TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svndayNZ
Frank / anyone that can answer

Can anybody tell me what the suggested shock length is? No mention is made in the manual. They're all the same length which is important but could use others experience
the info i have is 21.5 mm front stroke, and a 31mm rear stroke
Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
the info i have is 21.5 mm front stroke, and a 31mm rear stroke
Legend, thank you
Old 11-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

It may be listed on the setup sheet in back too. They usually have a sheet filled out with the kit setup.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Setup Changes?

OK there are a few that have the 3.0 out there and have raced it or at least tested. When the 22T 2.0 came out it was competitive box stock. Though most have at least added the brass rear pivot and changed the rear shock oil to 27.5. So I would like to hear what kind of setup changes have you made if any to the 22 3.0?

When answering describe track type and condition and tyre choice, please.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RandyJones
It may be listed on the setup sheet in back too. They usually have a sheet filled out with the kit setup.
I checked the manual and the only stroke listed was 22mm for the front The rear stroke was blank
Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
I checked the manual and the only stroke listed was 22mm for the front The rear stroke was blank
A few more new parts on this guy, so the team is still working through their setups.

I know mine was pretty darn good out of the box. I liked changing to 32.5 rear oil, pink rear spring and red front spring for the higher bite OCRC track. Many of the guys are running the kit yellow rear springs, depending on the grip at their track.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank Root
A few more new parts on this guy, so the team is still working through their setups.

I know mine was pretty darn good out of the box. I liked changing to 32.5 rear oil, pink rear spring and red front spring for the higher bite OCRC track. Many of the guys are running the kit yellow rear springs, depending on the grip at their track.
Frank,

By doing what you did on springs and oil, would that give it a ton more steering? We have a high bite track we run clay slicks on and the kit setup had too much steering even for Tyler. Just curious as we are still learning this 1/10 stuff.

Thanks boss!!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
OK there are a few that have the 3.0 out there and have raced it or at least tested. When the 22T 2.0 came out it was competitive box stock. Though most have at least added the brass rear pivot and changed the rear shock oil to 27.5. So I would like to hear what kind of setup changes have you made if any to the 22 3.0?

When answering describe track type and condition and tyre choice, please.
First race: indoor clay, high bite, little bit of rough, clay Dirt Webs slicks
Tyler felt car had too much steering and wanted to go through rough stuff better.
Changes from kit setup: moved front shocks to outer hole on arms to calm steering, moved rear hubs back 1mm and went through rough better. Tq'd and finished 3rd after big wreck.

Second race, indoor clay, medium bite with light dust, pretty smooth, SS Dirt Webs on rear, clay Dirt Webs on front because we didn't have any other compound. Tyler felt car just needed a little more steering since we didn't have right front tire compound.
Changes from kit setup: took 1mm washer from under ball stud on front camber block: Tyler said it was pretty good then. Tq'd and won

We will be running again this weekend at the track we ran first race at again.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:23 PM
TLRacing

Frank,

By doing what you did on springs and oil, would that give it a ton more steering? We have a high bite track we run clay slicks on and the kit setup had too much steering even for Tyler. Just curious as we are still learning this 1/10 stuff.

Thanks boss!!
We haven't found the car to have too much steering with our setups, in fact, we've added some steering.

Shoot me an email and I'll get you dialed in.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Tech Adept

After reading through the thread, I placed a buggy on B/O at Horizon. Everything looks very well done and I look forward to beating some AEs next year.

Frank, I'll be really happy if the stock set up works, our track is a mixture of assorted carpets and grass straits. Has good grip, but really loosens up when moist. (Its outdoors). If not I'll ask plenty questions.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Will do Frank!! Thanks again for all the help you give us racers and dads!!
Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Frank are the gears the same as the other 22's? only reason I'm asking is my first outing with the car I'll be running stock class with it.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

First race: indoor clay, high bite, little bit of rough, clay Dirt Webs slicks
Tyler felt car had too much steering and wanted to go through rough stuff better.
Changes from kit setup: moved front shocks to outer hole on arms to calm steering, moved rear hubs back 1mm and went through rough better. Tq'd and finished 3rd after big wreck.

Second race, indoor clay, medium bite with light dust, pretty smooth, SS Dirt Webs on rear, clay Dirt Webs on front because we didn't have any other compound. Tyler felt car just needed a little more steering since we didn't have right front tire compound.
Changes from kit setup: took 1mm washer from under ball stud on front camber block: Tyler said it was pretty good then. Tq'd and won

We will be running again this weekend at the track we ran first race at again.
Thanks, I will put this in my book for future reference.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frank Root

Thanks, looking forward to getting busy building my own kit.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:10 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by jsrocket13
Frank are the gears the same as the other 22's? only reason I'm asking is my first outing with the car I'll be running stock class with it.
The tranny gears are the same, and the spur gears mount the same. The 3.0 kit comes with a 78T spur.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.