R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree13Likes

Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #4636
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post
Has anybody tried using the 4.0 stiffezel parts on their 3.0? I'd be interested to know if they make much of a difference.

I'm still not sold on the concept of a laydown transmission so I'll be sticking with my 3.0 for the time being.
I just changed the arms and tower also put on the xfactory stiffener on. It feels better there is a noticeable difference in how it jumps and lands. Also I don't know if it was just fresh arms but it pushes a little more in the corners deffentaly happy
topdeadcenter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:26 AM   #4637
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Looking for some ideas on my 3.0 SR

Looking for ideas on how to install a rear sway bar assembly on my 22 3.0 SR. It currently has stiffzel upgrades BUT has an Exotek laydown I really don't want to dump the Exotek due to $$. There lies the problem.
Oldbutlearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #4638
Tech Adept

Default Laydown to standup

Our recently purchased 3.0 had come with the laydown kit fitted. It also came with the standup gearbox, do the two gearboxes use the same idler gear or do I need to get a smaller one for the stand-up configuration?
Pistol123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #4639
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol123 View Post
Our recently purchased 3.0 had come with the laydown kit fitted. It also came with the standup gearbox, do the two gearboxes use the same idler gear or do I need to get a smaller one for the stand-up configuration?
they are different.
Bmans5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #4640
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmans5 View Post
they are different.
Thanks, i thought that might be the case.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #4641
Tech Apprentice

Default What rear toe plate to run?

3.0 sr. Exotek laydown
Turf high bite
What 4.0 rear HRC toe plate to run? Regular or -2*?? And the what pill settings for hrc anti squat and toe plate?

Any help is appreciated
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #4642
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbutlearning View Post
3.0 sr. Exotek laydown
Turf high bite
What 4.0 rear HRC toe plate to run? Regular or -2*?? And the what pill settings for hrc anti squat and toe plate?

Any help is appreciated
On carpet, I run the -2 plate.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #4643
Tech Apprentice

Default Turf. Using hrc and -2 plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
On carpet, I run the -2 plate.
What pill setting. High grip turf. No rear sway
Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #4644
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbutlearning View Post
What pill setting. High grip turf. No rear sway
4 deg pills, so 2 deg toe.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #4645
Tech Adept

Had the First night out of our indoor season.
Did extremely well, Got all the way to the A-main...was second to last in the A-main, but I got there and considering most driver there had MUCH more experience than I did I was more than happy to run my speed and let them pass me...which was a few times

Loved my setup, only issue I found was a bit of traction roll by the B-mains, but
I think I over did the Traction wash and pushed a bit beyond my own skill level.

My question is does anyone else find the laydown Motor plate heavily limits your gear setup? I was running 69/29. I want to gear slightly different next race, say 69/30 or 69/31 and I don't think I can pull it off as I can't shift the motor all that much. My option is to mill the plate mounts slightly but even then the water fall will limit how far the motor moves.

NRC :: Indoor Opener :: 2wd Stock Buggy A-Main :: LiveRC
Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #4646
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmans5 View Post
Had the First night out of our indoor season.
Did extremely well, Got all the way to the A-main...was second to last in the A-main, but I got there and considering most driver there had MUCH more experience than I did I was more than happy to run my speed and let them pass me...which was a few times

Loved my setup, only issue I found was a bit of traction roll by the B-mains, but
I think I over did the Traction wash and pushed a bit beyond my own skill level.

My question is does anyone else find the laydown Motor plate heavily limits your gear setup? I was running 69/29. I want to gear slightly different next race, say 69/30 or 69/31 and I don't think I can pull it off as I can't shift the motor all that much. My option is to mill the plate mounts slightly but even then the water fall will limit how far the motor moves.

NRC :: Indoor Opener :: 2wd Stock Buggy A-Main :: LiveRC
Yes I noticed this when setting up my son's 3.0 laydown. He is running mod but is limited to a 24 tooth pinion on the 78 spur. Obviously we can lower the spur but I was suprised when comparing to the 4.0 not much room to run large pinions at all.

Can you go smaller on the spur or advance the timing? Sorry don't know much about stock racing.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #4647
Tech Adept

motor is a MC2 Motiv, already set to it's optimum per the sheet it came with (at least to my understanding) so resistant to messing with timing. I really have nothing to complain about, thing monsters on acceleration, I swear in a straight line drag race it is pulling WAY fast than some of the other motors out there.
I think I can get close to optimal gearing without milling but still a bit of a pain.
suspect a 4.0 might be in my future....course may wait, a 5.0 may come out next spring
Old 10-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #4648
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
4 deg pills, so 2 deg toe.
Thanks Frank, We all appreciate your involvement with the group.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #4649
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Just purchased a nib tlr 22 3.0

Hello, just getting back into club racing. Just purchased a nib tlr 22 3.0 and my question is does anyone know if the 22 4.0 complete rear wing mount will bolt up to the 22 3.0 without modification? Thanks for the info
jamsandolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #4650
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsandolina View Post
Hello, just getting back into club racing. Just purchased a nib tlr 22 3.0 and my question is does anyone know if the 22 4.0 complete rear wing mount will bolt up to the 22 3.0 without modification? Thanks for the info
It will.