TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brad996
Frank I have been looking on the TLR site and i don't see the laydown dirt trans case could you give me the part number
1 page back

http://www.rctech.net/forum/14635697-post3329.html
Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonski
That's the only reason...and I want TLR aluminum 67mm driveshafts because I don't want to put the MIP system on my car.
Me neither.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Binding Laydown/Dirt Transmission

For those of you working with the laydown and laydown dirt tranny - this question's for you. I recently built up both these cases and find that neither seem as smooth as I'd hope (bearings are smooth and clean). Are there any tips and/or tricks to help? Or is a bit of breaking in required to smooth up the transmission.

From what I have done so far I do see things get really bound if screws are over-tightened.

-Thanks, Todd
Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Me neither.
Titanium drive shafts would be nice. Or would they create additional wear on the outdrives? Maybe titanium shafts with steel pins?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toddmanley
For those of you working with the laydown and laydown dirt tranny - this question's for you. I recently built up both these cases and find that neither seem as smooth as I'd hope (bearings are smooth and clean). Are there any tips and/or tricks to help? Or is a bit of breaking in required to smooth up the transmission.

From what I have done so far I do see things get really bound if screws are over-tightened.

-Thanks, Todd
Other than cleaning up bearings and using a lubricant on them, I used protek white grease on the gears. Smooth as can be if not the smoothest TLR transmission to date.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

-Thanks, Todd
Good morning Todd. Couple things I look for is to make sure the bearings are smooth. If smooth but slightly dry, I'd do a drop of bearing oil to see if that helps. If running ceramics I really like Schelle Black Diamond oil as it works really well. Lastly like Will said put a little grease on the gears. I use just the grease that comes in the kit. A little goes a far way.

Last edited by Team Pink; 08-19-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What wheels are you guys using for carpet tires? There is a carpet track opening soon and need wheels and tires for it.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

-Thanks, Todd
If using the gear diff, you can shim it and that allows you to tighten the screws all the way down with no scrubbing.

I discuss it here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post14344273
Old 08-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdutch03
What wheels are you guys using for carpet tires? There is a carpet track opening soon and need wheels and tires for it.
We use Dboot carpet tires at our local carpet track. Some people also run the gone bananas foams.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was running the new dirt tranny bone dry - a little grease did the trick.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Schumacher mini pins and cut staggers are the go-to here. I ran the new JConcepts pin downs and swaggers last weekend though and they are easily my new favorite. Just remember that for either of those front tires (and for Proline wedges as well), they are meant to go on a narrow wheel, so cut the inside rib off a regular wheel before mounting them.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So we are cutting down the inner area of the wheel to fit the tires, so what is the best way thou have found to trim it down?
Old 08-20-2016, 04:37 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So we are cutting down the inner area of the wheel to fit the tires, so what is the best way thou have found to trim it down?
Lexan scissors.

Trim the inner section off the fronts, rears are good to go.

No foams in the low profile fronts.

Soft open cell foams in schumacher rears.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Titanium drive shafts would be nice. Or would they create additional wear on the outdrives? Maybe titanium shafts with steel pins?
I wouldn't want titanium for my driveshafts, titanium is a brittle metal so it may just split before it would bend, and in that application it is useless because a thicker aluminum shaft will be about the same weight and strength and cost less. Titanium makes sense in screws and turnbuckles because it strong and light for it's density, but in something that you can make very thick, aluminum is just a cheaper, lighter option.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Why not carbon fiber driveshafts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.