TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Jason
In order to run jconcepts 60mm wheels, what do I need to buy?

I assume the wheel the JC lists for the 22 uses the smaller hex.
If they are 22 2.0 60mm wheels (which like you I believe they are) then you will need the 22 2.0 front axels. Then you will be good to go
Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason
In order to run jconcepts 60mm wheels, what do I need to buy?

I assume the wheel the JC lists for the 22 uses the smaller hex.
TLR also offers a 61mm wheel for the 22 3.0 unless you previously had the 22 2.0 then yes you would need the 22 2.0 front hex.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default My first little test

What a delightful build and awesome car. As all have said, it's a brilliant piece of machinery, and Frank and the rest of the team has really listened in what is going on around the world of offroad, with the switch to higher grip.

I had my second day on carpet today, my first with some confidence, since not having run since september. Sadly there was no timing on my local track, but racing with some good guys including Euro A-finalist and Reedy race boy wonder Daniel Kobbevik, I could pretty much tell where I was, and last but not least where the car was. It's really got some potential, and during the day I got it to do mostly everything I want it to. I added 3mm of limiters in the rear shocks to reduce the inner wheel lifting, and the brass pivot to make the front dig in a bit more. Lower links to roll less, and lower roll center to land a bit better, thicker oil to calm everything down, and we're getting there.

Setup here: http://teamsmallsize.files.wordpress...e_practice.pdf

Next week will be the first race with this car, the DHI cup in Denmark. 160 guys in offroad, among them Coelho, Bayer, Ronnefalk, Orlowski, and several other good guys, so anywhere above the middle of the field will do for me:-p

There's only two things I don't like about this car. One is the lack of a 2mm or 2.5mm screw in the middle of the rear toe block, which I can't really see a reason to leave out, and the other is the fact that the offset of the front wheels make the car far too wide with the mandatory preglued tires of the EOS, and now more races around the world. Not big issues at all, and way to late to rectify, but I hope TLR/Frank consider the offset issue. EOS is a great racing series that I'd like to do, but when the car is more than 5mm to wide, I'm not sure if that's ok:P
Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Martin, with the new VLA feature you may be do a little bit of hand-fitting (likely remove material from the arm) to use the outer hole on the caster block and inner hole on the arm to bring in the width a bit. I can't say what impact that will have on the geometry..
Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka
Martin, with the new VLA feature you may be do a little bit of hand-fitting (likely remove material from the arm) to use the outer hole on the caster block and inner hole on the arm to bring in the width a bit. I can't say what impact that will have on the geometry..
I have thought about it, or check if the old parts can be used. I don't have the car with me right now, but that's on the list of things to find out;-)
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default S2 body for the 3.0

I see guys running the s2 body for there 3.0. It isn't released yet for the 3.0 so my question is that does the one for the b5 work for the 3.0 also??
Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm just about to get started on my 3.0 build but I'm a little confused about the wheel situation.

I'm crystal-clear on the hex change for the 3.0 but not wheel diameters. The kit wheels are 56mm (2.2in) but I notice TLR has also made 61mm (2.4in) available as have a handful of third party companies. This is my very first 2WD buggy so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all my choices.

1. What are the performance/handling differences with the larger diameter?
2. Do I still put 2.2 tires and foam on these?
EDIT: 3. Are the offsets the same between the two diameters?

Thanks

Last edited by MNiceGuy; 01-03-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grek84
I see guys running the s2 body for there 3.0. It isn't released yet for the 3.0 so my question is that does the one for the b5 work for the 3.0 also??
Isn't this what you are referring too? If so, you can order it from JCon, it's avail. If I'm confused, I apologize.

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/s2-tlr-22-30-body
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Car is on rails. Driver wasn't up to par this weekend so I let the local fast guy drive it a few times as we have our go to B5 suspension setup on the car. It's just as fast as his B5 that's full of hop up's. The car is so smooth to drive, jumps like a dream, and did I mention smoothness I look forward to the next time I run this car.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

The kit ballcups don't fit Lunsford turnbuckles and some of the ballcups are offset. What are you guys using Lunsford turnbuckles using for ballcups?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Car is on rails. Driver wasn't up to par this weekend so I let the local fast guy drive it a few times as we have our go to B5 suspension setup on the car. It's just as fast as his B5 that's full of hop up's. The car is so smooth to drive, jumps like a dream, and did I mention smoothness I look forward to the next time I run this car.
SETUP SHEET PLEASE
Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCMaster1
The kit ballcups don't fit Lunsford turnbuckles and some of the ballcups are offset. What are you guys using Lunsford turnbuckles using for ballcups?
I used the stock ball cups and Lunsford turnbuckles without any issues. Just make sure you get the turnbuckle kit for the 3.0 car with the correct thread size. I believe the 2.0 car had a smaller thread.

http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/me...ode=CARS-L2230
Old 01-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I used the stock ball cups and Lunsford turnbuckles without any issues. Just make sure you get the turnbuckle kit for the 3.0 car with the correct thread size. I believe the 2.0 car had a smaller thread.

http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/me...ode=CARS-L2230
Thanks for the reply. I thought I was ordering the right product from A Main, but looking at their site now I don't think they have the set for the 22 3.0. I'll try to make these work or order the correct set direct from Lunsford.

If anyone else is planning on getting these turnbuckles I recommend dealing direct with Lunsford.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
I'm just about to get started on my 3.0 build but I'm a little confused about the wheel situation.

I'm crystal-clear on the hex change for the 3.0 but not wheel diameters. The kit wheels are 56mm (2.2in) but I notice TLR has also made 61mm (2.4in) available as have a handful of third party companies. This is my very first 2WD buggy so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all my choices.

1. What are the performance/handling differences with the larger diameter?
2. Do I still put 2.2 tires and foam on these?
EDIT: 3. Are the offsets the same between the two diameters?

Thanks

60/61mm wheels are a taller wheel, 2.4 inches vs 2.2 inches. The 2.4(60/61mm) tires have a smaller sidewall and offer a different feel than 2.2 tires. Some people prefer them others don't. 2.2 and 2.4(60/61mm) wheels and tires are not interchangeable.

AKA does offer a conversion kit that allows you to mount 2.4 tires on 2.2 wheels.

I mention the 3 sizes because that it what you see. Jconcepts labels the wheels at 60mm, TLR and ASC label them as 61mm. Sometimes you see them labeled as 2.4. AKA calls them EVO.

It is very confusing for the new consumer, we had to separate the 2.2 and 2.4 wheels and tires from each other at our shop. People still grab the wrong wheel and tire combo.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kas10Racing
What you be some steps to increase steering, besides changing front pistons, springs and changing washers on the ballstuds?
Those are really the things you want to change though, the easiest to tune with. Any reason why you don't want to change those things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.