R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Like Tree12Likes

Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #1576
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Batteries are not balanced some much worse than others.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:00 AM   #1577
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

guys, what is your thoughts on taping the battery in the car, i have seen the ae guys doing this, and some tlr racers have also, i like the look, but am concerned my battery would possibly fly out

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #1578
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
guys, what is your thoughts on taping the battery in the car, i have seen the ae guys doing this, and some tlr racers have also, i like the look, but am concerned my battery would possibly fly out
While it'd be lighter weight I would be worried that the tape could fail. I know it worked in on-road for years but the only "hits" they take are crashes. An off road car is jolted several times per lap no matter what.

I kinda' miss the velcro in my old RM car. Light & reliable, seems like it's a better solution than tape.

What are the AE guys taping to? are they cutting loops into their side-guards?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #1579
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Matt i have a solution for you take a look at my car.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #1580
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
While it'd be lighter weight I would be worried that the tape could fail. I know it worked in on-road for years but the only "hits" they take are crashes. An off road car is jolted several times per lap no matter what.

I kinda' miss the velcro in my old RM car. Light & reliable, seems like it's a better solution than tape.

What are the AE guys taping to? are they cutting loops into their side-guards?
Yeah, how are both taping to their cars. Please don't tell me they are going all the way around the chassis? Of course, fast isn't always pretty. On a side note, the strapping tape that it used in on-road it dang strong. I've seen some really nasty on-road crashes and amazingly, the batteries are still held in place. Of course, I've seen batteries come out and go sliding across the track from a simple turn.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #1581
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHGUAM1 View Post
Strange mine came out right on the money. See my earlier post with the car on the scales. I think on page 100.
Mine was really good on the scale too

Quote:
The battery strap anchoring to the waterfall and mounting to the posts is an integral part of the chassis structure and flex. I do NOT recommend removing it.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #1582
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Loctite/3M 100Lbs double sided tape.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #1583
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPod View Post
I am trying to balance my car and have a few questions.

I was surprised to see that I needed to add ~60g next to the bell of the motor to get the car to balance left to right. All my electrics are centered behind the servo; receiver and ESC in that order. I suspect that the imbalance is due to external transmission (spur, pinion, motor plate & cover) since it is the only non-symmetric component of the car.
Is this typical to have to add 60g just to balance the transmission?

Also, what is the suggested front to rear balance to start with?
Do a double check on your shock collars and make sure your shock preload is even. I would figure you would have that detail down if you are you going to this extreme but this is odd. What motor you running?

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #1584
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Loctite/3M 100Lbs double sided tape.
Are they yanking their packs every run or charging in the chassis?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #1585
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Are they yanking their packs every run or charging in the chassis?
You have to leave it in the chassis. i ran my b5m like that. never an issue, not sure if I want to do it with my 3.0
Old 01-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #1586
Tech Adept

The battery strap anchoring to the waterfall and mounting to the posts is an integral part of the chassis structure and flex. I do NOT recommend removing it.

+1
Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #1587
Tech Apprentice

Post Left to Right Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHGUAM1 View Post
Strange mine came out right on the money. See my earlier post with the car on the scales. I think on page 100.
This is my first attempt at "balancing" a car. I probably wouldn't have bothered, but my car is ~90g under weight and I just wanted to optimize the placement of that weight.

The attached images show how I have balanced the car. The scales show that the rear is ~10g unbalanced. To get it to balance out completely I had to add ~60g of weights next to the motor bell end. This also shows nicely perfect balance by suspending the car in air using two picks, one on the rear wing mount center screw (unique to the 3.0) and one on the center of the front bulk head, just above the bumper.

Not sure if anyone has been this particular about left to right balance, but I thought I would give it a try.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
DJPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #1588
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPod View Post
This is my first attempt at "balancing" a car. I probably wouldn't have bothered, but my car is ~90g under weight and I just wanted to optimize the placement of that weight.

The attached images show how I have balanced the car. The scales show that the rear is ~10g unbalanced. To get it to balance out completely I had to add ~60g of weights next to the motor bell end. This also shows nicely perfect balance by suspending the car in air using two picks, one on the rear wing mount center screw (unique to the 3.0) and one on the center of the front bulk head, just above the bumper.

Not sure if anyone has been this particular about left to right balance, but I thought I would give it a try.
somthing is wrong there...

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #1589
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
somthing is wrong there...
+1
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #1590
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Bummer, I guess I went overboard on eliminating weight buy not installing the battery latch and using velcro to mount the battery.

I have run two races so far this way. Not sure how the extra flex is affecting performance yet. Eventually, I will have to try it with the battery latch installed.