TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by twindad98
I know you guys will be partial to the 3.0 but I've been thinking about this buggy.
I currently own a b6d with the laydown and I have driven a 3.0 very little.
For those of you that have driven both where do you rate the 3.0 against the b6? I wouldn't put the laydown in it right off (I would have to save some money it's kind of pricey)
Just looking for some experienced advice.
I am in the same boat...I am really stuck between the 22 3.0 and the B6D. Both cars are run at local tracks. This will be my first 2wd offroad buggy build. The 22 3.0 looks like its stock parts and machining seem to be more quality, but everyone is raving about the B6 platform, notwithstanding the fact that people describe it as "cheap and fast", and have branded it as the latest greatest...im going to buy something this weekend, I might as well flip a coin huh?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FreeBandz
I am in the same boat...I am really stuck between the 22 3.0 and the B6D. Both cars are run at local tracks. This will be my first 2wd offroad buggy build. The 22 3.0 looks like its stock parts and machining seem to be more quality, but everyone is raving about the B6 platform, notwithstanding the fact that people describe it as "cheap and fast", and have branded it as the latest greatest...im going to buy something this weekend, I might as well flip a coin huh?
What brand has better local support for you? I had the 3.0 for carpet last winter and it was a great car. Only broke one rear shock tower, and it wasn't the cars fault. You really can't go wrong with either, the associated and the 27$ add on for a lay down is awesome. Laydowns for the 3.0 are a bit more pricey if you ever go that route
Old 11-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just won a 22 3.0 for free in a raffle at a trophy race. It I already own and run the b6/laydown I want to try the 22 3.0 but don't want to invest in the lay down conversion. I feel like testing the 3.0 with the stand up would be a waist of time since no one runs a stand up at my track.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigbenmbx7t
What brand has better local support for you? I had the 3.0 for carpet last winter and it was a great car. Only broke one rear shock tower, and it wasn't the cars fault. You really can't go wrong with either, the associated and the 27$ add on for a lay down is awesome. Laydowns for the 3.0 are a bit more pricey if you ever go that route
Associated and TLR are about equal...
Old 11-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FreeBandz
Associated and TLR are about equal...
Find a couple of good drivers from each brand at the track and see if you can take each for a spin for a few laps. Then, you can decide which one fits you best.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (92%+)

How good is the Kyosho Rb6.6 vs this Losi laydown or the B6d laydown.
I will always be a Losi driver but X-ray xb2 2017 and Kyosho makes it hard to stay loyal
Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just FYI Friday night during our club race the top 2 buggies were 3.0's. 1st place was with a 4 gear and 2nd was with a 3 gear, both were stand up transmissions. Most of the other cars were laydown transmissions. We're on medium/high bite clay.
Both cars were dialed!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I used to be a very active member. I read more now days than participate. I'm compelled to mention all I am running right now is TLR kits. I can't say enough about TLR and the quality of the kits. They take it very serious and produce a high "performance" product. Performance is what counts the most imo. If a glass kit could make you faster and costed the most, I can bet we would buy it. It's called racing but winning is the ultimate goal. In the end you still have pass the man up front. That said... One of the greatest assets with a TLR kit and most take for granite is support. Im not loyal to any manufacturer. I'm a club racer through and through. As a club racer I can post on any TLR thread and get "factory" support. Factory support that has been consistent. The kind you get as a team driver and not just for a period of plugging a new product. Hope that helps a few that are on the fence as to whether or not they want to try a TLR product. Second to none for quality service and support. TLR takes racing as serious as the racers. Have a high respect for TLR becuase I have seen them support every racer with the same repect.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 11-27-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TLR rear shock towers

Has anyone having troubles with breaking rear shock towers right at the ears ?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Try this FULL setup. Make sure to nail all of the details. Then report back and we'll see if you're happier and where we can help you get from there.

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...2016-10-10.pdf

Frank -- Are you running the brass plate under the low profile lipo?

Thx!
Old 11-28-2016, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Hi all,

Just got back into racing after 20 years out, managed to pick up one of these second hand, and any advice/help appreciated as it was my dad who did all the work back in the day

Firstly, will a normal sized servo fit in this car, or does it have to be the slimmer ones? Also, if the servo type isn't listed in the instructions how do i know which servo horn to use or which shims?

The tracks i'll be racing on will be medium to high grip, the car currently has the 4 gear setup in it, looking at the picture on the first page of this thread i assume i'd be best going to 3 gear or laydown?

Any other suggestions on setups and what spares are needed in case of breakages would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Daz
Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrichter
Frank -- Are you running the brass plate under the low profile lipo?

Thx!
Generally, no.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default 22 3.0SR CVA Driveshaft Bones

Frank,
Will the new TLR 22 3.0SR aluminum driveshafts p/n 232059 fit the 22 3.0?

Thanks,
Robi
Old 11-28-2016, 11:12 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slider3
Frank,
Will the new TLR 22 3.0SR aluminum driveshafts p/n 232059 fit the 22 3.0?

Thanks,
Robi
Yes, but you have to all the SR diff also. You can't run one without the other.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by daz_75
Hi all,

Just got back into racing after 20 years out, managed to pick up one of these second hand, and any advice/help appreciated as it was my dad who did all the work back in the day

Firstly, will a normal sized servo fit in this car, or does it have to be the slimmer ones? Also, if the servo type isn't listed in the instructions how do i know which servo horn to use or which shims?

The tracks i'll be racing on will be medium to high grip, the car currently has the 4 gear setup in it, looking at the picture on the first page of this thread i assume i'd be best going to 3 gear or laydown?

Any other suggestions on setups and what spares are needed in case of breakages would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Daz
I don't think you absolutely need a short servo, it depends on what electronics you use and how you position them. I run my Sanwa receiver and LRP flow "inline" - so I have to use a short servo to position them this way. If I placed them side by side in the chassis I could run a standard sized servo. Just depends on your preference.

As far as servo horns go, I don't think you will have any problem finding out which one to use. I would find the servo you want first and then go from there. I have used Futaba, Spektrum, and Airtronics without any issues. I'm currently using a Spektrum 6240 and really like it. As for shims, I think you want to shim so the servo link is parallel to the rack. I have mine set this way and have no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.