TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rozzy
My dilemma. I need a second car to run on a very groomed indoor track. I have alot in to my 3.0 for the out doors. I have a 22 2.0 But from the looks of a laydown conversion and a dirt kit plus all the bs to convert a 2.0 or the big cost of a 3.0. How do you guys think this compare to 309.00 for a b6 Opinions please
Have a B6, YZ-2 CA, and the TLR with the dirt laydown is hands down the best option as of right now. With the B6 I haven't been able to play with its setup much. On the 22 3.0 I just changed over chassis and transmission for the dirt config, all other things like shock packages and springs didnt need to change. It's expensive, but in my mind its the easiest way to go right now.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Have a B6, YZ-2 CA, and the TLR with the dirt laydown is hands down the best option as of right now. With the B6 I haven't been able to play with its setup much. On the 22 3.0 I just changed over chassis and transmission for the dirt config, all other things like shock packages and springs didnt need to change. It's expensive, but in my mind its the easiest way to go right now.
Ok, you like the tlr3.0 laydown, and that is cool. You say the tlr is the easiest? How so? The yok, xray and AE cars come with laydowns, no need to buy a chassis and etc. You have the b6, but never messed with it, yet the tlr is by far the best? How so? I am all for side by side comparisons, that talk to the strengths and weaknesses of the cars. But your blanket statements are not very well supported in your post. Please elaborate.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:32 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Ok, you like the tlr3.0 laydown, and that is cool. You say the tlr is the easiest? How so? The yok, xray and AE cars come with laydowns, no need to buy a chassis and etc. You have the b6, but never messed with it, yet the tlr is by far the best? How so? I am all for side by side comparisons, that talk to the strengths and weaknesses of the cars. But your blanket statements are not very well supported in your post. Please elaborate.
If you're "supported by" AE, why come in this thread, and question a consumers point? Doesn't seem very productive, and if anything, a little 'troll-ish'.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Frank Root
If you're "supported by" AE, why come in this thread, and question a consumers point? Doesn't seem very productive, and if anything, a little 'troll-ish'.
not supported by.. just a list of the products I run. Trolling, nah. Just asking for details. Details help customers looking to switch make an informed decision. I monitor this thread,because I have friends that run tlr, and i like to keep educated on the car. A local is actually selling a laydown 3.0 car, that I was debating for my 10 year old. But having a TLR rep call me a troll, does not encourage me to buy the car from my friend.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

not supported by.. just a list of the products I run. Trolling, nah. Just asking for details. Details help customers looking to switch make an informed decision. I monitor this thread,because I have friends that run tlr, and i like to keep educated on the car. A local is actually selling a laydown 3.0 car, that I was debating for my 10 year old. But having a TLR rep call me a troll, does not encourage me to buy the car from my friend.
Plus I'm thinking of buying that laydown car. I know who you are talking about. Lol. Don't bite my deal. Lol
Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Buy it, they do carry more corner speed over the b6 when they both are equally setup. Plus it doesn't go through shock towers either. At least chassis are not cut up to support towers with TLR
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Support vs Supported by. I didn't find anything trollish....just seeking additional info. Saying you haven't messed much with the "other" car while saying the current car you've probably put countless packs through is better doesn't say much.

To the OP Rozzy, If you want an unbiased review look up Jason Snyder's videos on Youtube. He reviews both the 3.0 and the B6 (although I don't believe he has done a TLR laydown review yet).

Overall we don't need to litter the 3.0 thread with B6 posts and the same for the B6 thread.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by WillS
Buy it, they do carry more corner speed over the b6 when they both are equally setup. Plus it doesn't go through shock towers either. At least chassis are not cut up to support towers with TLR
pfff, I can break tlr towers I got skills
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
To the OP Rozzy, If you want an unbiased review look up Jason Snyder's videos on Youtube. He reviews both the 3.0 and the B6 (although I don't believe he has done a TLR laydown review yet).
I'm not sure those reviews are unbiased. He didn't get a free 22 3.0 kit, and he let us know he was unhappy about it, and even the viewers in the video.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

I'm not sure those reviews are unbiased. He didn't get a free 22 3.0 kit, and he let us know he was unhappy about it, and even the viewers in the video.
I agree. Jason is not as "unbiased" as he once was. The price of "fame" I guess, lol
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Well then....If you want an unbiased review go out and buy both cars and run them yourself.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is there any chance of spinning off a laydown thread? Many people are and should be running standard 3.0 buggies. I feel like this thread has left us behind, yet the platform is still brand new. Just a thought.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I'd be interested in keeping the laydown discussion in this thread... I haven't been active in the thread for a while, but have been following along the banter and I appreciate it FWIW.

I'd also be interested in learning about how many pro drivers are still running the stock transmission on a med-high bite smooth clay track?

I haven't made the conversion to the dirt laydown yet, but considering it... my biggest fear is messing up my setup because my car is already doing very well for me as is... I was talking to another local this weekend who didn't have any luck with turf laydown (not sure what it's called, the non-dirt laydown?) and his lap times got exponentially worse for him.

At the very least, it would be nice to have some sort of PDF template available for folks to print out a copy, tape to their stock chassis and drill the holes themselves instead of having to buy a whole new chassis. That would make it easier for me to pull the trigger on a laydown conversion to experiment with.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by billdelong
I'd be interested in keeping the laydown discussion in this thread... I haven't been active in the thread for a while, but have been following along the banter and I appreciate it FWIW.

I'd also be interested in learning about how many pro drivers are still running the stock transmission on a med-high bite smooth clay track?

I haven't made the conversion to the dirt laydown yet, but considering it... my biggest fear is messing up my setup because my car is already doing very well for me as is... I was talking to another local this weekend who didn't have any luck with turf laydown (not sure what it's called, the non-dirt laydown?) and his lap times got exponentially worse for him.

At the very least, it would be nice to have some sort of PDF template available for folks to print out a copy, tape to their stock chassis and drill the holes themselves instead of having to buy a whole new chassis. That would make it easier for me to pull the trigger on a laydown conversion to experiment with.
I think that laydown cars are faster.... but not quite as easy to drive unless on a track with pretty good grip. I look at it this way, if you are a top 5 in the main guy, you probably have the skill required to drive it and are so close with the guys you are directly competing with that the 1-2 tenths you could pick up matter enough to give it a shot. If you are a middle of the B-main guy, then the laydown will probably prove to not be easy enough to drive and won't improve your results over all... right now you just need to focus on having clean runs, driving faster, etc. then think about laydown a little further down the road when the car starts to become more of a limiting factor.

When I say 'you', that intended for whoever reads this, and not you Bill
Old 08-24-2016, 11:53 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by jgroenhof
Is there any chance of spinning off a laydown thread? Many people are and should be running standard 3.0 buggies. I feel like this thread has left us behind, yet the platform is still brand new. Just a thought.
If you have any "standup" questions, this is the place to post them. I'm always in here trying to help as well as many others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.