R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree14Likes

Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #1966
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBMaster View Post
I've been running the two gear setup with 15k for over a month now and its perfect. I've got another guy that started using the same setup this last weekend and loved it.
Ok thanks, will try tomorrow
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #1967
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
I can put my Orion setup up if you have an Orion ESC?
I'd be interested to see how you've got your Orion ESC set up for stock racing.

-Thanks, Todd
toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #1968
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
I'd be interested to see how you've got your Orion ESC set up for stock racing.

-Thanks, Todd
Punch @ 7, 5% drag brake, and everything else is pretty set.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #1969
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Mate - what's your email and location in Australia? I'll get you in touch with someone from our Australian team to help you get it sorted.

Glad it's getting right for you! Make sure to get those tires/foams sorted for next time, and it'll be even better!

I am actually running 32.5 front and 35 in the rear, as I did at Reedy Race, and is posted on my setup sheet

Most of the screws are M3.

2.4" = 60mm = 61mm = VTR = Evo....

Make sure to try the FULL setup when changing to one. For example, Maifield's setup doesn't use kit springs or pistons, like you are still running. Every part of the setup works in unison, when so changing only part of it, the rest may not be right and the balance could be poor.

I ran stock last week for a night, and ran my Reedy Race setup, only changing to a stiffer front spring (1 rate), and it was DIALED. I'd give that a shot, but remember to try all of it.
Why the stiffer spring up front in stock and did the heavier rear oil take out a little roll?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #1970
Tech Apprentice

Default 22 Buggy Owners! I need measurements of your front springs!

I'm looking for shorter buggy springs to run on my Proline Pro-Spec SC shocks for my 2wd shortcourse. I'm looking to drop ride height further than currently possible with the same rate as my current setup, currently running 4lb/ft springs with 40 weight, two hole 1.4mm pistons and 2mm internal limiters. I'm working on my high bite smooth carpet indoor offroad setup. It's just about dialed but I need to internally limit my front shocks further and run shorter springs to lower ride height and limit traction rolling further.

I just ordered part #'s TLR5177 and TLR5176 being almost sure they will work but I just now started doubting they will be long enough and I've been searching rc tech and google for about an hour and can't find dimension specs for these springs.

I need them to be at least a bare minimum of 1 ⅝" to 2" or 40mm-50mm. Can someone that owns a 22 buggy measure their front springs for me?
nttdemented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #1971
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's going on with the rear shock towers? No one has them.
TimmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #1972
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Speedychris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #1973
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
That's a tough one. It really goes by feel, and you won't always know when it's right, but you should know when it is wrong.

I can put my Orion setup up if you have an Orion ESC?

Sweet!
That would be great Frank, thanks
Speedychris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #1974
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromy82 View Post
That's why I love this forum!! Thanks Davidk!! That would help a ton, a little cheat sheet!! Ill see if I can dig one up.
I did a write up on Facebook a while back of my setup process. Check it out: https://m.facebook.com/groups/560084807384436?view=permalink&id=983235808402665

Complete with two cheat sheets to cross reference!
RedBMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #1975
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
I've broke one already. People might be breaking them and the stock isn't catching up. I don't see a lot of people on here posting about breaking them, but this crowd is a very small percentage of racers out there.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #1976
Tech Apprentice

Can anyone please measure their front spring lengths for me? I bought a set for a different application and I'm not sure of their length.
nttdemented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #1977
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmE View Post
I just ordered some from BeachRC.com earlier this week. They were in stock and shipped. I haven't broken mine, but I like having spare shock towers front and rear.
Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #1978
Tech Addict

So I'm sure others are having trouble trying to find indoor clay tires in stock anywhere. I've got gold dirt webs on backorder, but I don't know if they'll get here by March. I've been running carpet, but have a clay event coming up.

So I can get some Proline Electrons... But right now it's going to be 2.4" wheel/tire in the rear and 2.2" in the front. Is that going to be a problem? I believe the outside diameter should be the same after mounting the tires, but I don't know if the feel of the buggy is going to be unbalanced. Should I try to get 2.4" for the front as well? Typically I run 2.2", but I can't find Electrons or Dirt Webs in 2.2" rear in stock anywhere.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #1979
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
So I'm sure others are having trouble trying to find indoor clay tires in stock anywhere. I've got gold dirt webs on backorder, but I don't know if they'll get here by March. I've been running carpet, but have a clay event coming up.

So I can get some Proline Electrons... But right now it's going to be 2.4" wheel/tire in the rear and 2.2" in the front. Is that going to be a problem? I believe the outside diameter should be the same after mounting the tires, but I don't know if the feel of the buggy is going to be unbalanced. Should I try to get 2.4" for the front as well? Typically I run 2.2", but I can't find Electrons or Dirt Webs in 2.2" rear in stock anywhere.
What about JC Bar Flys? I run them when my clay indoor track is too dry for slicks.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #1980
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBMaster View Post
What about JC Bar Flys? I run them when my clay indoor track is too dry for slicks.
Dirt Webs, Ions, and Electrons are the go-to around here. Or so I'm told.

Basically, I just wonder if 2.4" rear and 2.2" up front will be really unstable or if it won't be that big of a deal.