R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #3076
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub86 View Post
Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #3077
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So is there any reason why the dirt laydown can't be made to work on the stock chassis? Drill holes and shim the waterfall?
mugen8605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #3078
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen8605 View Post
So is there any reason why the dirt laydown can't be made to work on the stock chassis? Drill holes and shim the waterfall?
The dirt transmission needs parts that are in the conversion kit, so you'll have the lay down chassis anyway.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 06-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #3079
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ATTN TLR: SEND FRANK ROOT TO THE JCONCEPTS IN CHICO

That's all

Frank- Did you want me to try your setup the way it's printed or with the HRC blocks?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #3080
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodRC View Post
I tested the Exotek lay down tranny, with 22mm ride height, and the on power corner speed was awesome. Very happy with this tranny.
Same here. 22 feels great.
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #3081
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
ATTN TLR: SEND FRANK ROOT TO THE JCONCEPTS IN CHICO

That's all

Frank- Did you want me to try your setup the way it's printed or with the HRC blocks?
If you're running the standard laydown conversion, I'd run the HRC front setup. If you have a dirt laydown, I'd run a more standard front end setup.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #3082
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
If you're running the standard laydown conversion, I'd run the HRC front setup. If you have a dirt laydown, I'd run a more standard front end setup.
It's neither. It's your Reedy setup with going up 2.5wt on the standard chassis.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #3083
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
It's neither. It's your Reedy setup with going up 2.5wt on the standard chassis.
Nope, I'd just rock it as is.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #3084
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Nope, I'd just rock it as is.
DONE!!!!

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:08 AM   #3085
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is there going to be a kit released that includes the laydown tranny? Like a carpet edition....
dglewis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #3086
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Might be time Frank to do up a TLR 22 3.0 Chassis config chart.

With 2 chassis options, 3/4gear options. upright laydown gear boxes LRC HRC ect ect...
It would be cool to have a graphic that shows what to use from carpet to beach sand tracks.. Xray
Old 06-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #3087
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)
Default First ever TLR

Well I've never owned a losi I was and still kinda die hard AE guy first real rc as a kid was gold pan. Anyways after some reading and looking I decided I wanted my first losi to be a TLR 22 3.0 buggy and I'm itching to get it I'm excited about a lot of things but mostly the unknown the brand itself is foreign to me. I'm going to run it as a mod buggy so any die hard losi guys or frank have any advice pointers on what to look for or do to the car I honestly don't have the time to read the hundreds of pages and weed out the best info so even though it may seem like a redundant ? Any help or insight would be great I'll be running a small indoor track with medium traction it's packed tight but no grooving some light dust time to time so I don't think the laud own will be anything of a improvement. Thanks so much
TLR- 22SCT for my daughter and again big thank you (Konasubs)
TLR- 22 3.0 for my daughter mega big thank you (Konasubs & Seether)
thumper_pa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #3088
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRob View Post
Same here. 22 feels great.
I ended up with a 22mm ride height this past weekend and it was great. I went from a b main driver to a TQ in qual 2. The buggy was awesome. A little twitchy but I got over that by moving the front shocks to the center hole on the shock tower. The main got a little rough trying to pass lapped drivers but managed to have the fastest lap time. Finished in 4th. I was very pleased with the leydown tranny. It's a keeper for sure!
HollywoodRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #3089
Tech Regular

Frank

On your latest setups you have started going long arm in the front why is that? What does going to long arm instead of short arm due to the handling of the car.

Thanks
fantomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #3090
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomdude View Post
Frank

On your latest setups you have started going long arm in the front why is that? What does going to long arm instead of short arm due to the handling of the car.

Thanks
Well I can't answer for Frank, and I have only been into this for a little more than a year, but I went to long VLA on my local carpet track and haven't looked back. To me, it made the front less aggressive and a little more forgiving.

Edit: I should elaborate. I didn't lose turn in or anything. It was in mid-corner that it was more forgiving as I would describe it. There is so much traction on our carpet that a little twitch mid-corner could cause traction roll. Long VLA calmed that down for me.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote