Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread! >

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway
Any chance a carpet version will be offered in a complete kit form? I'll make do with the current 3.0 on carpet so I don't have much work to do when visiting clay tracks, but if a complete carpet kit were available for $330 or so, I'd buy it to have a dedicated carpet setup. It's a more difficult equation when a dedicated carpet rig would cost the normal $330 plus the carpet conversion. But maybe I need to decide how serious I am anyway... If I'm serious enough, cost won't matter
No plans at the moment. Not sure what the future of those cars might hold.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
No plans at the moment. Not sure what the future of those cars might hold.
Fingers crossed.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

I purchased the 22 3.0 after quite a few years out of the hobby and just started assembling it.

On step A-11 where ti calls for loctite on the bell crank steering, will the loctite ruin the bearings if it gets on them?
Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ffejrey
I purchased the 22 3.0 after quite a few years out of the hobby and just started assembling it.

On step A-11 where ti calls for loctite on the bell crank steering, will the loctite ruin the bearings if it gets on them?
My general experience has been that large amounts of Loctite in/on the bearings can affect them.

Have you done the step already or are you preparing to?
Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Wanderer77
My general experience has been that large amounts of Loctite in/on the bearings can affect them.

Have you done the step already or are you preparing to?
Well I did it by putting one drop of loctite on the screws as depicted in the manual, but too much loctite fell onto the washer and bearing for my liking so I cleaned it off with brake cleaner right away.

I'm guessing use a toothpick or something to put only a little on the part that it screws into (not sure the name of the part). It seems just using the supplied tube to apply it will put too much on it.

Was mostly curious to see if loctite would negatively affect the bearing, you would think the manual would have a warning or something there.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Most locktites are not like glue in that they only cure in the absence of air. If there is excess, you can just wipe it away.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well I did it by putting one drop of loctite on the screws as depicted in the manual, but too much loctite fell onto the washer and bearing for my liking so I cleaned it off with brake cleaner right away.

I'm guessing use a toothpick or something to put only a little on the part that it screws into (not sure the name of the part). It seems just using the supplied tube to apply it will put too much on it.

Was mostly curious to see if loctite would negatively affect the bearing, you would think the manual would have a warning or something there.
From your description, I'd say you're fine. For me, I typically dab screws on a cloth after applying Loctite so that you have it in the threads, but not dripping off. Can also sometimes use method of putting drop of Loctite into the post, not on the screw...will make things a little cleaner also, but easy to drop too much into post if not careful. Also need to be concerned about what it may drip/run into on the other side. To control the amount and placement, I make a small puddle of Loctite and use the tip of an angled razor blade...typically because that is close, but I suppose a toothpick or other items would work also.

-W
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

I usually just wipe/dab up any excess with a microfiber.

I wouldn't expect blue loctite to absolutely ruin bearings...it breaks down into an almost powder-like substance under physical duress. That residue could be easily cleaned out.

That said, I doubt that getting loctite in your bearings is a great thing for them either.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, so wiping any excess off the bearing should be good enough. Just being overly paranoid!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

I use loc tite on my ball cups. They have never popped off.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

my 3.0 ready for shag rug tomorrow

Old 04-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

The yz2 body looks fantastic and with a little velcro will fit not too bad. Also thanks to rc10nick for the carbon fiber chassis, im currently working on my own design that can bolt in either a stock transmission or my low profile transmission that i have been working on.

Last edited by gokarter64; 04-02-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

^ nice. i like that body. i also like the proline predator. i have one being painted now.

what does everyone recommend for a setup change for carpet? like from the box stock setup, what is everyone changing for carpet? i simply went a little lower. played with some shock oils but i have no concrete setup yet.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 6hr carpet enduro

My 3.0 was put through the ultimate test yesterday, a 6hr carpet enduro and I'm glad to say we came out on top!

6hrs, 4 drivers, 3 sets of tires and over 1100 laps completed. We didn't have one single breakage the whole day (swapped to the new rear camber block before the meeting just in case). I also fitted those Kyosho diff O-rings to the losi gear diff before the event and after 6 hers all the fluid was still in the diff!

Car was super stable and easy to drive on everything from new right down to bald tyres. The rear tire wear was amazing. Running yellow Schumacher mini pins, after 2hrs they looked like they could still have done another 45mins. The fronts on the other hand were not so good. We ran 6mik's and they were completely smooth after their 2hr stints (will be looking to make some setup adjustments to try fix this).

(can't get PDF small enough to upload) Here's my setup sheet for anyone interested. Track surface is a longish pile carpet that provides extremely high grip. The track was quite tight and our jumps are small-medium size square wooden ones so not very forgiving at all.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rally stylz
My 3.0 was put through the ultimate test yesterday, a 6hr carpet enduro and I'm glad to say we came out on top!

6hrs, 4 drivers, 3 sets of tires and over 1100 laps completed. We didn't have one single breakage the whole day (swapped to the new rear camber block before the meeting just in case). I also fitted those Kyosho diff O-rings to the losi gear diff before the event and after 6 hers all the fluid was still in the diff!

Car was super stable and easy to drive on everything from new right down to bald tyres. The rear tire wear was amazing. Running yellow Schumacher mini pins, after 2hrs they looked like they could still have done another 45mins. The fronts on the other hand were not so good. We ran 6mik's and they were completely smooth after their 2hr stints (will be looking to make some setup adjustments to try fix this).

(can't get PDF small enough to upload) Here's my setup sheet for anyone interested. Track surface is a longish pile carpet that provides extremely high grip. The track was quite tight and our jumps are small-medium size square wooden ones so not very forgiving at all.
Awesome dude! I'd love to see your setup.

Can you help me with mine. I ran it on carpet today and I was getting a slight push. Other than that it handled very well, I was in love.

My setup was as follows...

Setup - box stock w/ some changes and upgrades...
- 19mm ride height
- 32.5wt rear shock oil
- 30wt front shock oil
- Serpent SRX2 gear diff (2 gear, 15k oil)

Tires:
- Schumacher mini pin 2 (blue for practice w/ med inserts)
- Schumacher low pro cut stagger (no insertcs, cut wheels)

Power/electronics:
- 7.5t Trinity d4
- Tekin rsx
- Ko propo kr413fh
- 81t spur, 17 tooth pinion
- Avid triad slipper
- Trinity revtek 5000mah shorty (all the way forward)
- Spektrum s6270 servo

Upgrades:
- TLR alu hubs
- TLR alu hexes
- TLR alu front axles
- TLR low pro serrated wheel nuts
- Exotek alu front camber
- Exotek alu servo mounts
- Exotek alu steering rack
- TLR ti turnbuckles
- Lunsford ti ball studs
- Lunsford ti shock standoffs
- Schumacher alum nuts

Last edited by lyons238; 04-03-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.