R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #2086
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Pihguam1
klowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #2087
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidtrout View Post
The offset is completely different, isn't it?
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the rear wheels are nearly the same, it's the fronts that are totally different. The only reason I know this is because I've bought AKA pre-mounts before that are supposed to fit both cars and they work just fine.
68pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #2088
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68pontiac View Post
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the rear wheels are nearly the same, it's the fronts that are totally different. The only reason I know this is because I've bought AKA pre-mounts before that are supposed to fit both cars and they work just fine.
I think you're right. All the AKA, DE and jcon rear wheels on the Amain website says they are compatible with B5 and 22s.
juicy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #2089
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
I think you're right. All the AKA, DE and jcon rear wheels on the Amain website says they are compatible with B5 and 22s.
The JCo wheels I had left over from my B5M didn't fit without adding a washer onto the axle. The nut bottoms out before it tightens on the wheel. Otherwise, AKA is the only other brand that I've tried and they work.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #2090
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's done!

While waiting for the good CF panel to arrive, I tweaked the design of my chassis. All of the little issues in my g10 prototype have been fixed. I'm confident saying this is the final iteration of the design!

The new panel of CF showed up this week. The 2.5mm panel has a 3k plain weave outer layer on top of a quasi-isotropic uni-directional core. Good stuff for sure! It's so stiff I don't even need the upper side braces.

Upper side braces I'll probably never use. Certainly I over designed it the first time.

And finally, the most important part, how much does it weigh?
First, the stock chassis weight:

Weight with both sets of side stiffeners:

But wait, there's more! Weight with one set of side stiffeners:

With one set of side stiffeners I have a total weight reduction of 33g. Pretty darn impressive!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #2091
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kwiksi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68pontiac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
The JCo wheels I had left over from my B5M didn't fit without adding a washer onto the axle. The nut bottoms out before it tightens on the wheel. Otherwise, AKA is the only other brand that I've tried and they work.
Proline Velocity rears work with zero issues and are lighter than the TLR wheels for you stock guys.

Xray/RC America - JConcepts - Trinity - Sanwa - Hobbywing - Exotek - PT Racing Oils -Schelle
kwiksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #2092
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbenmbx7t View Post
I'm having a lot of front end push problems on carpet with my 3.0. I'm running the stock springs with 45wt in the front 40w in the rear. Basically box setup with the rear shocks at the outside hole on the rear a-arms and the fronts in the stock position. I've tried moving them around but the best has so far has been there. I took the wing down a line so I'd have a little less drag hoping to keep more weight on the front. I'm installing my gear diff this week for Saturday plan on running the Diff at 5k. Slipper isn't crazy tight. Proline wedges with cut down wheels up front and pin points in that back. I'm open to any suggestions if someone else has had the same issues and found a setup fix. Thanks!
I had a lot of push when I ran the proline wedges. Switched to Schumacher cut staggers and now have as much steering as I need. (Sometimes too much)
perch whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #2093
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidtrout View Post
The offset is completely different, isn't it?
The rear wheels from an AE car will fit onto the 22. It's the front wheels that are a different offset and cannot switch from AE to TLR.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #2094
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC10Nick View Post
It's done!

That looks fantastic.
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #2095
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Found out today that the Associated 69t spur and pads will work on the TLR slipper. If you run the +.75 alloy Tlr rear hexes you can run any rear wheel without shims or washers.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #2096
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

FEW IMPORTANT QUESTIONS BEFORE ORDERING

1. Has TLR released updated rear hinge pin holder and camber blocks yet? I heard the original ones were breaking? If so how can I tell which version kit is which? Will hobby shops have the updated kit if available? Or will TLR replace with the updated parts if contacted?

2. I saw Dustin Evans had an "astro" edition where the motor/tranny was mounted lower and more forward. Will this be available to the public? I plan on running my car mostly on carpet/astro. Is the 3.0 a good car for this? I already have a 22SCT 2.0, so it makes sense to get the 3.0, but not if its not running well on carpet.
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #2097
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For carpet, the Schumacher cut stagger low profile (yellow) for front and mini pins (blue) for the rear work way better for me than do the Proline carpet tires. I'm also running the kit setup, except ride height dropped to 20 mm if I recall.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #2098
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
Just received the 2WD gear diff from Desoto... included the black O'Ring

dont even bother installing it, it will leak out in 2 days. You can get the orings seperate but the shipping at Desoto is "unique"
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #2099
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckid19 View Post
I'm an ae guy and was just wondering how people really feel about this car and if it's worth switching all wheels and parts to a TLR I don't want to be dissapointed. Thanks guys
Car is really good and coming from a B5m you will be slightly quicker and more consistant. The car allows you to drive harder without fear of losing it. IMO the B5m is an "edgy" car which obviously is fast but fastest while on edge if you can drive it that way. Besides that the car doesnt slop out as bad as the AE. I switched from the AE and went from 3-4 to 1-2. For me the car fits my style very well. The car is hot right now and all of our locals that switched have went faster immediately. High bite, slicks and dirt glued.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #2100
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
For carpet, the Schumacher cut stagger low profile (yellow) for front and mini pins (blue) for the rear work way better for me than do the Proline carpet tires. I'm also running the kit setup, except ride height dropped to 20 mm if I recall.
Ok, thank you. Any comment on those two problem ALU parts?

Also are you running a gear diff? I was looking at buying the SRX2 gear diff.
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote