R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 AM   #271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The car Tyler got wasn't a full production car I believe and we didn't have any issues with bell crank bearings. I tightened ours like normal and with the shim on top I had a tiny amount of up and down movement on the post like there should be. Not saying something couldn't have changed but that's weird you guys having that issue.

In another note. Tyler got to run his for the second time this weekend on a medium bite, little rough, get some dust on it clay. Once we put right compound tires on, car was hooked up!! JP Richards was there running too and Tyler tq'd over him in third round. Checked out in the main with the win by putting entire field down a lap or more. Tyler said the track was definitely slicker in main but still had way more grip than his old really dialed in 2.0! Car is amazing and I think a lot of people will like it!!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #272
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

No issue so far with my build. Front and rear ends are on chassis just tranny and shocks to go. Manual does show and provide shims for steering and mine doesnt bind.
bk2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #273
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2racer View Post
No issue so far with my build. Front and rear ends are on chassis just tranny and shocks to go. Manual does show and provide shims for steering and mine doesnt bind.
Glad build is going good for you!! We had a lot of people come and grab the car this weekend and check it out. A ton of people watching it on track too. All positive feedback from racers and future racers. Even competition admit to thinking the car is good. I will try to help on here if I can with questions. Tyler and are very approachable if you are ever at a race and we are there. Don't hesitate to come say hi or ask questions. That's one of my favorite parts to this sport.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #274
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo tom View Post
Very interesting as I struggle a bit consistency wise with the YZ2 on astro (but it works really well on carpet).
You could use some additive on wet astro, it works great and minipins silver too, more grip, more forward drive.

This 3.0 looks good for sure, they did a great job on a lot of aspects, I really like it.
Interesting post regarding the use of additive - may I ask which track(s) your tested this on and which brand of additive your using?

Normally mini pins are useless on astro in the wet no matter what compound you use although I don't use them normally as the BRCA Control tyre is mini spikes not pins so I don't bother to set my car up on a tyre I can't run legally
Sanwa
losi8lunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #275
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnushedqvist View Post
Will the tranny case you ran at the worlds be availible as an option to the car? It would be great for winter carpet racing;-)
I've been wondering this too
flamingtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #276
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Will part TLR334005 fit the 3.0?

Or TLR334014?
TLR334005 spindles will fit on the car but they are not correct for the 3.0 front geometry which was updated with the belcranks.

TLR334014 are the alum rear hubs and would be a direct replacement.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #277
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post
I started this build last night, overall I'm really happy with the car. The quality is good, the pricing is great and you get a hell of a lot of car for your money.

A couple of pain points I've found though;

- Bell crank bearings, the sit a fraction of a mm above the bell crank arms so when you fasten down the front bulkhead the bearings bind. You need to back them off to get free play in the bearing which means the screw and bulk head are not secure.

- The mud guards, non of the holes line up. So you need to jig and shimmy fasten and unfasten to get them to a point where they line up.

Otherwise good car, but the bell crank bearing issue is a biggy.
If you go all hulk on the bolts going into the top of the steering posts, you can "crush" the plastic and cause the plastic of the bulkhead to crush over and around the shim and then hit the outer race of the bearing. Or, you didn't fully seat the bearings in the bell cranks. The bell cranks are usually a little loose up/down on the shaft, and add another washer to take that gap up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
How are people getting this car already? Team drivers? It doesn't release until the beginning of December.
A handful of team drivers, and the cars are available to everyone in Australia now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
What is the part number for the 70T spur? Will the avid or Schelle slipper system fit the 3.0?
TLR3978 = http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...ProdID=TLR3978

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Will part TLR334005 fit the 3.0?

Or TLR334014?
TLR334005 - These will fit, but the ackermann will be a bit different.

TLR334014 - These are a direct fit.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #278
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
If you go all hulk on the bolts going into the top of the steering posts, you can "crush" the plastic and cause the plastic of the bulkhead to crush over and around the shim and then hit the outer race of the bearing. Or, you didn't fully seat the bearings in the bell cranks. The bell cranks are usually a little loose up/down on the shaft, and add another washer to take that gap up.
I've tried that, but the bearing doesnt slip into the bellcrank arm, you need to give it a little elbow and it still protrudes slightly so that the bulkhead catches it. The shim is in place and it's fine.
I'll fiddle around with it and get it in place.

The car is A++ though, I can't think of a single hop up or piece you'd need to finish it off. Really recommend
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #279
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post
I've tried that, but the bearing doesnt slip into the bellcrank arm, you need to give it a little elbow and it still protrudes slightly so that the bulkhead catches it. The shim is in place and it's fine.
I'll fiddle around with it and get it in place.

The car is A++ though, I can't think of a single hop up or piece you'd need to finish it off. Really recommend
I have only seen one so far and on that buggy he only had aluminum rear hexes, otherwise the car was box stock and was frikin dialed!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #280
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Frank, can you explain the deletion of the 7.5 x 5 x 1mm spacer on the axle before the rear hub? It was added to the 2.0 for dogbone plunge if I remember correctly. Are the 3.0 arms 1mm shorter?

8ight 4.0 - 8ight-E 4.0 - TC7.1 - 22 2.0
Kewlbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #281
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewlbug View Post
Frank, can you explain the deletion of the 7.5 x 5 x 1mm spacer on the axle before the rear hub? It was added to the 2.0 for dogbone plunge if I remember correctly. Are the 3.0 arms 1mm shorter?
This is still an option on the 3.0, just like the 2.0.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #282
Tech Elite

i got on now on order mom is helping me pay for it
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #283
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJones View Post
Glad build is going good for you!! We had a lot of people come and grab the car this weekend and check it out. A ton of people watching it on track too. All positive feedback from racers and future racers. Even competition admit to thinking the car is good. I will try to help on here if I can with questions. Tyler and are very approachable if you are ever at a race and we are there. Don't hesitate to come say hi or ask questions. That's one of my favorite parts to this sport.
Hey! I was one that checked out your 3.0. Thanks a million for taking the time. My son and I are both running RB6's. Everyone is converting to 3 gear and sideways shortys but the 3.0 seems to be the first specifically engineered for it. Really nice piece.

My big question right now...
Is the wheel offset the same as B5M/RB6 or am I looking at starting all over with wheels and tires??

Thanks again Randy! Hope to see you guys again soon!
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #284
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
Hey! I was one that checked out your 3.0. Thanks a million for taking the time. My son and I are both running RB6's. Everyone is converting to 3 gear and sideways shortys but the 3.0 seems to be the first specifically engineered for it. Really nice piece.

My big question right now...
Is the wheel offset the same as B5M/RB6 or am I looking at starting all over with wheels and tires??

Thanks again Randy! Hope to see you guys again soon!
From what I have heard the fronts are definitely different offsets, not sure of the rears.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #285
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJones View Post

Id love to take you up on that hopefully I can get to the states for a race or two some time
bk2racer is offline   Reply With Quote