Disadvantaged Using A Losi Buggy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disadvantaged Using A Losi Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

You need to register with doughtyuk.net but once you do that you can access all of the setup pages.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AE Racer
The losi has more rear traction, but people struggle to get steering out of it. Most of the fast guys are running either bk-1 and XX-CR (I think thats it) parts, very few people are competitive with a standard bk2. The fast guys drive the losi, by wheeling it through the turns, I dont mean like sliding all over the place, they are very good at it and it is precise when they do it. They also seem to go really fast point to point. The b4 has more steering, but some of this comes from the fact that the rear end is looser. It doesnt have to be loose though, you can tighten it up with the arm mod or rear shorter camber links. Most people drive the b4 through the turns and some take the turns a little wider, not really wide, but not right up againist the pipe and they drive less point to point, and more around the turns, they dont seem to go as fast between the turns but still manage to be very fast. This is just what Ive noticed at my track and doesnt include everyone.
Not having had a buggy in a long time can I ask a general question about these cars? Is the underlying reason that the B4 has more steering that it has more of a forward weight bias? Does it have less caster? Everyones posts seem to indicate the BK2 has a lot of rear traction and little steering vs the B4. Their has to be a reason for this.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DrOlds
It's not that they bind.They try to straighten themselves out under torque which in effect gives the car more roll stiffness under power.It sort of has the effect of a rear sway bar,but only on power.They can be a useful fine tuning aid.In generally dislike CVD's,but I have them in my oval XXX for more on-power steering.BTW the most efficient axles are the old plastic sliders.
I think I understand what you are saying now. I am going to go play with my CVDs now.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

I don't see what is so hard about adding steering to a car (I say this without owning a buggy just touring cars, so I don't know what I am talking about. I know). But, with the right combination of springs, sway bars, tires, weight bias, camber, caster. I could see if the weight bias is very different between a B4 and BK2 but if weight f/r is the same??? Please educate me.

Edited to add "My last buggy was the JRX2, which I loved."
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by losirunner
Losi all the way. I have ran both. So, i have a Bias, as i run Losi now, i think the Losi is more gorgiving, lots of steering, while the Associated is a point and shoot. It will go EXACTLY where u point it. In other words, EXACTLY where u point it.

point your finger directly to the trash can......

Losi all the way
Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Driver1
point your finger directly to the trash can......

Losi all the way
DAMN SKIPPY!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beerbarron
Not having had a buggy in a long time can I ask a general question about these cars? Is the underlying reason that the B4 has more steering that it has more of a forward weight bias? Does it have less caster? Everyones posts seem to indicate the BK2 has a lot of rear traction and little steering vs the B4. Their has to be a reason for this.
I am curious about this too.I don't know beans about off-road setup so hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will reply.

Has anyone ever tried taking some of the rear toe-in out? Three degrees per side has been the standard for a long time-maybe the car plants the tires well enough it doesn't need that much any more?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tyreman
One thing you might try rather that getting the CR rear end on the car is to take out the BK2 Gen 2 Diff halves and put the original ones in from the XXX Kinwald in and replace the DRIVESHAFT BONES ONLY WITH THE OLDER LONGER VERSIONS (dogbones or cvd's) BUT RETAIN THE BK2 AXLE. This will stop the car pushing so much in the corners
So basically the KE diff is narrower then the BK2 diff allowing the longer CVD's to fit?

Also, are the rear Pro-line B4 rims the same offset as the BK2 rims?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Proline B4 rims and Losi rear rims are the same offset.

The reason that it's hard to get steering out of a buggy is that they have a very rearward weight bias to make sure that they have rear traction. Any time you take traction awa from the rear of the car to get steering it becomes harder to get the car out of the corners. When you are squeezing that last 5% out of it it gets very tricky. Also, alot of the rules of road cars do not apply. Having 2" of suspension travel makes things different too. What we are talikng about with the Bk2 not steering enough is that when you get the setup to 90% of optimum every change you make to get it to 100% takes something away somewhere else.
The car is fast for those who can drive it and the B4 is not without it's problems too.

The Bk2 is not a disadvantage. It just isn't quite as versatile as we would like.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:15 PM

Here, lets make it simple. Get what u want to drive, which ever company. Every driver has his preferance. I like Losi. I used to like Associated. I got to be a better driver, now i like Losi again, who knows next week I could like associated. It is all a matter of preferance. Each car has its pros/cons. Nothing is perfect. It all comes down to driving.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losirunner
Here, lets make it simple. Get what u want to drive, which ever company. Every driver has his preferance. I like Losi. I used to like Associated. I got to be a better driver, now i like Losi again, who knows next week I could like associated. It is all a matter of preferance. Each car has its pros/cons. Nothing is perfect. It all comes down to driving.

Cool, guys thanks for all the help. Neither car is a dog, and either can win. The Losi favors different conditions than the AE. Maybe I'll flip a coin.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by beerbarron
Cool, guys thanks for all the help. Neither car is a dog, and either can win. The Losi favors different conditions than the AE. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

AMEN BROTHA!!
Old 11-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys, you all have me convinced that maybe the dog bones could help ease some of my steering problems. I've had the car running for almost two full years now and was considering keeping it through to January. If I can't get it going any faster through the turns, I was considering picking up the AE.
Now, at one time I remember Losi releasing dogbones specifically for the BK2, but it is no longer listed in their 'new products' area of the website. I think I've found them, but I thought I'd post here really quick to see if I'm looking at the right items:
For the dogbone, I found two part #'s. LOSA3089 and LOSA9987. 9987 is with the aluminum dogbone. I only run mod, will the aluminum one wear out too quickly? Secondly, does a pack come with one or two? Lastly, are these part #'s meant for the BK2? For the axle, I found the part #LOSA3027. That is for the newer rebuildable axles. Is this the correct axle? Once again, does one or two come in a pack?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need these axles to work with the standard BK2 transmission, not the BK1 transmission. I'm not yet quite in the mood to change out all of those parts yet. I'd like to see if I can't get it to work as is with the current transmission.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default losi

beerbaron,

i believe your talking about DB's. at that track you cant go wrong with either car. the track is extremely loose, not high bite. look at the top 10 fastest guys, about 70% are running losi's and that is because of the factory sponsored guys. 3 of the top 10 still swear by AE(1 of which is factory sponsored). 1 of the fastest guys actually has both and depending on that day and track conditions he might use either one(losi or AE)

i run losi there and love it. i have mixed emotions on the products, love the losi truck over the AE, and bk2 is a lil more difficult to drive fast than the AE was for me, then again, i might not have found the sweet spot setup yet for my car and my driving style.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here are the part numbers you will need to put dogbones on the rear of your BK2:
2x losA9987 XXX BK2 gen2 aluminium dogbone/driveshaft and yoke

2x losA3031 XXX BK2 gen2 offset rear axle (comes with universal cross)

1x TRI34037 XXX BK2 rear wheel spacers (blue)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.