TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
This will sound like a fanboy rant, but I don't think TLR really gets enough credit for what they do. Go back to 2010-2011 and look at the landscape of rc.....the 22 is released with an aluminum chassis, big bore shocks, compact steering arrangement, option for mid-motor placement, and beefy oversized suspension components.

At the time, most of the competition was still running rear motor only cars with molded chassis and smaller shocks. Granted, maybe some of the ideas weren't completely new, but TLR was forward thinking enough to package it all together. Now look at the landscape, almost every car out there shares the same features in one way or another. So whether it's new releases, conversion kits, or revised parts it's all good - keep up the good work TLR. Fanboy rant over.

TOTALLY AGREE!! I would also add they timing of the 3.0 was just bad nothing they could control. Who knew the laydowns were about to change the scene again. Im still running a stand up car and it is good enough for my skill! Still think its is one of the best kits on the market. I honestly think most average people would be fine with a stand up car but the laydown stuff is like crack right now.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjdoyle
TOTALLY AGREE!! I would also add they timing of the 3.0 was just bad nothing they could control. Who knew the laydowns were about to change the scene again. Im still running a stand up car and it is good enough for my skill! Still think its is one of the best kits on the market. I honestly think most average people would be fine with a stand up car but the laydown stuff is like crack right now.
Yes, I think the majority of us out there at the club level really can't capitalize on laydown and may actually be better off with the stand up. The only situation where us average drivers get huge benefit from laydown is on carpet with pin tires. And the original 3.0 laydown is probably even better than other brands because the transmission height and hubs were altered to maintain correct suspension geometry at low ride height. (That being said, there are some fast Xrays at my local carpet track, but what do you expect?)

That being said, the regular podium finishers would still podium with a stand up. In fact, some of them do run B5m or RB6... even with stand up and some with 4 gear! Yeah, they'd be a bit faster with a proper carpet buggy, but consistent driving is worth more.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any chance of a thicker laydown body? Our track is pretty rough and mine hasn't held up that well
Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

We made the mistake of switching to another brand last year and having ran TLR cars for almost 6 years before that, it was an eye opening mistake switching. Like we told a ton of people we switched for personal reasons and definitely not because we didn't like the TLR cars! The amount of money to make and maintain the other cars to stay competitive was crazy!! There's a reason the so many people have to make upgrades for those cars!! TLR kits are dang near perfect out of the box on all aspects!! We are so happy to be back with TLR and great teammates!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Its always fun to watch Tyler and Collin compete. They are the fastest kids in the midwest and by far the most well mannered. I was talking to Scott Cramer and he said hes excited for them to be on the team.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've been searching this thread and will still keep doing so, but i just got a used but almost brand new 22 3.0 with the dirt laydown. I was wondering what all spares do you guys recommend having with you. Our track has an ok supply but i want to make sure i have the basics in my box. thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCJer
I've been searching this thread and will still keep doing so, but i just got a used but almost brand new 22 3.0 with the dirt laydown. I was wondering what all spares do you guys recommend having with you. Our track has an ok supply but i want to make sure i have the basics in my box. thanks!
I have a ton of parts because my local track does not have a shop. But I'd start with arms, front and rear, and the front c-hubs. That's all I've broken. Racing on carpet. Oh, I had a freak accident and broke the front tower, but that's after a year of racing on a carpet-covered concrete floor with 1/2" plywood ramps. I'm trying to say that there is no give on our track!

Oh, I also think the 22 series hardware kit is a good idea. Love having a smattering of screws and misc. hardware for the buggy.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I see Dakota's CRCRC setup for the 22-4 2.0. Don't see the 22 3.0. Any chance that's available to post Frank?

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Those setups are very close to what he ran at CRCRC, which are already posted.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
I have a ton of parts because my local track does not have a shop. But I'd start with arms, front and rear, and the front c-hubs. That's all I've broken. Racing on carpet. Oh, I had a freak accident and broke the front tower, but that's after a year of racing on a carpet-covered concrete floor with 1/2" plywood ramps. I'm trying to say that there is no give on our track!

Oh, I also think the 22 series hardware kit is a good idea. Love having a smattering of screws and misc. hardware for the buggy.
Awesome thanks!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OriginalDonk
I see Dakota's CRCRC setup for the 22-4 2.0. Don't see the 22 3.0. Any chance that's available to post Frank?
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/losi/s...CRC2017010608/
Old 01-29-2017, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thank you.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,

I hope you guys can help me out. I recently acquired from a good buddy at the track whom is one of the last people besides myself to run Losi. He gave me the motor plate and diff case for the laydown tranny, as well as the aluminum rear hubs.

I've looked over the kit a lot and know there are several things I am going to need. He also did give me 2 of the 3 plastic cylinder pieces (unsure of what they are called) I'll ask if he has the third this Wed. on club night.

I know that the CF battery hold down and hardware for that is needed, as well as the motor plate bracket piece? is needed. I think I heard him mention I would need to get a different topshaft? and the bracket for the tranny case to attach to the rear tower. I can get the aluminum idler online so that isn't an issue it's the other smaller pieces.

Can anyone please let me know how I can get these pieces without buying the whole LD kit. I don't need a body, wing, or chassis. Part numbers would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by johnny44
Hi All,

I hope you guys can help me out. I recently acquired from a good buddy at the track whom is one of the last people besides myself to run Losi. He gave me the motor plate and diff case for the laydown tranny, as well as the aluminum rear hubs.

I've looked over the kit a lot and know there are several things I am going to need. He also did give me 2 of the 3 plastic cylinder pieces (unsure of what they are called) I'll ask if he has the third this Wed. on club night.

I know that the CF battery hold down and hardware for that is needed, as well as the motor plate bracket piece? is needed. I think I heard him mention I would need to get a different topshaft? and the bracket for the tranny case to attach to the rear tower. I can get the aluminum idler online so that isn't an issue it's the other smaller pieces.

Can anyone please let me know how I can get these pieces without buying the whole LD kit. I don't need a body, wing, or chassis. Part numbers would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Part numbers are listed in the manual on the tlr website see link below

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Files/TLR338004-Manual-Multi.pdf
Old 01-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by daz_75
Part numbers are listed in the manual on the tlr website see link below

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual-Multi.pdf
Thanks for the link. I already looked there and at the manual. Considering I don't have the race spec 3.0 I looked online, besides being a software engineer I'm very good with searching.

Now, there are part that are listed in that manual that return no results. (TLR236006 & TLR338004) It seems the later of the two part numbers is now 338005. However, that is the entire kit.

TLR332060 is the laydown diff case without the motor plate, which I have both of those. and I'll try and track down that third plastic piece.

So, how do I get the parts that all share the same part number TLR338005 now? (carbon-fiber battery strap with aluminum mount, motor plate to chassis brace, there is another aluminum piece that goes between the tower and diff case).
Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

I believe the 338004 is the complete carpet conversion, and the 005 is the conversion without the rear hubs? So correct me if I am wrong, but have you tried contacting TLR or even Frank Root on this thread, that would be in my opinion a lot easier if them parts are even available, but I would think they are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.