R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 2wd buggy?

Wondering what opinions you guys have on the new buggy's being released. What would you recommend? I will be running carpet oval in the winter and outdoor dirt in the summer. thanks
traxxas 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

how much "dirt" is the track? by that I mean are we talking like old school loose stuff?

A lot of the vehicles seem to come in two configurations these days for high traction versus lower traction. You may find benefit for a vehicle that can do both out of the box or close enough.

The xray XB2 in the "dirt" configuration on paper looks like it could do some double duty going from low to higher traction in one package.

For me, I still use the DEX210 for indoor carpet when I can and then swap it over for dirt running. Its nice to have all that in one package and the vehicle works well for my needs on the cheap.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Any of the current mid-motor buggies should serve your needs pretty well. Setups are well developed enough that they work really well on average traction off-road and they should be the superior configuration on carpet oval. There are "carpet specific" 2wd buggies but they probably lose more on dirt then they gain on carpet.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
a1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you can convert the b5m to rear motor for about 60 bucks i believe .This kit allows you to convert your mid-motor RC10B5M 1/10 scale buggy to the RC10B5 rear-motor variety. Take full advantage of rear-motor benefits without having to purchase an additional vehicle!
a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Parts support at your track or LHS may help define what to run. Can't go wrong with Associated b5m. as noted, you could convert to a rear motor if the summer conditions are very loose.
hsp-sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love the b5m and AE stuff. However if your going to be converting from mid to rear motor there are several other chassis options that I feel would be better. There are several kits now that come with both configurations, without having to buy any extra parts. I do feel also, if your running 2 completely different surfaces in which changing from mid to rear motor is needed, you should invest in 2 different cars. Even if your swapping the electronics back and forth.
racesanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

See what everyone else is running. That's the easiest. The parts will be there and you can ask for direct set up help
racesanything is offline   Reply With Quote