TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Guys, I just wanted to take a minute and thank Frank Root and you all for all the help with this new car. Last night, we went to practice and my car was just still not right. I even went as far as to replace some components in the steering wheel in my radio as the wheel was slightly wobbly (I've used this radio A LOT and just happen to have some new parts laying around just for this) and I think this did help but the main thing that it was, and I am totally embarrassed at the fact, was front tires. For some reason, I got stuck on using this one set of front tires and never even paid any attention to them or thought about making a change, until last night. Sometimes, you know the answer, but it's hiding right under your nose! Made the swap and oh what a difference! I actually picked up 2.3 seconds average per lap by doing this and am very close to being in step with everyone elses' lap times. Now to get those times even lower. Thanks again to everyone, I think I can take it from here, I think, lol!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onadcr74
Guys, I just wanted to take a minute and thank Frank Root and you all for all the help with this new car. Last night, we went to practice and my car was just still not right. I even went as far as to replace some components in the steering wheel in my radio as the wheel was slightly wobbly (I've used this radio A LOT and just happen to have some new parts laying around just for this) and I think this did help but the main thing that it was, and I am totally embarrassed at the fact, was front tires. For some reason, I got stuck on using this one set of front tires and never even paid any attention to them or thought about making a change, until last night. Sometimes, you know the answer, but it's hiding right under your nose! Made the swap and oh what a difference! I actually picked up 2.3 seconds average per lap by doing this and am very close to being in step with everyone elses' lap times. Now to get those times even lower. Thanks again to everyone, I think I can take it from here, I think, lol!

Glad you found it! When someone asks me to take a look at their car, the first thing I look at is the tires, and I feel the foam. This is too often the one thing overlooked even though it is probably the most important
Old 01-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? TLR 22 3.0 with 13.5T Motor

Any one running with a 13.5T motor?

I was wondering what gearing could be used. I know the manual specifies the 70 spur with a 25 pinion, but that would require going with the old slipper pads.

It seems that it would be possible to use the 76 spur with a 27 pinion, since it would have a similar external drive ratio (70/25 = 2.800 vs. 76/27 = 2.815).

Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJPod
Any one running with a 13.5T motor?

I was wondering what gearing could be used. I know the manual specifies the 70 spur with a 25 pinion, but that would require going with the old slipper pads.

It seems that it would be possible to use the 76 spur with a 27 pinion, since it would have a similar external drive ratio (70/25 = 2.800 vs. 76/27 = 2.815).

Any thoughts?
Would be the same gearing, motor placement would be the only difference. We usually try to gear to keep the motor closer to the diff gear, but you'll probably be fine with the 76 spur.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What are you guys doing with your antenna? If you're not running an antenna tube through the body, how/where do you secure the antenna?
Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use the heavy duty velcro and put it on the side of my receiver, then weave the wire back and forth through the velcro to hold it to the receiver.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I melt a 90* bend in my antenna tubes so that the antenna stays under the body.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I melt a 90* bend in my antenna tubes so that the antenna stays under the body.
Me too.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
What are you guys doing with your antenna? If you're not running an antenna tube through the body, how/where do you secure the antenna?
Using spektrum receiver I just coil it up on top of the receiver and leave it there. No range issues at all. of course if you use a coax antenna you can't do this.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Would be the same gearing, motor placement would be the only difference. We usually try to gear to keep the motor closer to the diff gear, but you'll probably be fine with the 76 spur.
If you do that, doesn't that give you a different power curve. Even though the ratio is almost the same?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

So I've been running this buggy for the past 2-weeks w/ 17.5t on indoor high bite using slicks. This thing has been on point. I decided to drop a 7.5t into this bad boy today and WOW! It's just as easy to drive mod as it is stock. It did however develop a bit of a push, my guess is because I set this car up for stock racing and not mod. Not a big issue tho, just need to tinker with the set up a bit and she will be on point again. I have ran this buggy and the B5M both in mod and this thing straight out the box just destroys the B5m in so many ways. Good job TLR!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

The antenna fits within the body cabin. Mine is around 2" tall standing straight up. The body is wide enough to house the antenna within the window area without sticking out of the body itself. It just rubs a little bit on the side of the window. The remaining antenna wire is coiled near the receiver.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

i wrap my antenna around a hex wrench... then slide shrink tube over it like in the picture and servo tape it to the side of the rx.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just scaled my car with pucks, shorty, slipper eliminator and ti turnbuckles.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

this is a stupid question, and not specific to this buggy, but how come the wing is clear? i see it on a lot of buggies where the wing is unpainted. Is there a reason for this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.