R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Vintage Tamiya Dyna Storm build & upgrade

I had been taking some nice photos of this Tamiya Dyna Storm rebuild & upgrade and figured I would share them with everyone here.

For those that are not aware, I believe this car was originally released in 1992 by Tamiya. It was developed as a commercial version of the never-released-for-sale TRF211X prototype buggy Tamiya pro drivers had been racing all over the world.

My car is a 2002 re-release version I built in 2005 that had years of abuse aon the local dirt tracks and whatever dirt lots I could find to run it. These days parts are incredibly scarce (and expensive) so I finally decided to give it the royal treatment and retire it to the shelf. One of the really neat features of this car was Tamiya's unique multi-plate slipper clutch. It contained 4 pressure plates and 3 frp clutch discs inside. Not the lightest thing in the world, but still pretty cool for 1992.

Here is how it looked when I originally built it back 2005:

First order of business is the gear box. All gears were cleaned to like new condition, and I added vintage NOS Tamiya hop-up rubber sealed ball bearings sourced from Japan and Singapore. Diff rings were sanded smooth and new 3mm steel balls were installed. I'm still waiting for the NOS Tamiya Tungsten balls in the mail. Since these photos were taken, The steel screws holding the spur gear on were replaced by old Tamiya Titanium Phillips screws:

Clutch assembly detail:
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Up next is the Chassis. Here we see the optional carbon chassis plates assembled with new plastics and the old Tamiya titanium phillips/JIS screws. Also visible are the sealed bearings in the tops of the gearbox. These images remind me of a black star destroyer. I think Darth Vader would give this a thumbs up.

Interesting note: Each of these carbon plates has a "C" stamped into it on one side. I've installed the rear upper deck with it facing up for the photographs. I don't remember seeing this mark on any of the Avante carbon chassis plates I assembled back in 2000. Pretty neat.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Here's the front suspension assembly. Mostly new plastics and new titanium screws. I really LOVE the Dyna Storm suspension arms. I think they are one of the most uniquely designed parts in the RC industry. You can really tell someone put serious time into them. I wonder if there is some sort of back-story associated with them. Does anyone else get the feeling H. R. Giger was involved? Come on Tamiya.....fess up!

Shocks stripped to bare silver with Easy-Off and a toothbrush. This is very easy, but I definitely suggest you work in short bursts using a timer so they all come out the same color. One of mine looks a bit different.

I Also added titanium coated TRF piston rods that I had in my DB-01 parts bin. The large o-rings on the caps still need to be replaced, but I'm awaiting the final assembly & fill. I noticed stripping the color off the cylinders really highlights any minor scratches in the aluminum. I am contemplating stripping a brand-new set from my stash. We'll see how noticeable they are once the car is fully assembled.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Rear suspension ready to go with the same treatment.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Steering assembly cleaned & rebuilt with sealed bearings. Even rocking the old-school Tamiya servo.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Tech Master

sends me back in 95 when i was looking the tamiya catalog for hours

i then started with a clodbuster !
werner sline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I was a total catalog kid. Wasted many hours daydreaming.

MAN! The Clodbuster must have made quite a 1st impression into RC. What a beast.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Master

good old days
ni-cad batteries, mechanical speedo with contact grease, mabushi sport tuned motors, what a mess...

I had also the tamiya conqueror..... but that was all last millenium where I was actually already grown up ! I had my clodbuster at 18 !!
nowadays, what do kids want at 18 ?
werner sline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Special edition black Star-Dish wheels, sealed bearings & brand new tires ready to go. Rib-spikes for the front and Square Spikes for the rear. Don't leave the cars weight sitting on these bad boys for too long! No foam inside + thin rubber = cracked & collapsed after about a year.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

And here's the rolling chassis fully assembled. New Acto Power 2WD motor (14x2) and RC1400SP battery used.