Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
If "stock" were a spec class, what parts would you specify? >

If "stock" were a spec class, what parts would you specify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If "stock" were a spec class, what parts would you specify?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Default If "stock" were a spec class, what parts would you specify?

Spec classes seem to be more common in on-road racing, where a control tire is often used at minimum, but there are controlled motor and chassis classes as well. "17.5" class is in trouble, with these ever-more-powerful batteries, lighter motors, and custom chassis parts eating up the budgets of stock racers.

If your club turned 17.5 into a "spec" class, where some components were restricted to specific brands/models, would you race it? Which components would you want controlled?

Some things that could be restricted: motor, ESC (blinky, or specific model), battery, tires and traction compound, chassis, etc..
Old 12-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Tires. Spec one that works ok(not great) and lasts long. The added power from people buying the very best becomes a non issue.

Keep in mind, this is racing. A person with a larger wallet will do better than their skill level. There is nothing you can do to change this.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bracket
. "17.5" class is in trouble..
No, it isn't. It's healthier than "stock" has ever been in the hobby's history.

I wouldn't mind if traction additives were banned, personally.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
No, it isn't. It's healthier than "stock" has ever been in the hobby's history.

I wouldn't mind if traction additives were banned, personally.
+1

Ban additives!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Add 500 to 1,000 grams.
That takes care of spending a mint on the car and might encourage some people to break out older cars and full size batteries.
Tires, meh.
There's always stuff people will do at home that can't be tech'd.
Motor and batteries will always have to be tech'd.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Lord

Adding weight will just eat tires and the older cars were lighter (my XXX w/ full size Lipo was 1500g).

There's not much you can do to rubber that isn't immediately apparent by smell. If your tires smell funny, they stay in mod class..
Old 12-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

You want to add 500-1000 grams but mention doing that to spend less money. Adding all that weight will contribute to more broken parts. It will also add stress to the motor, speedo, battery, tires, bearings, gears, and just about every single other piece on a buggy. A full size battery doesn't fit in either buggy I have. The last club race I was at the winner didn't have Pucks, cut gears, slipper eliminator, or ceramic bearings.
I guess it has been a month or so since people have had a thread saying how doomed 17.5 racing is.
Blake
Old 12-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Just my opinion.
Would eliminate the need for titanium and carbon fiber. Ceramic bearings would still be pricey.
Wouldn't matter around here anyway. I've run at 5 different tracks for a year solid and only seen a scale once....

And I can't wash my tires??
Old 12-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

My YZ-2 sits at 1526 right now. If I take out the full size servo and replace it with a low profile one there goes ten grams. The SMC oversize cap for a stock Justock cap reduces the weight by eleven grams. Putting the aluminum suspension hangers back on over the steel ones shaves off another eleven grams. I'm under 1500 when its out of the box.
When I ran my Cubed in Stock it was at 1513 with aluminum CVD's and a Speedy's eliminator and cut gears.
One buggy I spent money to make it heavier and the other I spent money to let the motor spool up faster.
This belief that it requires loads of money to compete in stock racing is baffling. It only takes a 17.5 and a speedo in blinky.
Just for laughs. Please explain how I can add 500-1000 grams onto my buggy.
Blake
Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

spec tires (optimum tread pattern but one compound harder than optimum for longevity), no traction additive allowed, spec motor and esc (blinky).

if the stock/blinky/17.5 class is for a purpose, I believe it should be in attempt to have a somewhat level playing field for those that have little experience in the hobby to build their skills while trying to control the cost.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by oPAULo
Just my opinion.
Would eliminate the need for titanium and carbon fiber. Ceramic bearings would still be pricey.
Wouldn't matter around here anyway. I've run at 5 different tracks for a year solid and only seen a scale once....

And I can't wash my tires??
1,000g is 2.2lb (making a buggy weigh about what a 4x4/SCT does). As for the ti, carbon, and ceramic bearings, you don't need any of that stuff now.

And sure you can wash your tires- with water. Why would you need anything else?
Old 12-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zeakemedia
My YZ-2 sits at 1526 right now. If I take out the full size servo and replace it with a low profile one there goes ten grams. The SMC oversize cap for a stock Justock cap reduces the weight by eleven grams. Putting the aluminum suspension hangers back on over the steel ones shaves off another eleven grams. I'm under 1500 when its out of the box.
When I ran my Cubed in Stock it was at 1513 with aluminum CVD's and a Speedy's eliminator and cut gears.
One buggy I spent money to make it heavier and the other I spent money to let the motor spool up faster.
This belief that it requires loads of money to compete in stock racing is baffling. It only takes a 17.5 and a speedo in blinky.
Just for laughs. Please explain how I can add 500-1000 grams onto my buggy.
Blake
This sums it up for me pretty good. Spend spend spend.....

Maybe 1000 is a bit much. I agree.
I have 2 RB6's at 1600 and I've put on 300 at my local dry slick track to get it to hook.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

I guess I just envision a stock class from the early 90's. Beginners and cheap cars. Start in stock and work your way up to mod.
All different types of cars.
I just got back into the hobby 1 year ago after a 21 year lay off and I really see that the grass roots, backyard burner, shade tree mechanic crowd is non-existant.
I see them every now and then. Giving it a go. Then they get overwhelmed with all the technology and give up.

What about rear motor only?

My son and I ran spec slash class when we got into it. That was a crazy good time. Cheap. Easy to tech.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

$55 for suspension hangers and the oversize cap is spend, spend, spend? Shall I ask if your buggies are as they came in the box?
Blake
Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Spec Tires, Tire Sauce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.