R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree14Likes

Old 10-01-2016, 02:49 AM   #3556
Tech Rookie

Finaly pulled the trigger. Bought my first 2wd off road buggy. It's the 22 3.0 Can't wait for the mail man to deliver...

Used to race the short course class only. But i was always attracted to the 2wd class. So now i finally join this class as well.

Will continue reading these forums and absorb all info available.
Hamster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #3557
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Matt, is your motor or motor plate touching the chassis? That'd turn the chassis plate into a big ol' resonator.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #3558
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
2 questions for Frank,

1, what effect does running the spindle shims like dakotah does have on the handling

2, my dirt laydown is loud. i mean really loud...i hae cleaned and greased the gears, it has done it since i got it, i have changed the sour gear and the pinion gear, i expect some noise with the metal on metal gears, but this squeel is something, my car is noticably louder than other cars at the track.

Ideas??

as always, thank you
The aluminum idle gear is the culprit. I'd like to see a plastic one. I have also notice when tightening down the tranny case screws it puts a little drag on the drive train. just snug on the screws to allow it to spin free. this might help to quite things down a bit.
8ight E 4.0
Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #3559
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are TLR and Exotek the only companies that offer laydowns? And what to look for before buying a used 3.0? TIA
Rc.Car.Vids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #3560
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think its a machining issue...when I ran the regular laydown we never had the noise compared to the new "dirt laydown" transmission. Either way it's a great car and I can deal with a little noise for the WIN!
Sm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #3561
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
2 questions for Frank,

1, what effect does running the spindle shims like dakotah does have on the handling

2, my dirt laydown is loud. i mean really loud...i hae cleaned and greased the gears, it has done it since i got it, i have changed the sour gear and the pinion gear, i expect some noise with the metal on metal gears, but this squeel is something, my car is noticably louder than other cars at the track.

Ideas??

as always, thank you
Raising the hubs up front will give you more on power steering.
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #3562
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
The aluminum idle gear is the culprit. I'd like to see a plastic one. I have also notice when tightening down the tranny case screws it puts a little drag on the drive train. just snug on the screws to allow it to spin free. this might help to quite things down a bit.

i am doing that now...cause i noticed that also...mine is really noticeable...matt maiers car is not as loud..

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #3563
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Raising the hubs up front will give you more on power steering.
thank you sir....this is what i am looking for..

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Old 10-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #3564
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Matt, is your motor or motor plate touching the chassis? That'd turn the chassis plate into a big ol' resonator.
ill check...it sounds like to tight of gear mesh...
it drives me nuts...lol

Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #3565
Tech Adept

Question: I am going to do the laydown conversion with the dirt case. I was looking at the instructions and they show a gear differential being used. Is the ball diff compatible? And if a ball diff is compatible would my MIP pucks system still work?
Chad_R40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #3566
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_R40 View Post
Question: I am going to do the laydown conversion with the dirt case. I was looking at the instructions and they show a gear differential being used. Is the ball diff compatible? And if a ball diff is compatible would my MIP pucks system still work?
the ball dif is compatable, as are the correct version of the mip pucks

Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #3567
Tech Adept

Quote:
the ball dif is compatable, as are the correct version of the mip pucks
That's another thing I'm worried about. I bought the pucks system last season and they were labeled 2.0/3.0 bit now I see they have a 3.0 only version and the out drives look different then mine...
Chad_R40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #3568
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_R40 View Post
That's another thing I'm worried about. I bought the pucks system last season and they were labeled 2.0/3.0 bit now I see they have a 3.0 only version and the out drives look different then mine...
The outdrives are the same. The bones are different so you can run standard TLR axles and they are longer to sit further in the outdrive. Just make sure you run the spacer on the axle with yours.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #3569
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Frank or anyone, with the dirt laydown conversion, are most people running the brass front block or aluminum hubs?
dbracn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #3570
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Here's my current setup.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 04:28 AM.
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote