Search
Like Tree5Likes

Setup Station Reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Setup Station Reccomendation

Looking into getting a setup station. What's good for 1/10 buggy?
I'd probably be ordering from Amazon so hopefully nothing that is too hard to find.

Suggestions and opinions welcome.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hudy. There's others out there for sure, but if you plan on staying in the hobby, the hudy set up station is worth its price. Arrowmax and integrity both make setup stations, but I've used the hudy ones on 1/8 and 1/10 for years and swear by them.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by likea45
Looking into getting a setup station. What's good for 1/10 buggy?
I'd probably be ordering from Amazon so hopefully nothing that is too hard to find.

Suggestions and opinions welcome.
Hudy Universal Exclusive Set-Up System For 1/10 Off-Road Cars #108905

The set also includes the Hudy Setup Book for Offroad.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...1&kategoria=64

Also get the Hudy Chassis Droop Gauge Support Blocks 20mm for 1/8 - LW(2) to use under the car to get repeatable measuring results.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...2&kategoria=64

Bent
Old 12-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hudy system is top notch.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Rookie

I've looked at these setup stations as well. Can someone enlighten me as to why spend $150-200 on these things instead of parts or tires? I get that they help set up camber and toe-in/toe-out, but other than that? I'm not being negative here, just confused. I also would like to hear why you guys think a setup station is a good thing. Rather than just saying "I like brand X" could you maybe go a little more into detail?
Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmhodder
I've looked at these setup stations as well. Can someone enlighten me as to why spend $150-200 on these things instead of parts or tires? I get that they help set up camber and toe-in/toe-out, but other than that? I'm not being negative here, just confused. I also would like to hear why you guys think a setup station is a good thing. Rather than just saying "I like brand X" could you maybe go a little more into detail?
You get repeatable and reliable measurements of camber, caster and toe, which is an absolute necessity if you are serious about setup and tuning.

Try measuring your camber with your camber gauge, rotate the wheel a 1/4 of a revolution and then measure again……..unfortunately your result will vary with this method.

With the setup station and 20mm support blocks you know you will get repeatable and reliable results each and every time

It's all about how serious you are about your racing……..for an occasional club racer it might be better spending the money on tires and track fees…..but for a serious racer with ambitions of improving every part of his or hers racing campaign it can be crucial

We use the Hudy setup stations for 1/10 buggy, 1/8 buggy, 1/10 touring car and 1/12 track.

Bent
Slashripper likes this.

Last edited by BentKa; 12-25-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hudy is the best by far. I have the integy one, it works great but there's a little slop in it. Once you figure out how to compensate for that it's great. The toe isthe only place it's really apparent.

Any setup station makes life 10x easier! Use to take me a hr to completely setup a car from scratch, now it's 15-20 min tops.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

I've owned the hudy and maybe I got a defective one but it seemed it was only good for setting accurate toe. I sold it for a loss and picked up a set of the de setup wheels. And a camber gauge works just fine at a fraction of the cost. Just set toe by eye and sub trim now
Old 12-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Kbmoss
Hudy is the best by far. I have the integy one, it works great but there's a little slop in it. Once you figure out how to compensate for that it's great. The toe isthe only place it's really apparent.

Any setup station makes life 10x easier! Use to take me a hr to completely setup a car from scratch, now it's 15-20 min tops.
I have been looking into getting a setup station myself. It is the only thing I lack to have that perfect setup. The integy one seemed to be a pretty fair deal because of the adapter system. It especially appeals to me because I would be using it for 1/10 SC and 2wd buggy now, but definitely plan on adding an 1/8 buggy by the summer if I am still taking it seriously. Would the integy system work on all 3 of these vehicles, and where exactly is the slop at? Or is it worth it to buy 2 separate hudy systems to perfect my setup?
Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BentKa
Hudy Universal Exclusive Set-Up System For 1/10 Off-Road Cars #108905

The set also includes the Hudy Setup Book for Offroad.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...1&kategoria=64

Also get the Hudy Chassis Droop Gauge Support Blocks 20mm for 1/8 - LW(2) to use under the car to get repeatable measuring results.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...2&kategoria=64

Bent
I really wanted to use Amazon because I have quite a few credits there and a gift card credit as well. They only have this Hudy system:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Excl...rds=Hudy+setup

Can I use this for 1/10 off-road?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by likea45
I really wanted to use Amazon because I have quite a few credits there and a gift card credit as well. They only have this Hudy system:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Excl...rds=Hudy+setup

Can I use this for 1/10 off-road?
+1 For the Hudy System, but you have to take the time to read and use it correctly.

