TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for fast answer.

Only indoor use.

Most races are "EOS" carpet and "normal" carpet.

One race is medium bite, it looks slippery but they put sugar.

testlogger.info/track/256
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Anyone know what the length between ball cups to get 0 degrees of toe? Thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonski
Anyone know what the length between ball cups to get 0 degrees of toe? Thanks
That's going to depend on a few aspects of your setup, such as ride height, bump steer, Ackerman. So I don't know that my measurement would get you zero degrees... If it could, I imagine that's how we would all write it on setup sheets. But you can eyeball it on one side, then just measure and make sure both are the same length.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What servo spacer do you use with a MKS servo?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
That's going to depend on a few aspects of your setup, such as ride height, bump steer, Ackerman. So I don't know that my measurement would get you zero degrees... If it could, I imagine that's how we would all write it on setup sheets. But you can eyeball it on one side, then just measure and make sure both are the same length.
Guess I didn't really think too much about all of that. Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Laydown

So I run on a tight, high bite clay indoor track. I just built a new 22 3.0, with the complete laydown conversion.
This is where I am not clear, is there a "dirt" laydown tranny, and a carpet/turf laydown tranny? Or is the tranny that is with the complete laydown conversion it?
Tlr338004 is what I have. I don't see two different laydown tranny part numbers so just to clarify.
Raced losi for years, getting back in it to win it.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goodgame
So I run on a tight, high bite clay indoor track. I just built a new 22 3.0, with the complete laydown conversion.
This is where I am not clear, is there a "dirt" laydown tranny, and a carpet/turf laydown tranny? Or is the tranny that is with the complete laydown conversion it?
Tlr338004 is what I have. I don't see two different laydown tranny part numbers so just to clarify.
Raced losi for years, getting back in it to win it.
Thanks
Yes, there is a "dirt" laydown transmission case available separately, which is run with the kit plastic hubs (not the aluminum ones in the laydown conversion.) However, I'd say try it as it is first. I just converted my carpet buggy to the laydown kit. On clay, I have only run the kit "standup" transmission, but Frank has been saying that the regular laydown is good for high bite clay as well.

To me, the difference in the standard laydown and dirt laydown just appears to be the ride heights they favor: if you need a ride height much over 20 mm, you probably need the dirt transmission. For 20 mm or lower, the standard laydown is where it's at. Either way, you're stuck with the battery full forward. If you need to get more weight on the rear to hook up, you'll need the stock standup transmission.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Callaway
Yes, there is a "dirt" laydown transmission case available separately, which is run with the kit plastic hubs (not the aluminum ones in the laydown conversion.) However, I'd say try it as it is first. I just converted my carpet buggy to the laydown kit. On clay, I have only run the kit "standup" transmission, but Frank has been saying that the regular laydown is good for high bite clay as well.

To me, the difference in the standard laydown and dirt laydown just appears to be the ride heights they favor: if you need a ride height much over 20 mm, you probably need the dirt transmission. For 20 mm or lower, the standard laydown is where it's at. Either way, you're stuck with the battery full forward. If you need to get more weight on the rear to hook up, you'll need the stock standup transmission.
Ok cool, thanks for the feedback. I haven't ran it yet, waiting for aluminum parts to show up any day now. Steering rack and bell cranks. As well as chassis protectors. Lhs is prodominantly ae, which is what the shop pushes... but I've always killed it with losi. So I'm really pumped to get a tlr at the top of the podium in the 2wd class. 👍
Old 10-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Is anyone using the aluminum steering set? Is the stock steering rack just fine, or is the aluminum rack necessary for durability or smoothness? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goodgame
Ok cool, thanks for the feedback. I haven't ran it yet, waiting for aluminum parts to show up any day now. Steering rack and bell cranks. As well as chassis protectors. Lhs is prodominantly ae, which is what the shop pushes... but I've always killed it with losi. So I'm really pumped to get a tlr at the top of the podium in the 2wd class. ��
It's a great buggy right out of the box! All I did was changed rear springs and threw on a chassis protector.
It is really a very fun car to drive!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by thecman26
It's a great buggy right out of the box! All I did was changed rear springs and threw on a chassis protector.
It is really a very fun car to drive!
I just finshed building a 22-4 2.0 couple weeks earlier. Its amazing to drive. I'm going all out on this 3.0 and can't wait to throw down some laps. Should be race ready with both of them by next Friday's races. I'll let you know how it goes. Starting my setup from Dustin Evans... and will adjust to my driving style from there.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:14 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
Just wanna say thanks frank for your support on here. I tried your suggestions and actually yesterday made one more change and went to 3.5 rear toe. Car is hooked MD drives great now. Now I wanna try my laydown conversion.

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
Is anyone using the aluminum steering set? Is the stock steering rack just fine, or is the aluminum rack necessary for durability or smoothness? Thanks.
It works great, and has less slop. The durability of the stock rack is good, so not much improvement there.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank Root

It works great, and has less slop. The durability of the stock rack is good, so not much improvement there.
Thanks for the reply Frank. I went ahead and ordered the 3.0 kit today, and also splurged for the aluminum steering rack and a few other parts. I appreciate your support here. I don't post very much but I read everything, or as much as I can anyway.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Frank, I saw you were pretty quick at the JCONCEPTS race at rc excitement any chance of a set up sheet or any information like that. I have had the car for a couple months and haven't raced it yet. But the car seems to push on corner entry and very loose on power of corner exit.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
What servo spacer do you use with a MKS servo?

Anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.