R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree13Likes

Old 12-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #3991
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Can anyone confirm the ball and pin size in the dog bones to fit the new spec diff? Looking at it and given bearing size is same for the diff I am guessing ball that fits into diff output hasn't changed and just has a larger pin to spread load a bit on the plastic out drive?

Am looking to fit this diff into another car so need to know pin size so I can find pins and drills to adapt my driveshafts to fit.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Marman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #3992
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WHOOT!! my spec showed up today!!!!
Cracked it open and took a look through it and can't wait to get building it...but it is currently hiding till x-mas morning.
Bmans5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #3993
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi Chaser View Post
you will need the aluminum servo mounts. TLR331019
I have the aluminum mount. I would love a picture. It doesn't clear for me.
TimmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #3994
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
I have the aluminum mount. I would love a picture. It doesn't clear for me.
You have to modify the upper deck for it to clear. Mount the ball stud on the front of the horn, modify the deck for the horn to clear. Or just forget it and realize it's probably only worth 0.001 seconds per lap in the right hands ;-)
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #3995
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
You have to modify the upper deck for it to clear. Mount the ball stud on the front of the horn, modify the deck for the horn to clear. Or just forget it and realize it's probably only worth 0.001 seconds per lap in the right hands ;-)
I just switched to the laydown and I feel like there is too much weight towards the front. I was hoping that sliding the servo back behind the brace would give me more balance without doing anything drastic. I see your point.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #3996
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have a couple questions, I won a SR at a local tracks raffle, I was wondering two things:

Has anyone, or does anyone know someone that has built it with the laydown tranny in it? Also, are people using the Stiffezel side guards?

Thank you very much in advance......

Edit** I noticed the stiffezel side guards come stock in the kit. Still wondering about the lay down though and how anyone feels the inners from the spec racer tranny will work in the lay down tranny. With the diff gear being cut smaller

Last edited by Medicinal Coma; 12-27-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Medicinal Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #3997
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marman View Post
Can anyone confirm the ball and pin size in the dog bones to fit the new spec diff? Looking at it and given bearing size is same for the diff I am guessing ball that fits into diff output hasn't changed and just has a larger pin to spread load a bit on the plastic out drive?

Am looking to fit this diff into another car so need to know pin size so I can find pins and drills to adapt my driveshafts to fit.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
I don't have mine handy to give you a measurement but the ball on the SR driveshaft is noticeably smaller. While the bearing size is the same, the composite outdrives are thicker and hence have a smaller inside diameter.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #3998
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
I just switched to the laydown and I feel like there is too much weight towards the front. I was hoping that sliding the servo back behind the brace would give me more balance without doing anything drastic. I see your point.
When you say there's too much weight toward the front, what specifically is the car doing that you don't like? Is it the behavior through the turns or when in the air?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #3999
Tech Apprentice

Question:

How well should the car roll when you let off the throttle (in neutral)?

I'm in the process of setting up the diff tension and slipper. When I let off the throttle in my house (so not at a high rate of speed) It slows down pretty quickly.

Are there sounds I should be listening for?

I did watch the youtube videos by the FT drivers on how to set both of those.

Thanks
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #4000
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

If your pinion/spur mesh is set correctly, the car should coast quite far. If that adjustment is good and the car stops abruptly, check your radio and speed control settings. You could have some electronic braking (drag brake, throttle trim set off center to braking side, etc.).

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #4001
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
Question:

How well should the car roll when you let off the throttle (in neutral)?

I'm in the process of setting up the diff tension and slipper. When I let off the throttle in my house (so not at a high rate of speed) It slows down pretty quickly.

Are there sounds I should be listening for?

I did watch the youtube videos by the FT drivers on how to set both of those.

Thanks
Doesn't sound like a diff/slipper problem, but either something binding in the drivetrain or your drag brake set too high in the ESC. Try removing the pinion gear and make sure the car rolls freely. If it does, then check the drag brake.
tsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #4002
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
If your pinion/spur mesh is set correctly, the car should coast quite far. If that adjustment is good and the car stops abruptly, check your radio and speed control settings. You could have some electronic braking (drag brake, throttle trim set off center to braking side, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post
Doesn't sound like a diff/slipper problem, but either something binding in the drivetrain or your drag brake set too high in the ESC. Try removing the pinion gear and make sure the car rolls freely. If it does, then check the drag brake.
Thank you both. I will check the ESC settings for the drag brake.

Thanks again.

**EDIT**
That was the answer! Great forums and even better thread...

Last edited by johnny44; 12-27-2016 at 03:10 PM.
johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #4003
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
When you say there's too much weight toward the front, what specifically is the car doing that you don't like? Is it the behavior through the turns or when in the air?
Through turns. The rear doesn't square up at exit. I have to really wait to get back on throttle or I'll get loose.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #4004
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Rear toe

I've been looking at some set ups for carpet / Astro and noticed rear toe of .5- 2.0 how are they achieving this? Are there different insert for rear tow?
chrisjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #4005
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjohns View Post
I've been looking at some set ups for carpet / Astro and noticed rear toe of .5- 2.0 how are they achieving this? Are there different insert for rear tow?
There is the -2.0 plate, 3.0 would give you 1, 2.5 would give you .5.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote