R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   ROAR battery rule (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/901911-roar-battery-rule.html)

BRSracing 12-01-2015 01:45 PM

ROAR battery rule

Can someone who knows, not speculate if ROAR changed the battery rule. I was under the impression that 10th scale cars had to be able to use a saddle pack or full size pack to be legal. The new xb4 uses shorty and i have seen nothing to suggest it has a option for a full size or saddle pack. The car does say ROAR legal. Just curious.

Callaway 12-01-2015 04:02 PM

Well, all of Jared Tebo's setups in both 2wd and 4wd indicate a shorty battery. ROAR rules section 8.7 says battery for 1/10 scale buggy must be 6 cell max or 2s LiPo. So if you need a ROAR approved battery, any 2s configuration with the ROAR approval from the manufacturer should do.

Just re-read and it sounds like you are actually talking about the car being approved... There's nothing stating what batteries a chassis has to be able to accommodate.

madweazl 12-01-2015 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Callaway (Post 14288463)
Well, all of Jared Tebo's setups in both 2wd and 4wd indicate a shorty battery. ROAR rules section 8.7 says battery for 1/10 scale buggy must be 6 cell max or 2s LiPo. So if you need a ROAR approved battery, any 2s configuration with the ROAR approval from the manufacturer should do.

Just re-read and it sounds like you are actually talking about the car being approved... There's nothing stating what batteries a chassis has to be able to accommodate.

Actually, there is.

All chassis in all electric classes (except those specifically noted) MUST accept batteries up to the maximum dimensions allowed for its application. The legality of a chassis will be determined as presented to technical inspection. Chassis that require a configuration change, and/or a modification to fit a battery of maximum dimensions will not be considered legal, and the racer will be disqualified. Foam blocks/spacers are permitted to secure any size battery in its position, but the aforementioned spacers may never be attached to the chassis. The only exception is 1/8 off-road where it’s common to use two battery packs to achieve the maximum 4S configuration, or to use a single 4S battery, which has a different specification. Only under these circumstances will the fitting of either configuration be considered legal, but the production chassis must still conform to batteries of the maximum allowable dimensions.

oPAULo 12-01-2015 05:53 PM

I don't think you can fit a full size stick pack in a B5M or a 22 3.0.

Dave H 12-01-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by oPAULo (Post 14288613)

Full size saddle packs count. Believe those will fit. Like many 4x4 buggies.

Callaway 12-01-2015 06:23 PM

Don't you love bureaucratic documents? You have to check every section and try to piece together what it says. So combining 8.2.3 with 8.7, does that mean the chassis needs to be able to accept 6 cell nimh? When was the last time you saw someone run that in their competition buggy?

Callaway 12-01-2015 06:29 PM

http://www.roarracing.com/blog_post.php?pid=2217&ps=0

This blog post elaborates on 8.2.3

Electronics may also be located within the battery area when "shorty" or smaller legal batteries are used, provided that "permanent" mounts for the aforementioned don't preclude the installation of full size battery or saddle pack of maximum dimensions.

avaldes 12-01-2015 06:30 PM

I don't think Xray, TLR, Associated, Yokomo or Kyosho would invest millions of dollars tooling up a new car to have it fail tech inspection.

Dave H 12-01-2015 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Callaway (Post 14288657)
Don't you love bureaucratic documents? You have to check every section and try to piece together what it says. So combining 8.2.3 with 8.7, does that mean the chassis needs to be able to accept 6 cell nimh? When was the last time you saw someone run that in their competition buggy?

Well at the risk of answering a rhetorical question: No. The key word is "or". That's a cell limit rule, not a pack size rule. But yeah making rules that develop over time is complicated.

BRSracing 12-01-2015 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by oPAULo (Post 14288613)

they accept a saddle pack, which to my knowledge 10th scale cars had to accept either a saddle or full size pack. They may have updated the rule. I was curious about when i saw the new xray which is roar legal.

racesanything 12-13-2015 10:12 PM

I believe its just a matter of time till every new chassis is designed around the shorty. Having a smaller size and lighter weight is always going to be a benefit.

Mason 12-14-2015 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by BRSracing (Post 14288269)
Can someone who knows, not speculate if ROAR changed the battery rule. I was under the impression that 10th scale cars had to be able to use a saddle pack or full size pack to be legal. The new xb4 uses shorty and i have seen nothing to suggest it has a option for a full size or saddle pack. The car does say ROAR legal. Just curious.

Contact your ROAR Region Director about this.

dr_hfuhuhurr 12-14-2015 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by racesanything (Post 14305012)
I believe its just a matter of time till every new chassis is designed around the shorty. Having a smaller size and lighter weight is always going to be a benefit.

And with that new design should probably be a modification to the weight limit in the rules. Same as what happened when we switched from SubC to lipo.

Davidka 12-14-2015 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr (Post 14305240)
And with that new design should probably be a modification to the weight limit in the rules. Same as what happened when we switched from SubC to lipo.

Minimum weights have not changed. They are the same as they have always been.

racesanything 12-15-2015 10:01 PM

I dont think there is a need to lighten the weight rules. Sure cars are lighter, much easier than before. But most chassis now are adding weight as tuning. Making them lighter is just going to cause the car have to weight that much less, to be able to add the weight where u want and balance the car out. Power is much greater so weight isnt as important i dont think