To answer your specific question, the link you posted from Amazon is for the 1/10th scale onroad version, not the offroad version. Looks like the differences between the two is the manual that comes with it (onroad vs. offroad set up guide) and the acrylic top measuring plate is different, specific for onroad vs. offroad vehicles.

I'd recommend not getting the onroad version if you are planning on using it for offroad vehicles. But if you are in a pinch you could get the onroad version and buy the offroad top plate http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...&kategoria=381 and probably be just fine.

I am also considering getting the DE Racing setup system to use at the track in a pinch as well. http://www.deracing.net/store/index....product_id=474

Hope this helps!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DSK901
I have been looking into getting a setup station myself. It is the only thing I lack to have that perfect setup. The integy one seemed to be a pretty fair deal because of the adapter system. It especially appeals to me because I would be using it for 1/10 SC and 2wd buggy now, but definitely plan on adding an 1/8 buggy by the summer if I am still taking it seriously. Would the integy system work on all 3 of these vehicles, and where exactly is the slop at? Or is it worth it to buy 2 separate hudy systems to perfect my setup?
The slop is where the adapters go threw bearings on the uprights.

I actually only use 2 adapters and that's bc my tekno has a larger hub size. Everything else I use 4mm which is standard nowadays in 1/10. It works on just about any car, just need the adapters to screw on.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bedwell1
I've owned the hudy and maybe I got a defective one but it seemed it was only good for setting accurate toe. I sold it for a loss and picked up a set of the de setup wheels. And a camber gauge works just fine at a fraction of the cost. Just set toe by eye and sub trim now
Did you have the blocks that go under the chassis?
Slashripper likes this.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

Before when I was into onroad I have different sets of Hudy setup systems for different types of cars, so when I made the leap to 1/8 ebuggies I wanted to get one but there was no stock of the Hudy set anywhere so i got a set of Arrowmax. When using the setup system, one thing i notice is that camber setting seems to be off ie on the system it showed -2 degree with the tires on looks like positive camber, and by the use of a camber gauge i found the wheels were off at least by 2 degrees difference. No matter how I try the difference still there. To alleviate any doubt I also ordered a Hudy set, and the same difference persisted. I asked around the track and the consensus is that no one uses setup system at my track because they too experienced the same like I do, and they recommended wheel disc with camber gauge, and thus i have been using these ever since.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bedwell1
This is user error and nothing else……sorry.

Never ever heard of a "defective" setup station for the last decade and almost every serious racer at the biggest offroad races use on and 99% of the onroad racers do.

Originally Posted by blackshark3
Before when I was into onroad I have different sets of Hudy setup systems for different types of cars, so when I made the leap to 1/8 ebuggies I wanted to get one but there was no stock of the Hudy set anywhere so i got a set of Arrowmax. When using the setup system, one thing i notice is that camber setting seems to be off ie on the system it showed -2 degree with the tires on looks like positive camber, and by the use of a camber gauge i found the wheels were off at least by 2 degrees difference. No matter how I try the difference still there. To alleviate any doubt I also ordered a Hudy set, and the same difference persisted. I asked around the track and the consensus is that no one uses setup system at my track because they too experienced the same like I do, and they recommended wheel disc with camber gauge, and thus i have been using these ever since.
This is a common mistake done by people not understanding the concept or having the correct equipment.

You HAVE to use blocks under to get the correct ride height when measuring.

If not you will always chase repeatable results.

The setup station when used with the correct blocks will ALWAYS give you the same correct measurement.

Your camber gauge and setup wheels will not.

Been using setup systems for the last decade for all the classes we run (1/10 buggy, 1/8 buggy, 1/10 Touring car and 1/12 track) and never use a camber gauge anymore.

We always get repeatable accurate measurements each and every time.

For the serious racer the setup system is a very desirable tool for good reasons.

Bent
Slashripper likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.