TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am going to try and use the Kyosho 10mm x 12mm shim set, 96647

I haven't yet tried it but will report back after a test fit . . .
Old 01-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I would make sure you have the right compound and style tire before messing with too much suspension.
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
I've got a bad traction rolling problem. Med/high bite clay track, through the middle of a high speed sweeper my car just hooked and tumbles. Letting off the gas helps, but isn't an option as our racing is very competitive and I just loose too much time doing that every lap. Looking for a way to stop the traction rolling without loosing too much entry steering.
Currently running stock shock package except red front springs pink rears (LF)
And the rear camber insert +1 (but have tried that in all 3 locations)
Everything else is box stock
Any and all suggestions are great.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

ITS SHOW US YOUR RIDE WEEK!!!! POST SOME PICS!!!

Love to see this beauty share yours!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RockinTheCasbah
I would make sure you have the right compound and style tire before messing with too much suspension.
Try lengthening rear camber turnbuckles.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Socket
Here's your problem. You must have all 4 corners on the same platform to correctly corner weight a car. What you're doing right now is very far off from any sort of accuracy.

Start reading:

grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/understanding-corner-weights
Originally Posted by RedBMaster
When I run the Trinity lightweight shorty and my old JConcepts finisher body I'm right on the mark. This is with everything else being kit setup.

So, I'd recommend popping in a normal shorty or putting all the stock stuff back on. Also, have you calibrated your scales? Normally those little ones can be be off several grams and need to be calibrated.
Thanks for all the feed back from everyone... I think for now I am going to go with a standard shorty, just to get the weight up closer to 1500g. And when I can get some more scales I will try corner balancing as suggested by Socket (nice article btw).
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rekim
i installed the gear diff, and it is definitely not spinning freely. i read on this thread there is a spacer i can use from the tuning bad to make it work?

what spacer is it? what does it look like? i am finished building the kit except for that
There is not a spacer for the gear diff included in the kit. You will need to use a 10x15x.5 spacer on the flat side of the gear diff "the side with the screws". I bought mine here
http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html
Old 01-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
There is not a spacer for the gear diff included in the kit. You will need to use a 10x15x.5 spacer on the flat side of the gear diff "the side with the screws". I bought mine here
http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html

thanks. i might have something like that from another kit. i will have to look. i really appreciate the link
Old 01-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing

Here's mine

Can't wait till the snow is gone!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing

Here's mine along with the 22-4 I just finished up and put on the track yesterday!

http://imgur.com/a/LnWaz for glorious high resolution pictures

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

This is my new rig. And one I built and painted for my friend.I run at amain.com's outback raceway in chico ca. I was the first in our club to start running it a few weeks back and it's been fantastic so far, ive also built two for friends now as well and both they and i are much faster and more consistent in the 22 3.0 compared to our previous buggies. We are all turning a lot of heads with the on track ability of the car as well as the overall quality of the vehicle itself. Build quality was great, everything went together as it should and I am already impatiently awaiting the release of the 22T 3.0 whenever that may be

Last edited by BIG RE; 01-16-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are the aluminum, standard-width rear hexes (TLR2930) being phased out? I'm interested in picking some up but nobody actually seems to have any in-stock.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I picked some up from my lhs. They had a few sets. Any of your guys tried the 4 gear tranny yet?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Body fin

I've seen some racers running the body fin on the stock 3.0 body. Just curious to the advantages or disadvantages on running the fin?. I haven't mounted mine to the body yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

GREAT LOOKING RIDES.... THANKS FOR SHARING!

Originally Posted by Shaun B22
Here's mine

Can't wait till the snow is gone!
Originally Posted by b1narych0ice
Here's mine along with the 22-4 I just finished up and put on the track yesterday!

http://imgur.com/a/LnWaz for glorious high resolution pictures
Originally Posted by BIG RE
This is my new rig. And one I built and painted for my friend.I run at amain.com's outback raceway in chico ca. I was the first in our club to start running it a few weeks back and it's been fantastic so far, ive also built two for friends now as well and both they and i are much faster and more consistent in the 22 3.0 compared to our previous buggies. We are all turning a lot of heads with the on track ability of the car as well as the overall quality of the vehicle itself. Build quality was great, everything went together as it should and I am already impatiently awaiting the release of the 22T 3.0 whenever that may be
Old 01-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I ran for a few weeks without it then installed it last week, what I noticed was that it fixed my issue of getting squirly coming off the straightaway and into our full speed sweeper, seemed a lot more composed and locked in at full speed which allowed me to push harder through that section. I also noticed it in our negative camber 90 degree left hand turn where I had been prone to traction rolling and a general feeling of edginess before. The fin calmed that feeling down slightly, I would say it isnt a dramatic difference you will notice everywhere on the track but if you benefit from it even twice a lap like I am it makes it well worth the installation, I didnt notice any negatives either
Originally Posted by RB5SP
I've seen some racers running the body fin on the stock 3.0 body. Just curious to the advantages or disadvantages on running the fin?. I haven't mounted mine to the body yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.