TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:34 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
The x-gear (kyosho) springs are really good. They are consistent and last a long time. I think the TLR low frequency springs are good for medium and low bite, but yeah, it looks like no one uses them on high bite. On my home track (carpet) they are definitely out of the picture. Maybe TLR feels there are a lot of good spring choices out there and rather than reinvent the wheel... er, spring... they focus their R&D elsewhere?
None of the springs out there are the best for all surfaces, or all traction levels. Some work better low grip, some high grip, some medium grip, and some carpet.

I don't think you can develop springs that are the best for all of these surface, unless you have multiple lines and spend a LOT of time on it. I'm focusing on new vehicles instead
Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Applesauce
how do you feel this car compares (with the carpet laydown) to the more dedicated carpet cars xray, yok, b6?
I haven't had a chance to drive anything other than my TLR laydown but for what it's worth my track (carpet) has X-Ray, TLR, and AE with at least one of each driven by a very capable driver. They all seem pretty darn fast and trade blows depending on the night.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Eacnh of us have our preferences and I'm glad I don't have to try and keep everyone happy. lol
Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
None of the springs out there are the best for all surfaces, or all traction levels. Some work better low grip, some high grip, some medium grip, and some carpet.

I don't think you can develop springs that are the best for all of these surface, unless you have multiple lines and spend a LOT of time on it. I'm focusing on new vehicles instead
Yeah, that's what I was getting at! I think I'd rather have you all working on the platforms rather than springs anyway... hard to bring something new to the table in the spring market.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Love the hint brick lobbed at the bottom of that post

So kids are counting down to Xmas, dad is too. My Battery, servo, Titanium bits, and spares showed up....now to wait on the vehicle.

I am sure it's well built but I fear my skill but more the lack of skill in the group of drivers I will be starting out (I saw one guy go full throttle on a straight, the wrong way, carnage did of course ensue) which my lead to a broken bit or 2...

I am run 17.5 spec on ozite carpet, small track (we run in a School Gym)...any setups suggested? any must have hopups?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default Slipper eliminator

Does the exotek 22 direct spur mount go straight onto the stock topshaft?
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offroader47
Does the exotek 22 direct spur mount go straight onto the stock topshaft?
Thanks.
That is correct.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Any thoughts on when a complete 22 kit with laydown tranny will be available? Perhaps separate carpet and dirt versions? 22 4.0D and 22 4.0C?
Old 12-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Maybe they could be the innovators of bundling in the RC world

Savings on a package deal, a chassis kit with choice of laydown conversion, dirt or carpet?

Just sayin
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Frank, will the 0.7mm thick lay down body that is included in the dirt lay down conversion be available as a separate part, and if so what might a timeline look like?

A large Wisconsin man stepped on my car and cracked up my second 0.5mm body at the track today, so I will wait on the more durable body to send to the painter if they will be available soon!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Try more front droop, or stiffer front springs.

We made a part better. Not because it was defective before, but because we saw an opportunity to improve it. If we replace every item we'd improved, then following that logic we'd have to give everyone who bought a 22 a 22 2.0, and the 2.0 a 3.0.

As you said, you raced a full month now and it didn't just fall off, it took a hard crash to break it.
Frank Root - I just picked up a new 22 3.0 kit. Will the new kit have the rev B version of part number TLR234057 included? Thanks. I am stoked to build the 3.0!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

I have decided to stick with Losi stuff on offroad, and associated stuff on oval.
I have converted my Losi 2.0 Short Course back to offroad and its staying that way as far as I know.
I like both brands but it seems the team losi racing stuff is better in certain situations.

This buggy by losi is on my wish list. Santa I doubt will bring me one thou....lol
Old 12-23-2016, 01:12 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b1narych0ice
Frank, will the 0.7mm thick lay down body that is included in the dirt lay down conversion be available as a separate part, and if so what might a timeline look like?

A large Wisconsin man stepped on my car and cracked up my second 0.5mm body at the track today, so I will wait on the more durable body to send to the painter if they will be available soon!
No plans at the moment.

Originally Posted by larsif
Frank Root - I just picked up a new 22 3.0 kit. Will the new kit have the rev B version of part number TLR234057 included? Thanks. I am stoked to build the 3.0!
Yes, as long as it hasn't been sitting on shelves for a year.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b1narych0ice

wast me...
Old 12-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Back at it again...

Hi All,

Hope this is the right place for this. I'm not new to forums and have used the search

I am getting back into RC again after a 6 year break. Had a AE T4.1 truggy, Slash 4x4 heavily modified, and still have a AE SC10 4x4.

I wanted to get back into RC and race a buggy, always wanted one. after weeks of research, reading, videos etc... I decided on the TLR 22 3.0RS.

What a great and fun build. Nothing very difficult and the instructions were easy to follow. I did find the youtube videos very helpful in some initial setup.

I'm running a 13.5 Tekin Redline Gen 3, Savox SC-1251mg, Tekin RS spec gen 2, Orion 3800 shorty.

I have the stock spur gear on with a 26 tooth pinion. Any thoughts on that with the set up I am running?

Something I have noticed that has been brought up in this thread is, my rear axles aren't in the outdrives very far? I'm at 22mm ride height.

Seems most guys aren't running the front body pin, the antenna bending trick is great.

All in all, great reading and information. I'll post some pics once I finish painting the body. Thanks for reading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.