used rig at some point in the near future, the MT4 is at the top of my list. They look to be great trucks
Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrenchdoctor
IMO, you have one of, if not, the best out of the box MT's built in the past few years. The MT4-G3 checks all of those boxes. It is the LEAST monster trucky of all the MT's due to it's chassis layout and center diff.

The Arrma will probably be less durable than what you have now. Have you considered making a few changes to the MT4 to take the MT look away? A lower stance with a softer suspension, different wheels and tires, and a new body would make a world of difference looks wise. You might spend $100-$150 doing that, leaving you with a ton of budget left to try a second rig like a buggy or something.

I personally intend on buying a used rig at some point in the near future, the MT4 is at the top of my list. They look to be great trucks
I have an MT4 I'll sell ya cheap! The parts are scattered all over the Internet in the U.S. You break a few things on it and you have to scour the net and place multiple orders to get everything you need. Ever since TT changed distributors the parts support for the MT4 has sucked. It's a good truck but not great. The only reason it gained so much popularity is because it used to be the only RTR 1/8 scale capable of 6s on the market. The Brushless ERevo and Savage flux were available but for 2 to 3 hundred dollars more. The Arrma Kraton and Talion are priced cheaper than the MT4 and have similar performance and durability. They also seem to be gaining in popularity and are supported all over the net. My local Hobbytown even has a few of them on display.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
I have an MT4 I'll sell ya cheap! The parts are scattered all over the Internet in the U.S. You break a few things on it and you have to scour the net and place multiple orders to get everything you need. Ever since TT changed distributors the parts support for the MT4 has sucked. It's a good truck but not great. The only reason it gained so much popularity is because it used to be the only RTR 1/8 scale capable of 6s on the market. The Brushless ERevo and Savage flux were available but for 2 to 3 hundred dollars more. The Arrma Kraton and Talion are priced cheaper than the MT4 and have similar performance and durability. They also seem to be gaining in popularity and are supported all over the net. My local Hobbytown even has a few of them on display.
I may very well take you up on that offer soon. Im getting finished with another quick project and then im off to the races on the new rig.

Regarding the Arrma durability, because i dont know for sure. This is why i took them off my list;

Did they get get their random ESC failures figured out?
Premature servo failure?
Hinge pins still of concern?
Shock ends breakage?
Wing Mounts still have a high failure rate?
Rear shock towers bending?
Diff failure on 6s?
steering hubs?
unshielded bearings?

So far as i know, an MT4 would have me on the hook for;
doubling the shock towers
bracing the top of the shock towers to prevent chassis warp
Put oil in the center diff to keep the front tires from diffing out.
spare parts dealers are hard to come by.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrenchdoctor
I may very well take you up on that offer soon. Im getting finished with another quick project and then im off to the races on the new rig.

Regarding the Arrma durability, because i dont know for sure. This is why i took them off my list;

Did they get get their random ESC failures figured out?
Premature servo failure?
Hinge pins still of concern?
Shock ends breakage?
Wing Mounts still have a high failure rate?
Rear shock towers bending?
Diff failure on 6s?
steering hubs?
unshielded bearings?

So far as i know, an MT4 would have me on the hook for;
doubling the shock towers
bracing the top of the shock towers to prevent chassis warp
Put oil in the center diff to keep the front tires from diffing out.
spare parts dealers are hard to come by.
The Mt4 has many of the issues you listed for the Arrma. The stock MT4 steering servo sucks, the hinge pins suck, I've broke a shock end and bent a shock shaft, the MT4 has no wing but the wheelie bar is virtually unbreakable, the shock towers are crap and bend easily, 6s shreds the diffs, I've broke 3 steering hubs, my bearings have been fine. My ESC lasted 3 yrs and finally died when I got snow in it last winter. Seriously, I'm not saying the Arrma is any better, but finding parts for the MT4 is next to impossible at times. All these trucks break. I don't care if it's an MT4, Kraton, or a high dollar Tekno truggy. Go ahead and get an MT4, finding that 1 part you really need to fix it can be an adventure!