R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 12-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #3856
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intense82 View Post
TLR338004 tagged discontinued on amain ??
I'm sure they are repackaging it like the laydown dirt conversion. I'm sure they are going to take out the aluminum hubs and stuff to make the conversion cheaper like the dirt conversion just announced.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #3857
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intense82 View Post
TLR338004 tagged discontinued on amain ??
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiMadMan View Post
I'm sure they are repackaging it like the laydown dirt conversion. I'm sure they are going to take out the aluminum hubs and stuff to make the conversion cheaper like the dirt conversion just announced.
Not repacking anything. Sold out of TLR338004, and now have fresh inventory of TLR338005 coming in.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #3858
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Yes.

Not repacking anything. Sold out of TLR338004, and now have fresh inventory of TLR338005 coming in.

Yes used the wrong words, but that's what I meant. Because it seemed the price was the biggest complaint, I figure that is what the change is for. The chassis with both mounting options also.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #3859
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone run the laydown on carpet with their rear hubs reversed? If so what's the benifit?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #3860
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yes.

I might be missing something here but aren't 338004 and 338005 for different applications? Isn't the first is the carpet/very-high traction laydown with the raised diff and hubs where the latter is the dirt laydown with 'standard' geometry?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #3861
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
I might be missing something here but aren't 338004 and 338005 for different applications? Isn't the first is the carpet/very-high traction laydown with the raised diff and hubs where the latter is the dirt laydown with 'standard' geometry?
338005 is the new dirt lay down kit that's cheaper than the old carpet conversion because it leaves things out like the aluminum hubs. The old carpet conversion is discontinued and there will be a new carpet conversion kit that's cheaper like the new dirt laydown. "This is my theory because I don't think it's been announced yet." Or maybe a carpet specific car . I would have said no to that but with the release of the spec kit maybe. There are a ton of carpet tracks opening up and some tracks that have converted to carpet, so maybe.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #3862
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
Yes, they are for different applications. Based on the "dirt" tranny sales, it's pretty clear which is what people are really after, which is why we've moved on to TLR338005.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #3863
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How long before we see transmissions mounted on some kind of "eccentric ring", allowing you to infinitely adjust the height and angle between the diff and the motor.

VDT: Variable-Dialed-Transmission
tsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #3864
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, they are for different applications. Based on the "dirt" tranny sales, it's pretty clear which is what people are really after, which is why we've moved on to TLR338005.
So there is just not going to be a carpet laydown? Just the gear box I assume?
Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #3865
Tech Addict

Quote:
So there is just not going to be a carpet laydown? Just the gear box I assume?
That's what it sounds like. And really, I think that's easily the right move. I need both laydowns, but I would have preferred doing it this way and having the stand up option on the same chassis. I would have then bought the carpet laydown and hubs as an add on.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #3866
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
That's what it sounds like. And really, I think that's easily the right move. I need both laydowns, but I would have preferred doing it this way and having the stand up option on the same chassis. I would have then bought the carpet laydown and hubs as an add on.
I only race on carpet so it doesn't bother me. I still think the gear boxes are on the high end of the pay scale though. Having the option to switch is always nice
Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #3867
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post
How long before we see transmissions mounted on some kind of "eccentric ring", allowing you to infinitely adjust the height and angle between the diff and the motor.

VDT: Variable-Dialed-Transmission
Schumacher has been doing that for a while.
TimmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #3868
Tech Addict

Quote:
I only race on carpet so it doesn't bother me. I still think the gear boxes are on the high end of the pay scale though. Having the option to switch is always nice
Yeah, the machined delrin is pricy. But it is the best you can get.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #3869
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
Yeah, the machined delrin is pricy. But it is the best you can get.
Yeah I understand that, but why is it needed? All the other kits have come with plastic gear boxes. Does it add an advantage? They have had plenty of time to create a plastic mold for the gearbox. Maybe I just don't understand it's advantages. Weight, strength??
Old 12-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #3870
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Yeah I understand that, but why is it needed? All the other kits have come with plastic gear boxes. Does it add an advantage? They have had plenty of time to create a plastic mold for the gearbox. Maybe I just don't understand it's advantages. Weight, strength??
The machined parts were to fill an immediate need. If you wanted a true molded part it takes a lot of time to get the mold, test it, change the mold, etc etc.

Machine is so much easier, except on an economies of scales that is. While molding plastic is ultimately cheaper once the expensive part is complete (the mold itself) machining is simply having a machine cut it out for you. That takes money, as does the material it is made out of. Add that to the low count of production and you can see where the cost comes from.

Machining something = extremely quick, but expensive.
Molding = much slower, cheaper in the long run.