Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread! >

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Frank just wondering what the benefits of the +3 rear hubs are and if they increase/reduce the amount of driveshaft in the outdrive?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MX304
Laydown trans conversion coming too! http://www.redrc.net/2016/03/tlr-22-...on-conversion/
Wow that's not cheap. Like buying a whole extra car
Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rally stylz
It's cheaper than the Anders Lind B5M conversion stuff and it's not 3D printed "quality". Maybe if they get enough interest there will be a complete carpet kit at some point.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

They should release a full kit as well (my opinion). Just a matter of putting it all in a box with a manual. I know I'm going to end up building a 2nd car after all is said and done.

Maybe with stiffer springs and HRC blocks included? I don't know if anybody's running the HRC pivots, but I've got some on the way to try out. (carpet)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kewlbug
They should release a full kit as well (my opinion). Just a matter of putting it all in a box with a manual. I know I'm going to end up building a 2nd car after all is said and done.

Maybe with stiffer springs and HRC blocks included? I don't know if anybody's running the HRC pivots, but I've got some on the way to try out. (carpet)
Last weekend was my first time with the HRC on my buggy (been running them a little longer on my 22sct). Definitely worth it for carpet. I was running between 19 and 20 mm ride height like most others here to fight traction roll. But it made it very unforgiving on landings. After adding the HRC front and back, I was able to raise the ride height to 21-22 mm (still with less roll than before) and I regained forgiveness on less than perfectly flat landings.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Totally agree with that. If your local track is carpet and the carpet kits appear to have a clear advantage one would have to buy a car for 329 and a carpet kit for 179. That would steer some away from the hobby completely. If carpet continues to grow like i think it will the new standard will be a carpet car and a dirt car. Just like a few years back it was rm car or mm car. Xray has already set the standard for it.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:00 AM
Tech Addict

I agree... Even though I already have the 3.0 and my local track is carpet, I would absolutely buy a carpet-specific kit if it came out and then leave this one set up for dirt. Hopefully Frank and the team take this into consideration and maybe offer both the conversion and a complete kit. One can hope!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Is direct drive another option intended for carpet? or more for 17.5 guys?

Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

17.5 on med-higher bite tracks with a smooth surface.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:21 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sc Sandman
Frank just wondering what the benefits of the +3 rear hubs are and if they increase/reduce the amount of driveshaft in the outdrive?
Raises the rear axle by 3mm, reducing the amount of bone plunge. The frees up the rear of the cars to car more corner speed.
Originally developed for the 22-4, we found these hubs to increase performance for the 22 3.0 on higher grip carpet and Astro tracks.

Aluminum chassis, machined gear cases, motor plate, carbon battery strap, body, aluminum rear hubs, and all the hardware. I think you'll find it is by far the best "lay down" value.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

HELP !!!
My first build . As soon as I mount the Camber Tierod's the suspension arms bind. They're not free like the rears. What am I doing wrong? I triple checked the length and I'm right on 77.4 mm per spec.What am I doing wrong ?!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Carpet is where you need a slipper the most! It's for stock guys who have it locked up anyway to help shed weight
Old 03-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hopzeus
HELP !!!
My first build . As soon as I mount the Camber Tierod's the suspension arms bind. They're not free like the rears. What am I doing wrong? I triple checked the length and I'm right on 77.4 mm per spec.What am I doing wrong ?!!!!!!
Put a battery in it and run it. They will move freely by the time you get back to your pit table.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hopzeus
HELP !!!
If you cranked down the kingpin screw on the caster blocks it will cause the whole arm to bind up, when you attach the links. Check that first, just back it off a hair, then check it.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Without posting my full setup, although I can do that later, my inside rear tire is lifting during hard corners. This is on a high-grip carpet track. What is going on with the car? Too much weight transfer to the front outside? What types of things would I do to address this?

My first thought is stiffer front springs. Then I'm just guessing at thicker rear oil, maybe less droop in the rear.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.