Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Dad to the hobby with ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Dad to the hobby with ???'s

Okay, first post, have searched with no luck. I'm a clueless dad with two boys that I am fixing to buy a couple ARRMA entry level trucks. The VORTEKS and RAIDER MEGA's. They are RTR's but I was thinking of buying extra batteries and decided if I'm gonna do that I might as well upgrade to LiPo's. So here is the question. Which charger to go with and is there anything else I should consider ordering from Tower when I purchase these? Thanks in advance and feel free to post link to this info if its already out there.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Welcome to the hobby. Better get 3 trucks. You'll want one 2 play before it's over.second I'd go to valuehobby.Com for the lipos.great batteries for great prices. And as far as a charger is get one that at least does 2 batteries at a time. Venom has a couple as well as many others. If you want it ac make sure it says it. If not you'll need a power supply. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bucshot
Okay, first post, have searched with no luck. I'm a clueless dad with two boys that I am fixing to buy a couple ARRMA entry level trucks. The VORTEKS and RAIDER MEGA's. They are RTR's but I was thinking of buying extra batteries and decided if I'm gonna do that I might as well upgrade to LiPo's. So here is the question. Which charger to go with and is there anything else I should consider ordering from Tower when I purchase these? Thanks in advance and feel free to post link to this info if its already out there.
Well, here is a good question for you first... Are you going to get the Arrama's cuz they are a cheaper option? You may need to consider what the local hobby shop carries as far as parts. It would be a major down side if you bought a vehicle where the only place you could get parts is thru the mail...

Second, since you are new to the hobby and LiPo's, I would suggest a simple AC/DC charger. The plug and play ones are ok and will work, but take longer than some of the others. It sucks to have fun for 15-20 minutes then wait for an hour plus to do it again. I would suggest the Venom Pro 2 charger. Not to cheap, not to expensive and covers a wide range battery types and is very easy to use. A good charger will help extend the life of your batteries so be careful not to go too cheap if you so choose.

For extra batteries, I would look at a SMC racing. ( www.smcracing.com ) Probably the best batteries for just about anyone from newbie or pro level racing at awesome prices.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Defiantly check out smcracing.net for batteries. You simply cannot beat them. If your looking for a fairly inexpensive charger...the duratrax onyx are decent. It's what I started with till I got heavy into racing
Old 12-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Get a dual charger or quad charger, charging one at a time isn't good enough with 2+ trucks.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bucshot
as noted - smc for the batteries. I would personally get a hitec x4 ac charger - 4 port charger with ac. I have run the x4 that needs the power supply (ebay hp server power supply converted to 4mm bullets - $50) for 4 years trouble free, charging car, boat, heli packs.

I have two boys, we love rc and rocketery. build ramps for them to learn to fly their trucks. my 6 year old is driving 2wd buggy and learning to hit the brake once leaving the ramp to fly the car wing-high. pretty sweet.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks so much for all the input so far. I definitely like the idea of being able to charge 2 or 4 batteries at a time. What would be a good charger to go with without breaking the bank. I don't mind paying for a good charger and batteries but I do not want to go full pro race style right off the bat. Local shops inventories are low on decent trucks so I am buying online without much good phone advice. I hate to chat up the local shops just to purchase online so I am at your mercy gentlemen and ladies.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just remember with lipos you don't want to run them completely dead ( witch most kids will do ) . It can ruin the battery or even start on fire. Check to see if the esc in the trucks have a lipo cut off. If not make sure you teach your kids to stop running as soon as the truck starts to slow down. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

another option that offers warranties up to one year on batteries is promatch racing. Very high quality stuff for a reasonable price.

Assuming you stick with 2S lipos, in general most chargers will do the job. The big thing is if you find you want higher voltage batteries or charge at a higher rate. Wattage of the charger comes into play. I personally would look for chargers who do about 80W per channel at a minimum.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I would go with the traxxas slash good parts available and pretty fought and parts are cheap..Battery value hobby 18.99 for 2cell pack great for kids starting out and go with hitec ac/dc 4 charger can do 4 packs at once..Thats what I basically set my friend and his son up with except whent with onyx dual charger.. Smc batteries are what i run but i only race..best of luck and have fun,,yea and get the third truck for you..lol

p.s. former hobby shop owner.also getting my kids into it too i bought them 2 slashes.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Man I need spell check!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

The MEGA series have lipo ready ESC's, so no worries there. As others have said I'd order some SMC batteries. As for the charger I'd go ahead and add this to your Tower order

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZZS&P=0

Don't forget to use the appropriate coupon code for the amount you're spending. It will save you some money. For instance 014DV will save you $71 on a $399 order.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone! Super valuable info here. I was actually going to buy three but the wife looked at me sideways. She doesn't think my 12 year old is going to be into it. We decided if he likes it then I'll buy one but I get his if he doesn't. Probably go with a brushless 4x4 for myself.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

LOL! This is getting comical. Which SMC battery to get? Deans, inboard, which rating? I am assuming Deans.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are starting out in the hobby new you should probably buy from a local hobby shop if possible. That way they can help you out if you have any issues. You are going to have issues and not know what to do and depend on a local shop for parts and fixes to the vehicles. And you are helping a local business out as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.